Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

opusthe2nd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Here is the scenario:

PB is about 3 months old now. 2 sticks of 512 RAM in it. 1 came with the machine, 1 I bought from a guy that had a new PB, same as mine. He was bumping up to 2G RAM.

I have been having panics lately. I talked here and called Apple. Apple thinks its a bad stick...of course the think it is the '3rd party RAM' that I put in. I explained to them....why, I dont know, but I explained that it came from a duplicate PB of the same age etc. Boy, I dont like Apple as a company. That is another story though.

I pulled the added stick out (B) and I pulled the original stick out (A). I then swapped them around. B where A was, A where B was. It booted, but only showed me 512. Thats odd. Pulled them again, reseated them, booted....512 again. I then pulled out stick A and it booted fine. Same with stick B, booted fine. I then put them back in the original order and booted, 1G it showed.

Tell me why I cant swap these 2 sticks around?

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
I had a lot of the same problems for awhile and it was bad RAM. Tiger is picky about the RAM it will use in anything but powermacs. Take the 3rd party RAM out and see if your kernel panics don't stop. I bet they do.

opusthe2nd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
It is not third party RAM. The RAM came in a Powerbook...both of them.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
opusthe2nd said:
It is not third party RAM. The RAM came in a Powerbook...both of them.
Apple, third party, it makes no odds. One of the two sticks could be intermittantly defective. You're going to have to determine whether, and which.

Put both sticks in and run the Apple Hardware Test from the CD. Any errors?

Run for a while with just one stick in. Any crashes?
Then run with just the other stick. Any crashes?

Course it could be nothing to do with the RAM as well.

opusthe2nd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
I think you are missing the point for me. Both work individually, the question is why do they work in one order and not the other?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.