Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today launched a exchange program in 36 countries for certain models of its 5W European USB power adapter, which the company says may overheat and pose a safety risk in some cases, reports German site iFun (Google Translate).

apple_5w_european_adapter.png
The affected adapters, which are identified as Model A1300, originally came with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and iPhone 4S models that shipped from October 2009 to September 2012. Apple is allowing users to bring in the affected adapters to an Apple Retail Store or participating Apple Authorized Service Provider, and will give a new adapter after a corresponding iPhone serial number is verified.

The program differs from Apple's third-party USB charger takeback program, which launched last year in over thirty countries. That program allows users to trade-in a third-party USB charger for a discount on an official Apple charger, and was created following the electrocution of a Chinese woman that may have been caused counterfeit iPhone charger.

Article Link: Apple Launches Exchange Program for 5W European USB Power Adapter

OlivierK

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2014
Belgium
I got one of those, I guess I should go and get a new one. Although I have been using it for 2 years so far and no problems...

Last edited:

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011
Just had a look, not affected, but needed an electron microscope to read the number!

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
Must indeed be rare if it took that long to discover.

I still have some power adapters in original packaging. Does anybody know if I can tell if they're affected without opening them?
The model number isn't on the outside, but the copyright says 2012 and the schematics seem to depict iPhone 5 and Lightning style, so I guess I'm good.

SwissMac2

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2010
Switzerland
I have one of those iPhones but my adaptor looks nothing like the illustration - it certainly doesn't have a rhomboid shape but is the old block shape like the one the first iPhone shipped with in Europe.

It looks like your graphic artist created an illustration of what his charger looked like (using a US model) and linked it with an article about a European model. I mean, Europe is just like Kansas, isn't it?

pmontanarella

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
I have one of those iPhones but my adaptor looks nothing like the illustration - it certainly doesn't have a rhomboid shape but is the old block shape like the one the first iPhone shipped with in Europe.

It looks like your graphic artist created an illustration of what his charger looked like (using a US model) and linked it with an article about a European model. I mean, Europe is just like Kansas, isn't it?

Actually they exist. It's just the image is from a weird perspective.

Link (italian store)

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

It's from the Agerman source article, because presumably that's what they look like.

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2009
I got one of those, I guess I should go and get a new one. Although I have been using it for 2 years so far and no problems...

It is foolish to think you will be OK just because it hasn't overheated over the last two years. You should get it replaced as should anyone that has an affected adapter. Don't take chances.

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007

I don't know about Switzerland, but in Germany the adapters that shipped with 3GS and later look exactly like this.

Are we talking about the illustration they copied straight from Apple's exchange website?

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
Next recall must be this disaster:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4766577?tstart=0

Martin81

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2013
Germany
I got one of those Power Adapters.

Will visit my local Reseller next week. But I wonder, why they want the serial number of my iPhone. Bought the effected Power Adapter separately.

pauliaK

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2012
Banff, AB

Will visit my local Reseller next week. But I wonder, why they want the serial number of my iPhone. Bought the effected Power Adapter separately.

Perhaps it's like 1 exchange per phone. They would make a note of your IMEI or something.

And if it's the case I wonder whether they would replace mine since I'm in Europe now and have bought an European charger separately though my phone itself is from Canada and I bought it factory unlocked from an Apple store, so it came with American charger.

I doubt it's a problem since I had my iPad replaced in Canada which I bought in US, just curious though.

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia

Yeah, I actually have 2 of those A1300 ones as my spare chargers. But why would I need to hunt those old serial numbers from iPhones I don't have anymore (one 4 lost, one 3G given away)?

If the adapters are not safe, just exchange them. Definitely will visit my local Apple authorised service provider and try to exchange them anyway. :rolleyes:

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
I once had to replace Apple headphones that I bought without a device under warranty.

They just wanted *any* device serial number (even from a MacBook), because I guess that's how they connect the "repair" to your customer data or maybe that's how their internal accounting works.

It sounded like I could have gotten it replaced without any serial number, too, but then they couldn't have done it automatically through their system (maybe requiring permission from the manager or something).

Dezmond

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2014
Got one of these with my iPhone4. Haven't noticed any problems so far but might trade it in if I've got the time.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

well jokes on you. the charger has been this tiny since the iPhone 4 at least in Germany and Spain

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
That redesign of the "CE" though! Newsworthy because graphic design tickles my fancy.
wink-smiley.png

Now it is consistent and harmonious with the other icons.
thumb_smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-053.gif

Kuray

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2010
"It was also sold as a standalone accessory."

So you can replace it if you bought it separately. But they may require you proof of receipt. Than you can request receipt if you bought it from Apple Store.

I will replace the charger and frayed cable with my friend's serial number

OlivierK

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2014
Belgium
It is foolish to think you will be OK just because it hasn't overheated over the last two years. You should get it replaced as should anyone that has an affected adapter. Don't take chances.

That's not what I meant. I meant that it's not my number 1 priority of things to do today... I am obviously going to get it replaced

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.