Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung today introduced a new version of its Galaxy Tab, the Galaxy Tab S, at an event in New York entitled "Tab Into Color." Available in both 8.4 and 10.5-inch sizes, the Galaxy Tab S includes a high-resolution (2560 x 1600) Super AMOLED display. According to Samsung, the Tab S's display has a more accurate color range, better contrast, and higher outdoor visibility than an LCD display.

Billed as the company's new flagship tablet, the Galaxy Tab S is Samsung's "best tablet yet," according to the company, and also its thinnest and lightest at 6.6mm. "Tab S is guaranteed to turn heads wherever you go, and to give it a more premium look, we trimmed it in gold to give it an aura of luxury," said Michael Abary, senior VP of marketing for Samsung Electronics America.

galaxytabs.jpg
Along with a built-in fingerprint sensor, the Galaxy Tab S includes a "Sidesync" feature that mirrors one of the Handoff features that Apple announced with iOS 8. Sidesync allows the Galaxy Tab S to answer phone calls routed through a Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone if both devices are on the same WiFi network. The Tab S is also able to remotely access a PC and multiple Tab S tablets in the same room can connect with one another.

Samsung's fingerprint sensor allows multiple users to share a tablet, accommodating up to eight different users. A fingerprint scan loads different users based on fingerprint, and also integrates with a new Kids Mode, allowing children unable to enter a password to unlock the Galaxy Tab S using a finger.

Samsung's Galaxy Tab S will run Android 4.4 (KitKat) and with its efficient display, it offers 11 hours of battery life. It will come pre-loaded with a slew of apps like Papergarden, an interactive magazine viewer, and the Galaxy Gifts widget, which will provide various offers like 90 days of free Google Music. Accessories for the Tab S include a Book Cover with multiple viewing angles and a bluetooth keyboard.

Available in brown and white, the WiFi versions of the tablets will be available in the U.S. in July, with LTE versions following shortly thereafter. The 10.5-inch version will retail for $499, while the 8.4-inch version will retail for $399, pricing on par with Apple's iPad lineup.

Apple is said to be working new versions of the iPad Air and the Retina iPad mini, but those are not expected to launch until the fall. The tablets are expected to include an A8 processor, an upgraded camera, and a Touch ID fingerprint sensor.

Article Link: Samsung Announces Galaxy Tab S With Super AMOLED Display, Multi-User Fingerprint Sensor

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
They're thinner and lighter than the iPads, have longer battery life (11+h); and they actually look good.

Only problem: Android.

Last edited:

larrylaffer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
Los Angeles
Is it just me, or is Samsung's choice of monikers for their devices completely impossible to follow? Is that a marketing strategy of some kind?

I have what's called a "Galaxy Tab 7" at home that I got for free from my ISP. I have no idea what generation it is, as I think more than one kind exist. :confused:

RubenTheys

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2010
4 words, 4 different fonts. Really? :(

Not that it has the slightest bit to do with the product itself, but it perfectly sums up the chaos that Samsung's mobile devices line-up is.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Looks great and I really like Samsung's designs/devices but I dont care about the fingerprint scanner. I dont not put locks on any of my devices.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Sidesync allows the Galaxy Tab S to answer phone calls routed through a Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone if both devices are on the same WiFi network. The Tab S is also able to remotely access a PC and multiple Tab S tablets in the same room can connect with one another.

Where have I heard that before? :rolleyes:

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
Is it just me, or is Samsung's choice of monikers for their devices completely impossible to follow? Is that a marketing strategy of some kind?

I have what's called a "Galaxy Tab 7" at home that I got for free from my ISP. I have no idea what generation it is, as I think more than one kind exist. :confused:

Their naming system is quite confusing. I know exactly what you're talking about. I always figured I just didn't follow Samsung's product line enough.

AstronomyiPhone

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2013
Maryland
Samsung's competitor-copying department can check some things off their to-do list...

• "thinnest and lightest yet"
  • Gold
  • Answer phone calls from another device
  • Fingerprint scanner

If only they could get them to actually work...

Last edited:

MarkLal

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2011
I have now actually lost count of the number of tablets Samsung has in the market. Choices are good. But too much of anything is never good.

Lordskelic

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2010
Texas
I feel like Samsung executives just reach into a hat that contains various slips of paper with words on them such as "Galaxy", "Pro" "S" and different roman numerals and just name the product after whatever they grab.

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
If you're going to run a story about a competing product on MacRumors, at least give it some relevance. Otherwise it's just a promo for a non-Apple product.

That is, tell us why and how this is significant to Apple. How is the product better than Apple's etc.

What does it mean to Apple.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
The only reason I have an smart phone like the iPhone is because of the GPS, the rest of the applications are... what ever.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
How many tablets has samsung released? I feel like they update them every 2 months......and i've never seen anyone actually buy one.

Boatboy24

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop
Billed as the company's new flagship tablet, the Galaxy Tab S is Samsung's "best tablet yet,"

I really wish everyone would stop with the 'best yet' garbage. Do we really expect them to come on stage and say "our last product was much cooler, but this one isn't too shabby!"?

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
Is it a swiping fingerprint scanner like the galaxy phone or just do it with an unmoving scan like apple?

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Apple played a lot of catch-up with iOS 8, and now Samsung is playing some catch-up as well. Ultimately, this will benefit users of both, so regardless of how little you like Android, Samsung, or even Apple, this is some good news.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
And what exactly does this have to do with Apple? Will we get a front page story the next time Sony releases a new tablet? :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.