Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this month, Apple updated its App Store review guidelines to allow for "approved" virtual currencies in apps. Now, Coindesk (via The Next Web) reports that Bitcoin wallet app Coin Pocket has launched in the App Store, becoming the first app on iOS that allows users to send and receive the virtual currency.

coinpocket_ios.jpeg
Bitcoin wallet app Coin Pocket​
In addition to Coin Pocket, gift card purchasing app eGifter has also received an update to now accept Bitcoin as a form of payment. Earlier this month, betting app Betcoin also appeared on the App Store with in-app Bitcoin spending capabilities. Its developer, Omri Cohen, noted that the app was an experiment to test what Apple would allow ahead of the policy change on virtual currencies in apps.

Prior to its policy change, Apple displayed past tendencies to remove and deny apps that promoted virtual currencies, notably asking the developers behind private messaging app Gliph to remove the app's Bitcoin sending capabilities. With the launch of Coin Pocket however, it is now likely that users will be seeing many more Bitcoin-related apps in the App Store provided they follow Apple's guidelines.

Coin Pocket [Direct Link], eGifter [Direct Link], and Betcoin [Direct Link] are all free apps for iOS devices and can be downloaded through the App Store.

Article Link: 'Coin Pocket' Becomes First Bitcoin Wallet App on iOS After App Store Policy Change

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Bitcoin is the way of the future, so I'm glad they changed their mind about accepting it. Not gonna lie, it was definitely pretty sketch starting out though :D

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Bitcoin is the way of the future, so I'm glad they changed their mind about accepting it. Not gonna lie, it was definitely pretty sketch starting out though :D

Some kind of virtual currencie(s) are the way of the future... not so sure about Bitcoin! Its ultimate importance will be historical I expect. It will pave the way. (And it's wasteful of power, too--an interesting but not elegant long-term solution.)

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
I actually got my Bitcoin app (link in sig ;)) approved a few days ago after a few previous rejections. not sure if they had to do with the anti-bitcoin stance or not however I'm just psyched it's in the store finally!

Which is strange, considering what happened with Mt. Gox.
Unless you're a drug dealer or something, I don't get it.

Little fun fact for everyone, Mt.Gox was initally developed as an online trading platform for magic the gathering cards and the name represents that. Magic The. Gathering Online Xexchange

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
This comes right after Expedia, another big company, started accepting Bitcoins. Crypto is the future, especially if other big companies continue to accept it.

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
fun173, may be your guide will explain this, but if I want to transfer money between Canada and U.S. can I use this app? Here is the scenario.

My friend in Canada has a U.S. Dollar account. But they do not allow writing U.S. dollar checks for whatever reason. If he needs to send me, say, $1000.00, can he just send me the equivalent bitcoin by email which I can then sell and deposit the proceeds in my bank account. I am not even sure how I will go about doing that. Will applications like Coin Pocket help me with this specific use case?

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
If anyone want to try out crypto-currencies for free

Check out the links in my signature. I get bonuses if you register with the links with my referral number in them.

Bitcoin's value started at under a dollar. About a year ago it was worth around 80$USD. It once went over 1200$USD.

So yes, the value you can get from those links is small today, but in the future, who knows.

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
fun173, may be your guide will explain this, but if I want to transfer money between Canada and U.S. can I use this app? Here is the scenario.

My friend in Canada has a U.S. Dollar account. But they do not allow writing U.S. dollar checks for whatever reason. If he needs to send me, say, $1000.00, can he just send me the equivalent bitcoin by email which I can then sell and deposit the proceeds in my bank account. I am not even sure how I will go about doing that. Will applications like Coin Pocket help me with this specific use case?

If you are in the U.S. go to coinbase (An excellent Bitcoin exchange based out of San Francisco) and register an account. You will sign up and connect your bank account. Coinbase will provide you with a wallet address, where your friend would send the $1k worth of Bitcoins. (about 1.68 Bitcoins per the current coinbase price.) Once you have received the Bitcoins, you can sell them via Coinbase, wait a few days and the money will be deposited in your bank account, sans a small fee taken by coinbase for handling the transaction. You could also sell them locally for cash through a website like localbitcoins. However this poses the same risk as any in person high value transaction would. Whatever you do make sure to pay/declare the appropriate taxes ;)

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
So who in the Federal Reserve left the Apple Board of Directors?

The battle of the BitCoin wallet apps start!

ellsworth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
After all that I've heard that's been going on with bitcoins, I still don't get the hype but I'm glad people are excited about it. It's going to take awhile for any new form of currency/virtual money to reach the masses but I'm sure it will eventually. good stuff.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
When has rushing to be first ever produced quality?
That's right . . . it has not. So we know what Bitcoin apps to avoid. All the ones mentioned in this article.

SolarShane

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
YES!!!!!!!! Steve, I swear I will never have impure thoughts of switching to Android again. :D

Once those bigger iPhones launch with iOS 8, it's Job's "Thermonuclear War" on Android.

Some kind of virtual currencie(s) are the way of the future... not so sure about Bitcoin! Its ultimate importance will be historical I expect. It will pave the way. (And it's wasteful of power, too--an interesting but not elegant long-term solution.)

I believe that too. While Bitcoin may not be the permanent one, crypto is the future of money. I like people like you because your group just don't straight up bash crypto claiming it's a dark currency. (Yeah, like their beloved cash isn't?)

Which is strange, considering what happened with Mt. Gox.
Unless you're a drug dealer or something, I don't get it.

Basically, the main thing about Bitcoin: Zero risk. Once you sell something, the asshat buyer can't go complaining to the credit card company claiming that he/she didn't get the item. This happens A LOT on eBay. With Bitcoin, there is no risk of chargebacks, and there is also a very low fee compared to PayPal (ScamPal) and Credit Cards. Meaning, one the buyer pays for something, they can't complain and get the item + their cash.

Makes money laundering even easier! :rolleyes:

Each Bitcoin transaction is traceable, Cash is not traceable..... I wonder which one money launderers would choose. Anonymous vs semi-anonymous.

When has rushing to be first ever produced quality?
That's right . . . it has not. So we know what Bitcoin apps to avoid. All the ones mentioned in this article.

Yeah, I know. This is a crapp in regards of quality. Hopefully someone makes one that takes full advantage of iOS.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Amazed how fast the app was available... Less than a week of dev time? Or was it pre-developed, hoping for Apple to chamge their policy?

They obviously used Swift ;)

Anyone else feel stupid for not immediately buying bitcoin after the announcement? I rushed to check the price and it hadn't moved. Then the next few days it went up like 80% -_-

SuspiciousWink

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
Great to hear but this article isn't accurate. CoinJar, an Australian exchange and wallet service, had their app in the store the day after the policy changed.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Around where I live, people have received blackmail letters. Either pay some significant amount of money in bitcoin, or schools / neighbours etc. will be "informed" that you are a pedophile. Which in some areas of England, where even pediatricians have become victims of clueless mob attacks, is quite a nasty threat. Yes, untraceable money is a great idea.

sprezz

macrumors regular
May 28, 2014
Zurich, Switzerland
If you are in the U.S. go to coinbase (An excellent Bitcoin exchange based out of San Francisco) and register an account. You will sign up and connect your bank account. Coinbase will provide you with a wallet address, where your friend would send the $1k worth of Bitcoins. (about 1.68 Bitcoins per the current coinbase price.) Once you have received the Bitcoins, you can sell them via Coinbase, wait a few days and the money will be deposited in your bank account, sans a small fee taken by coinbase for handling the transaction. You could also sell them locally for cash through a website like localbitcoins. However this poses the same risk as any in person high value transaction would. Whatever you do make sure to pay/declare the appropriate taxes ;)

and how is this easier than just sending money from one bank to another using the IBAN? it's basically a long number that identifies the account, just like a wallet hash address...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.