Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GhostRaider

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
I rather see the full price of iPhones than stupid contracts gimmicks. Let me see:

iPhone 6 5.5: $749 (Extra Large Display)
iPhone 6 4.7: $649 (Large Display)
iPhone 5S: $549 (Medium Display)
iPhone 5C: $449 (Medium Display)
iPhone 4S: $349 (Small Display)

I could imagine Apple still selling the iPhone 4S so that they can say users have a choice in the screen size they want. If the iPhone 6 5.5 started at $649, Apple can gladly take my money.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I hope they do release a phablet. I would find it useful.

If it disappoints you that they do, that will just be gravy.

No. Too many SKUs is a bad thing. It's best to limit them to good product lines. Phablets are jack of all trades and masters of none. I think Apple should just add phone calling capabilities to the next iPad Mini. That's Apple's large phablet. And then keep the iPhone phone sized.

5t3f4n

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
It better come with 32GB standard then

I don't get this fascination with with more storage by default.
With services like Spotify, Netflix, iTunes Radio etc. gaining popularity we actually need less local storage than we did a couple of years ago.

And for the minority who do need more (myself included) they already offer the 64GB version. And I'm fine with this.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
I really don't understand the desire for these gigantic phones... I wouldn't choose the 5.5in model if it was the same price much less pay a $100 premium for one.
No one will make you choose a gigantic phone. But some of us do want it, for reasons that you say are beyond you. You probably have a few desires that other people don't understand, too.

WhoDaKat

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
You are dreaming if you think any of the new iPhones will come standard with 32 GB. Its a nice dream, but still a dream.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
So, the pricing will be like this?

iPhone 5c: Free
iPhone 5s (8 GB): $99
iPhone 6 (4.7 inch, 16 GB): $199
iPhone 6 (5.5 inch, 32 GB): $299

all with 2-year contract.

according to your pricing, the 4.7" 32 gb model should also come in at $299, same as the 5.5" model. not going to happen.

CaryMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2006
Morrisville, NC
With services like Spotify, Netflix, iTunes Radio etc. gaining popularity we actually need less local storage than we did a couple of years ago.

And for the minority who do need more (myself included) they already offer the 64GB version. And I'm fine with this.

Apps and App Data is the only thing that really I need the local storage for...mind you I have something like 150 apps (of varying sizes) so yeah...

silentbob007

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2010
Little Rock, AR
If Apple only announces and releases a 4.7" iPhone 6 initially, or even announces both a 4.7" and 5.5" iPhone 6 but delays the 5.5" iPhone 6, I wonder how many people will sit back and wait for the larger iPhone, just because they want to compare them in person before settling on one or the other?

I know I'll definitely want to try both out before settling on one or the other as being the replacement to my iPhone 4S for the next 2-4 years.

Knowing people around here ... they will buy the 4.7 as a hold-over and then return it when the larger one comes out.

janderson0719

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2011
Apps and App Data is the only thing that really I need the local storage for...mind you I have something like 150 apps (of varying sizes) so yeah...

Do you have a lot of games?

I have like 70 apps and that's more than plenty for my personal use.

If I even tried downloading 150, I would just have multiple apps that do the same thing.

Last edited:

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2012
4.7 is way too big! 5.5 even more obviously.

The 3.5 screen was perfect. It fitted perfectly in a hand, perfectly in a pocket. For Americans who are already enormous to begin with, and have huge hands, obviously a bigger phone is better. But Apple needs to adapt to other markets, like the European one, where people have different body sizes. And where people wear different clothes, for example clothes that fit to your body, which makes it even harder to put the phone in your already small pocket.

I know so many people who have the iPhone 5 and dislike it's size, they still bought it but I believe it's just stupid. They let it fall all the time and you can't even hold it with one hand. The 3.5 size was perfect because I could "block" the phone (holding with the right hand) between my index finger, which would hold the top left of the phone and the very bottom of my thumb/the right surface of my hand, which would hold the bottom right part of the phone. And my hands and fingers are pretty big/long to begin with (for European standards at least)

With the iPhone 5, this is not possible anymore. You can hold it horizontally, but that sucks. Maybe it's a trick by Apple because they know people will let it fall more often, and therefore more people will get a replacement iPhone.

And it has to stay a phone, not become an iPad supermini. It's just dumb. :(

I was really hoping, after the iPhone 5, that at some point they would introduce two sizes. Now it happened. But the smaller size is already much bigger than the already huge iPhone 5, epic fail :(

It stays a good size for people with a small-phone complex or old ladies who carry the phone in their bag and who don't have the best eyes anymore, however.

JohnPhamlore

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
The "evidence" for a 5.5 inch 2014 iPhone disappeared

The only thing resembling evidence for a 2014 5.5 inch iPhone was a rumor from the usually reliable Wall Street Journal, at least as far as Apple products goes, only that article last I checked is now a dead link. No part leaks, nothing.

Considering how well Apple is doing in its stock price and profits, why should Apple introduce such a phone in 2014 especially if it is delayed by months past both the prime United States and China gift giving seasons?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
So, the pricing will be like this?

iPhone 5c: Free
iPhone 5s (8 GB): $99
iPhone 6 (4.7 inch, 16 GB): $199
iPhone 6 (5.5 inch, 32 GB): $299

all with 2-year contract.

32GB 4.7 inch and 32gb 5.5 inch same price? no way. itll probably start at 399 with 16gb

the average german user with a monthly data limit of 300mb-1GB before getting throttled to useless 64kb/s would like to have a word with you :p

please22

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2012
This is why I enjoy watching Apple compete in this space.

While every other manufacturer on the face of the earth rushed to offer big screens and make them mundane offerings, Apple understands managing customer excitement and expectations and are going offer the same thing as a premium.

lol can Samsung now downgrade their screen size to try and emulate that?

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
An extra $100 just for the privilege of a larger screen? Is Apple having a laugh?

I paid £629 for my 32GB 5S and that was a stretch. I couldn't justify paying £729 for a 32GB 5.5" model for a bit of extra material.

I hope this rumour stays a rumour and doesn't materialise.

MacrumoursUser

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2014
Denmark

Reality called looking for common sense.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Ditto. I think 5.5 is going to fail the "fits in my pocket comfortably" test. I'm not even sure the 4.7 will pass that one, honestly.

Oh get over it. The phones aren't that big, they'll fit in any male's pants/shorts pocket. If you can fit a 4" phone in your pocket just fine, then you can fit a 5.5" one. Galaxy Note's fit just fine in all pants. Even tight jeans have big enough pockets. The phones are getting slimmer anyway, so with the only problem really being bulge, that's even improving.

On the other hand, for women, with smaller pockets; it seems like it will be a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.