Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
Meanwhile as a small business owner I have to find ways to deduct the air I breathe in order to stay at paying only 35% quarterly taxes every year. I have no sympathy for big business.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Meanwhile as a small business owner I have to find ways to deduct the air I breathe in order to stay at paying only 35% quarterly taxes every year. I have no sympathy for big business.

That is one problem I mentioned, although I don't recall whether it was in this thread. There are a few enormous divides when it comes to company size, and an ineffective tax policy puts more pressure on the smaller ones (smaller and larger being relative). I mentioned before that the actual percentage is arbitrary. These governments require something that scales effectively when applied to corporations of different sizes without relying too heavily on the power of audits. I mention that due to the cost of investigating any multinational.

Just as you should diversify your portfolio and not put everything into one investment, so should you not build your economy around a small number of massive entities. Besides the prospect of devastation upon their closure or relocation, the power those businesses wield to turn everything in their favor at the detriment of everyone else is all too real (as in buying off politicians to rework tax code so that they can legally move all their money around tax-free).

I wasn't thinking so much of relocation. Even big companies do fail, and in the case of bankruptcy proceedings or any kind of downsizing, a single company can take out others with them. There's also the issue that if they are bought out, the buyer may or may not require much of the old infrastructure.

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country

They don't want your sympathy, they want your continuing business, and they will innovate as much as they can, in order to achieve this.

Just as has been mentioned earlier in this thread, regarding the power of the larger group of takers, big business holds the power of the purse to a much greater degree than small/local businesses.

As has also been mentioned, that's the reality of modern life. Now, as it happens, I don't like this situation - neither from the political nor the financial viewpoint, which is why I maintain that business taxation is way too high. Your tax, at 35%, is way too high. If it were at, say, a flat 20%, you could breathe a little more easily, and big business would not need to pay accountants/lawyers so much to get that number down as much as possible. The fact that big business can get their actual rates down so low is due to incentive - if one needs to set up a system dedicated to tax reduction, why not use it to the max.

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
If I were the US government, I would wait. Let the EU probe go on and when they say Apple has to pay them 25%, we can say Hey Apple, we'll let you bring it back at 20%. They'll obviously take our deal.

I love Apple, but using tactics like this... they really don't need to. They have so much money, even if they paid the taxes, I mean come on. You know how much money they still have left?

Be Patriotic Apple, bring the money back and pay the full 35% and then point to other companies and say we put our money where our mouth is, we are patriotic, love our country, and set a good example. Now that would be something. But they won't.
I agree with your sentiments, with one caveat. Not all of the profits are taxable in the US, the profit made in the UK, Germany etc should be taxed there in those countries.

I need to dig out the numbers but Apple has generated something like $15bn in cash profits which it has sheltered offshore, that's where my $50bn in legally dodged taxes comes from. Not all of that amount belongs to the US.

----------

They don't want your sympathy, they want your continuing business, and they will innovate as much as they can, in order to achieve this.

Just as has been mentioned earlier in this thread, regarding the power of the larger group of takers, big business holds the power of the purse to a much greater degree than small/local businesses.

As has also been mentioned, that's the reality of modern life. Now, as it happens, I don't like this situation - neither from the political nor the financial viewpoint, which is why I maintain that business taxation is way too high. Your tax, at 35%, is way too high. If it were at, say, a flat 20%, you could breathe a little more easily, and big business would not need to pay accountants/lawyers so much to get that number down as much as possible. The fact that big business can get their actual rates down so low is due to incentive - if one needs to set up a system dedicated to tax reduction, why not use it to the max.
UK corporate tax is 22%, Irish Corporate tax is 12.5% Apple don't even pay that ! When it comes to fiduciary duty of a company executive to minimise tax it means as low as possible, not to accept 20% if you can pay just 10% or 5% in Apple's case.

----------

Nor should you. I really hope the EU nails all of these companies. Apple is a fabulously profitable business, which is an excellent thing, but what it's doing tax-wise needs to be stopped.

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
UK corporate tax is 22%, Irish Corporate tax is 12.5% Apple don't even pay that ! When it comes to fiduciary duty of a company executive to minimise tax it means as low as possible, not to accept 20% if you can pay just 10% or 5% in Apple's case.

Od course it's their duty to minimize tax payments - that's why I said "flat". If internationals, in particular, knew that their tax rate would be at, say, 20%, regardless of where they did business, and with few, common sense deductions available, things would settle down quite quickly.

All we would be left with are those who jealously hate profit, and the wealth it creates - and to hell with them!

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
Od course it's their duty to minimize tax payments - that's why I said "flat". If internationals, in particular, knew that their tax rate would be at, say, 20%, regardless of where they did business, and with few, common sense deductions available, things would settle down quite quickly.

All we would be left with are those who jealously hate profit, and the wealth it creates - and to hell with them!
You will never get all countries to agree on the same corporate tax rate and indeed they should not. Each country (or group) needs to control its own fiscal policy and the most important element is taxation both corporate and personal. The Irish have decided they need a very aggressively low tax rate of 12.5% to encourage business to locate there (the country has a long history of tax breaks, ie zero for authors / artists - amazing how many politicians are "authors" and businesses like aircraft leasing also enjoy low rates). The big swerve is that Ireland also has a law that says profits made / companies controlled from abroad are not taxable at all. So basically Apple routes he amounts of business through Ireland and pays zero.

By the way I double checked and Apple's cash pile / sheltered /untaxed profits are $160billion (I posted $150bn) so they really owe something like $40bn-$56bn depending in which country you believe the profits should be taxed. Tim Cook can talk all he wants about "we pay every dollar we owe" but the fact is Apple have swerved at least $40bn in taxes.

Just so you are in no doubt I very much encourage wealth creation and profits. They should be appropriately taxed and for a company like Apple to pay 5% is in my view a disgrace.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
A couple of points, if I may.

First, small business runs on the back of big business (shops, etc always follow major enterprises - not the other way round).

Second, we have had some very damaging outside influences forced upon us since the mid-seventies. The price of oil, greenies, mountains of regulations, to name a few, have all combined to drastically alter the playing field. The push for ever lower tax rates is, in part, because it is the easiest push-back available, against the ever growing monolith that is the govt (of most countries).

The price of oil is set by the market. And what have greenies done that's bad?

----------

Exactly! Time for the GOP to get back to its roots, or go away.

BTW, your comment above, on govt being more needed today, assumes that it is the only solution to the changing times. I abhor the fact that this philosophy was allowed/encouraged to take root.

What government do you propose cutting?

----------

Actually I would have a very low corporate profit tax rate, perhaps even zero, but have dividend taxes at the same rate as other income taxes.

I might have a corporate wealth tax as well.

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
Actually I would have a very low corporate profit tax rate, perhaps even zero, but have dividend taxes at the same rate as other income taxes.

I might have a corporate wealth tax as well.
Problem with corporate tax rate of zero and a dividend tax is it would kill the governments cash flow as companies horded cash. This is exactly what Apple has done, it has horded $160 billion upon which it has paid no tax. Governments need to pay for public services today.

I think the tax system is already too complex as it's all these offsets and multiple jurisdictions and transfer pricing etc which has created the problem. Do we really need another corporate tax and how would you define wealth ?

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Problem with corporate tax rate of zero and a dividend tax is it would kill the governments cash flow as companies horded cash. This is exactly what Apple has done, it has horded $160 billion upon which it has paid no tax. Governments need to pay for public services today.

I think the tax system is already too complex as it's all these offsets and multiple jurisdictions and transfer pricing etc which has created the problem. Do we really need another corporate tax and how would you define wealth ?

I am proposing removing a tax completely, and a wealth tax would discourage hoarding ;). So I think it would be at worst neutral on complication.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I'm an Apple collector and user and also an Irish citizen. This issue of multinationals not paying much tax is a topical issue here.

See, we don't charge much tax in I order to attract many multinationals. As a result, almost every Silicon Valley company has it's HQ in Ireland today. We also are well educated as speak English.

However, the EU hate that we don't change them enough corporate tax. But, if we did charge them a normal amount, they would most likely leave. Then, we would get no tax and loose all the jobs and infrastructure these campanies bring with them.

I don't think we will see much change. It's not ideal, but it's about the best case scenario for Ireland right now.

Also, the manner in which Google and Apple "dodge" taxes in the US is 100% legal. It's the government that is to blame for any loss in tax. The multinationals can't be blamed for being as efficient as legally possible, within the most capatalist country on earth.

I'd be happier about Apple's tax avoidance arrangements if it's offerings outside the US were better, like Maps and Siri services. Supposedly Apple charges the Irish subsidiary for various forms of research, yet precious little of the research seems to go anywhere other than the US.

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
I'm an Apple collector and user and also an Irish citizen. This issue of multinationals not paying much tax is a topical issue here.

See, we don't charge much tax in I order to attract many multinationals. As a result, almost every Silicon Valley company has it's HQ in Ireland today. We also are well educated as speak English.

However, the EU hate that we don't change them enough corporate tax. But, if we did charge them a normal amount, they would most likely leave. Then, we would get no tax and loose all the jobs and infrastructure these campanies bring with them.

I don't think we will see much change. It's not ideal, but it's about the best case scenario for Ireland right now.

Also, the manner in which Google and Apple "dodge" taxes in the US is 100% legal. It's the government that is to blame for any loss in tax. The multinationals can't be blamed for being as efficient as legally possible, within the most capatalist country on earth.
I do appreciate why Ireland's tax rates came about, it was to encourage employment with the EU's support as at the time grants into Ireland where substantial. However the EU created a monster and the loss of revenues from Apple alone are 10's of billions never mind Starbucks, Amazon etc etc. There is also a question of the quality of those jobs as you mention, Dell came and went (to Poland I recall) when a lower cost country came along with that magic EU status.

I don't know what the EU's solution will be but I could well imagine individual countries taking action via additional sales type taxes which are paid by us the consumer, that's a blunt instrument but trying to tackle transfer pricing is too complex and the EUs tax laws are so full of holes it's easy to pick a path through them and pay so little.

The US is after Apple too, they want their 35% of the whole amount not just profits from sales in the US. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Anyway, it's Friday so slàinte :)

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I'd be happier about Apple's tax avoidance arrangements if it's offerings outside the US were better, like Maps and Siri services. Supposedly Apple charges the Irish subsidiary for various forms of research, yet precious little of the research seems to go anywhere other than the US.

Indeed this is true. We get no US only services from iTunes Radio to proper reliable maps. Apple TV is also largely restricted. We don't even have one Apple store in the entire country. London has like 3.

And Ireland is the location of their EU headquarters.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Perhaps, it might be interesting to see what will happen if France and Germany start to act on their threats, although I'll be surprised if anything actually transpires as result.

I really do think that you are going to be quite surprised.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
You are both looking at things through a microscope. just try to image the founding of a community of Mom & pop shops - without the fundamental input of a larger wealth creator. When you cite a large metropolis of small businesses, it does not operate without major influence from the large wealth creators. Even Suburbia exists and thrives because of money earned elsewhere - in large amounts.

Did you see anyone saying that we don't need somewhat big business? But, we don't need ONLY big business. We don't need to pump even more wealth to the top in the off chance that one of them will create the next huge hit. By the very virtue that they already have more money than almost any other time in history, and nearly the lowest taxes, yet little new business, that line is a complete lie. Building a stronger middle and lower class through better wages and benefits will do far more for the economy.

As to regulations, can we start with EPA, NRLB, Obamacare, Tort? those alone are stifling enough. And as for the banking restrictions ... !

Well, I asked for specific, but I see you kept with the same lines from the normal conservative chant and just named off a bunch of wide-open agencies. Basically, you want to eliminate anything that seeks to protect the average person and allow business to run rampant with no control. Want to dump paint into a lake? Go ahead! Want to billow toxic smoke out of your stack? No problem! Want to have a factory with no emergency exits? They're just factory workers! Carry on.

If you can't operate a business without destroying the environment or having safe and fair working conditions, then you shouldn't be in business.

I have no idea what you mean with "tort"...that could mean anything.

I could get behind a lower rate with no or few deductions.

Just so you are in no doubt I very much encourage wealth creation and profits. They should be appropriately taxed and for a company like Apple to pay 5% is in my view a disgrace.

I do always find it funny that when anyone suggests that corporations with tens of billions in profits should be paying a fair amount of tax, they are labeled as anti-business, anti-rich, and anti-wealth.

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
I could get behind a lower rate with no or few deductions.

I do always find it funny that when anyone suggests that corporations with tens of billions in profits should be paying a fair amount of tax, they are labeled as anti-business, anti-rich, and anti-wealth.

Me too. If I had a tax rate closer to even 15-20% without the need to track 1000+ deductions yearly I'd be open to it.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Me too. If I had a tax rate closer to even 15-20% without the need to track 1000+ deductions yearly I'd be open to it.

Although I'm only doing personal taxes, I don't even take advantage of several deductions because the time involved to deal with them just isn't worth it to me. Yay! I can track all of my driving over the course of the year and save $50!!! Wooooo..oh never mind.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Although I'm only doing personal taxes, I don't even take advantage of several deductions because the time involved to deal with them just isn't worth it to me. Yay! I can track all of my driving over the course of the year and save $50!!! Wooooo..oh never mind.

My taxes are always done by a team of accountants, once or twice just for fun, I have read some of the deductions. trips to the car wash, office stationary (paper clips rolls of tape) plastic coffee beakers. Items of clothing suits, shoes they are all carefully noted.

Fishticks

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Originally Posted by Fishticks
Many people believe they "think" while they are just dominated by the mainstream ideas they keep repeating and propagating themselves.

These ideas stem from the lobbies and the ones that really have power and money, and they propagate them by all means (media, books, political parties...).
In the end people whose mind is intellectually-dominated like this end up just blobbing out phrases like "don't hate the player hate the game" or "I'm so glad, I'm a BETA"... and they believe they have thoughts of their own...

This powerful and wealthy people and companies are not only players, they act so that the rules of the game are changed to serve their interests, agains public interest.

So hate this players and fight them if you're not one of them: they hate YOU and fight YOU.
I disagree and I think you would have done well down at Occupy Wall Street with your beliefs
I disagree and I think you would have done well down at Occupy Wall Street with your beliefs :rolleyes:

I couldn't care less you disagreed. I think you do well down in some bank-office figuring out how to accaparate hard-earned money from customers.

vvswarup

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010

It's true that small business owners (SBO) are at a disadvantage because multinational corporations (MNCs), by virtue of being MNCs, can structure their operations for the least tax while SBOs, by virtue of being smaller than MNCs, can't do that. It's also due to the fact that MNCs have more financial resources to pay for expert tax advice.

But why does the answer have to be to raise taxes on MNCs to bring them on par with SBOs? Why not end tax deductions that only MNCs are able to take advantage of and then lower the marginal tax rate? IMO, that would also have the effect of ensuring that SBOs and MNCs are on a level playing field.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
WTO needs to rationalize corporate tax rates as well as tariffs

One thing that is very clear in all this is that corporate tax rates need to be rationalized internationally so that companies don't (have to) play these tax-avoidance games.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
It's true that small business owners (SBO) are at a disadvantage because multinational corporations (MNCs), by virtue of being MNCs, can structure their operations for the least tax while SBOs, by virtue of being smaller than MNCs, can't do that. It's also due to the fact that MNCs have more financial resources to pay for expert tax advice.

But why does the answer have to be to raise taxes on MNCs to bring them on par with SBOs? Why not end tax deductions that only MNCs are able to take advantage of and then lower the marginal tax rate? IMO, that would also have the effect of ensuring that SBOs and MNCs are on a level playing field.

Abolishing corporation tax is possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.