Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sai_digitalle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
Hey guys, my Quad is coming in on this upcoming Tuesday and i'm going to buy some Ram for it. Currently I'm battling between MacSales.com and 18004Memory.com. I'm buying 4GB's of RAM.

18004Memory.com: $348.95/Fed-Ex overnight/4GB RAM/Generic Brand
MacSales.com: $452.00/DHL Overnight/4GB RAM/Samsung Brand

How reliable is this "Generic" RAM from 18004MEMORY.com? After Macsales, i looked at Crucial.com, they were like $600+, so these are the two lowest i've seen. Does anyone have any experience with either company?

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
sai_digitalle said:
Hey guys, my Quad is coming in on this upcoming Tuesday and i'm going to buy some Ram for it. Currently I'm battling between MacSales.com and 18004Memory.com. I'm buying 4GB's of RAM.

18004Memory.com: $348.95/Fed-Ex overnight/4GB RAM/Generic Brand
MacSales.com: $452.00/DHL Overnight/4GB RAM/Samsung Brand

How reliable is this "Generic" RAM from 18004MEMORY.com? After Macsales, i looked at Crucial.com, they were like $600+, so these are the two lowest i've seen. Does anyone have any experience with either company?
I would not go with Generic, I would say its most likely not going to work out well. MacSales is garenteed to work, otherwise they will replace it. You can also go to Crucial.com and see what their memory costs.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
mikeyredk said:
why get generic when you can get branded for same price or close to $366 w/o shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146371
What? Mushkin memory with no guarantee of Mac compatiblity is called branded? Sorry, not in my book. I also don't like NewEgg and their ability to charge you 15% plus shipping to return it if it doesn't work.

18004memory (Coast to Coast) is a reputable dealer. So is OWC (MacSales). If they say their generic is tested and guaranteed to work in your Quad, I would believe them. The MAc guaranteed 18004memory kit is $399.
Data Memory Systems has 4 Gb for $380 guaranteed Mac compatible. In the USA, these are the people I would go with.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

mikeyredk

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2003
CanadaRAM said:
What? Mushkin memory with no guarantee of Mac compatiblity is called branded? Sorry, not in my book. I also don't like NewEgg and their ability to charge you 15% plus shipping to return it if it doesn't work.

18004memory (Coast to Coast) is a reputable dealer. So is OWC (MacSales). If they say their generic is tested and guaranteed to work in your Quad, I would believe them. The MAc guaranteed 18004memory kit is $399.
Data Memory Systems has 4 Gb for $380 guaranteed Mac compatible. In the USA, these are the people I would go with.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

I bought 2X1 Gig for 218 for my iMac Rev. B works just fine just take of the heat shield

sai_digitalle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
CanadaRAM said:

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Trevor,
thanks a million for the depth in your advice. I especially appreciate the detailed breakdown of NewEgg's return policies and non-guarantee of compatability. That's very important information! Even if the memory is Generic, as long as the company is reputable I'll purchase their product. I'm going go with 18004memory.com's 4 or 8GB packages.

I'm also in the market for a great internal hard drive deal preferrably 200GB and up in capacity for my newly arriving G5 Quad. Any great deals out there you fellas can direct me towards?

Thanks again.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
I use both 4allmemory and memorytogo for all of my Macs and have never had a problem. All RAM sold from there is guaranteed for life and sells lower than most other vendors. And BTW, you don't always get generic RAM. I've actually gotten Micron (Crucial) RAM from there before.

I work as a PC Technician in a computer repair shop, and we've had a lot of RAM go bad from NewEgg. So I wouldn't recommend NewEgg either.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
mklos said:
you don't always get generic RAM. I've actually gotten Micron (Crucial) RAM from there before.
The whole question of what does generic mean is thorny.

On one hand you can say that brand names like Crucial and Kingston are not generic, but both companies make non-model-specific generic RAM as well as their model-specific.

Well then, what about who makes the RAM? Then you have to define - what is 'makes'? Samsung and Micron are two of the few companies who both manufacture the chips (called fabricators), and assemble those chips onto finished modules. But you can't buy directly from either company unless you are buying 10,000 lots, so you have to buy from a reseller, who may or may not put their brand name on it. Crucial sells Micron RAM, but not all Crucial is Micron, some of it is Infineon or Samsung. You can buy Samsung modules from lots of third party resellers (such as 1800, OWC and DMS and Apple).

More common is RAM that is manufactured from one company's chips on another's circuit boards, and perhaps sold by a third company. Kingston assembles most of their own modules on their own boards, but the chips will come from any of the major fabs. You also get any number of companies who assemble chips onto third-party boards, they'll put a name on it, then a reseller will sell it, perhaps putting their own brand name on it as well -- this type of 'hybrid' module would be called "Samsung on Third" for example, and that's as close as you can come to defining a generic module from the source point of view.

More useful is to simply define 'generic' as being "RAM that is not guaranteed for any specific machine" and 'non-generic' as being "RAM that is tested and guaranteed for a specific make and model of computer" irrespective of the brand of the chips it is made out of.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
CanadaRAM said:
The whole question of what does generic mean is thorny...
Poor Canada. You give such a detailed and patient response at least once a week (or so it seems). If I read a few more of these posts of yours, I could probably out-geek my geeky gamer friends. ;)

sai_digitalle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
Info Is Muey Importanto!

CanadaRAM said:
The whole question of what does generic mean is thorny.

On one hand you can say that brand names like Crucial and Kingston are not generic, but both companies make non-model-specific generic RAM as well as their model-specific.

Well then, what about who makes the RAM? Then you have to define - what is 'makes'? Samsung and Micron are two of the few companies who both manufacture the chips (called fabricators), and assemble those chips onto finished modules. But you can't buy directly from either company unless you are buying 10,000 lots, so you have to buy from a reseller, who may or may not put their brand name on it. Crucial sells Micron RAM, but not all Crucial is Micron, some of it is Infineon or Samsung. You can buy Samsung modules from lots of third party resellers (such as 1800, OWC and DMS and Apple).

More common is RAM that is manufactured from one company's chips on another's circuit boards, and perhaps sold by a third company. Kingston assembles most of their own modules on their own boards, but the chips will come from any of the major fabs. You also get any number of companies who assemble chips onto third-party boards, they'll put a name on it, then a reseller will sell it, perhaps putting their own brand name on it as well -- this type of 'hybrid' module would be called "Samsung on Third" for example, and that's as close as you can come to defining a generic module from the source point of view.

More useful is to simply define 'generic' as being "RAM that is not guaranteed for any specific machine" and 'non-generic' as being "RAM that is tested and guaranteed for a specific make and model of computer" irrespective of the brand of the chips it is made out of.

Awesome, awesome, awesome information as usual. I'll be purchasing 8GB's from 1800Memory.com. Reputation is seriously important, and when the forums speak for you- it's GOLDEN! Thanks alot fellas!

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
sai_digitalle said:
Awesome, awesome, awesome information as usual. I'll be purchasing 8GB's from 1800Memory.com. Reputation is seriously important, and when the forums speak for you- it's GOLDEN! Thanks alot fellas!

Why exactly do you need 8GB's of RAM? Seems a little over kill if you ask me...

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
mklos said:
Why exactly do you need 8GB's of RAM? Seems a little over kill if you ask me...

Don't you know? He's attempting to take over the world. That's the only thing that requires that much!

::snicker, snicker::

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I just put a 1GB DDR2 SDRAM (4200) from 1-800-4-Memory into my new iMac G5 1.9GHz and it works......it cost me $80 (and that includes shipping). Just thought I'd update this thread with some positive info for anyone thinking of shopping there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.