Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new video from developer Steven Troughton-Smith has emerged on YouTube, showing off the activation of hidden code for split screen multitasking in the iOS 8 beta. The feature is shown off in the iOS simulator on Mac, hence the mouse cursor, awkward two-finger gestures and its rough overall look.

The feature was first rumored in March for introduction in iOS 8, but was pulled because it was not ready in time for WWDC. However, it was discovered just a couple of days ago that iOS 8's internal SpringBoard includes code that allows apps to run side-by-side.

In the video, the three sizes are shown (1/3, 1/2 and 3/4) when using two fingers to scroll to the side. However, it's not evident how to open a second app next to the already opened app, likely because the feature is still being developed.

Split-screen multitasking may initially be limited to the iPad Air, with support for smaller devices, like the iPad Mini and rumored 5.5-inch iPhone 6, at a later date. The feature could also make it to Apple's rumored 12.9-inch "iPad Pro" that may or may not be in development.

Article Link: Video Showing How Apple's Unfinished Split Screen iPad Multitasking Works

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
So the bigger sizes are iPad-styled and the smaller ones are iPhone-styled. Cool!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Shouldn't the headline read "Video Showing How Apple's Split Screen iPad Multitasking Might Work"?

This is apples code, so it's how it works right now (internally at least)

arn

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Clearly, MS and Google caught wind that Apple was working on this and rushed to get their multi-tasking features out the door first. :p

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
This is apples code, so it's how it works right now (internally at least)

arn

I don't agree. The headline says "multitasking" and i don't see that "working" at all right now. So i'd say this isn't how it "works." It's how it might work.

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
So 1/4 and 1/2 are basically iPhone layout and 3/4 and of course 4/4 are the iPad layout. I like the idea!

dspalton

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2008
Fleet, UK
I am prepared to get slammed for this, as i don't have a screenshot or anything, BUT

on my iPad mini the other day, i was in the queue checkin in at Narita Airport, when i got an email from American Airlines.
Opened the email, then clicked on the AA link. Mini was in landscape mode.
I then got called forward and pressed the power button to lock it.
Checked in, went to lounge, showered etc, then opened up the iPad again to download the paper.
When i opened up, on the left hand side, i had the AA website, that i could scroll up and down on, over the Mail app, which i could still see the later side (right hand side) of my mails. Went to grab the phone and take a picture, but by the time i was there the mini had crashed.

As i say, prepared to get slammed but it sounds like thats what its likely to be...

Dave

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I don't agree. The headline says "multitasking" and i don't see that "working" at all right now. So i'd say this isn't how it "works." It's how it might work.

It really doesn't matter how "works" is used in this context, but fine: Would Video Showing How Apple's Split-Screen iPad Multitasking Functions please you?

Traisoon

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
I like the way how Apple implemented that. Surely more user friendly than other competitor. :D

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Agreed. Until he shows the code and how it is clearly about multiple apps, or a working simulation of the full feature, who knows what this is

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Mark Gurman posted this on 9to5Mac so according to his logic Apple will for sure be redesigning this. :D

Bhatu

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2013
I think it would be left for the developer to decide if they want their app to be multi window compatiable. I remember a new option for choosing different resolutions in new xcode. The developers can choose the appropriate layout for several resolutions like full 3/4 1/2 1/4 etc.

I see a great possibility of running iPhone optimised apps at 1/4th resolution on ipad. Very cool!! :D

Last edited:

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
I could see something popping up in the pane with nothing in it, prompting you to choose an app or perhaps even showing the home screen.

childlost

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2003
new york city
Why do we even need that?
What's all this multitasking craze?
If there's one thing that iPad does well is to let you focus and enjoy what you're doing, without any clutter around and behind it.
That's the beauty of it.
Why on earth would you want to create a stressful experience on a device meant to be enjoyed?
It's really sad.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I'm already quite fond of the way the iPad handles task-switching or multi-tasking.

I like using the four-finger swipe to switch between full screen apps. It's fast and simple.

But the idea of having two apps side-by-side in super-skinny narrow columns doesn't appeal to me at all.

YMMV

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.