Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One of the more exciting features in Apple's upcoming OS X Yosemite is the Handoff feature that allows a seamless app transition between your Mac and iOS devices.

The feature, however, is based on Bluetooth 4.0/LE which was first introduced in Macs in Mid 2011. The feature has since made its way into later Mac releases, finally coming to every Mac as of the 2013 Mac Pro.

Apfeleimer has published this chart which shows all Macs that support Yosemite, and the subset of those which have support for this version of Bluetooth:

The full bars represent Macs that can run OS X Yosemite, while only Mac models in the green bar timeframes support the required Bluetooth protocol for Handoff. For iOS users, the iPad 2 is the only device that is capable of running iOS 8 but doesn't come with hardware support for Bluetooth LE. While Apfeleimer expresses some uncertainty in their article about this being an absolute requirement, in the WWDC sessions, Apple clearly states that Handoff runs on Bluetooth LE technology.

OS X Yosemite is in developer beta right now and will be released to customers later this year.

Article Link: Yosemite 'Hand Off' Feature Limited to Macs with Bluetooth LE

Rohirm

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2010
Are there any 3rd party BT 4.0/LE things available? Any hope to get this work with Mac Pro Mid 2010?

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
i dont believe that on a mac mini 2011 works and on a iMac 2011 it doesnt

----------

i thought mac mini <imac in everything

pk7

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
So does this mean my Early 2011 15" MacBook Pro won't be able to use my iPhone as a relay for SMS and voice calls, or is that separate from where the devices allow you to continue certain tasks on the other?

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
Ah, so now we know how this works, it's through Bluetooth. I was kind of hoping it'd involve being on a LAN together. I guess my current MacBook Pro won't work. That's a shame.

Just get a usb bluetooth adaptor on the cheap and you'll be set.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Are there any 3rd party BT 4.0/LE things available? Any hope to get this work with Mac Pro Mid 2010?
Adding a dongle isn't going to work. Yosemite probably checks the hardware revision your system is on.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
That Yosemite chart seems incomplete - the older plastic MacBooks are missing. I fully expect my 2009 white MacBook to run Yosemite even though it won't do Hand Off.

Sunday Ironfoot

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2011
Dam! My 2011 iMac isn't supported :-(

Can Bluetooth 4.0 LE support be added with an external USB bluetooth dongle? And would it support Hand Off?

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I have a late 2011 Macbook Pro. It's a shame it doesn't work with this model because I'm not buying another computer anytime within the next 3-4 years.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Good thing Google Voice rings on all my devices regardless.
So does FaceTime. This has nothing to do with that, please try to follow the conversation. In fact, the new features allowing you to send SMS messages and place regular phone calls from your Mac DO work without bluetooth LE, my 2010 MBP proves that. Those are features that go far beyond anything Google Voice can offer Mac users.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
I have a late 2011 Macbook Pro. It's a shame it doesn't work with this model because I'm not buying another computer anytime within the next 3-4 years.
You're going to use a 2011 Machine in 2017? Good for you grandpa, but you won't be using the latest software or OS features.

Carlosgomes

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2013
I have the latest MBA and an iPad 3, running Yosemite and iOS 8, but I couldn't get this thing to work.

Anyone had any luck with this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.