Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

macbook-air.jpg
BestBuy is offering free shipping and $100 off all the newest MacBook Air models. This brings the base MacBook Air model down to $799 -- the lowest we've seen for the latest generation models. The discount kicks off today, but appears to extend all week.

- 11.6" MacBook Air, 4GB, 128GB SSD: $899 -> $799
- 11.6" MacBook Air, 4GB, 256GB SSD: $1099 -> $999
- 13.3" MacBook Air, 4GB, 128GB SSD: $999 -> $899
- 13.3" MacBook Air, 4GB, 256GB SSD: $1199 -> $1099

The MacBook Air was recently updated in April by Apple, so is considered safe to buy according to our Buyer's Guide. It's unusual for Apple's latest generation models to be discounted so quickly after their launch.

MacRumors is an affiliate partner of Best Buy.

Article Link: Newest MacBook Airs on Sale for Father's Day

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
Considering the 150$ student discount promotion just ended yesterday, this is really kind of a price increase...

Matt

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
But was that $150 off, on all models? And of course, not everybody is eligible for that student discount.
I think $799 for a base 11" is still a pretty attractive price. May just get one to replace an iPad 2.

It was 150$ off all MacBooks and iMacs. The 2013 4GB/256GB 11" MBA could be purchased for 799$ yesterday. That is a much more attractive price. And all you need for a student discount is the code, which you can find on this site pretty easily if you ask.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
It was 150$ off all MacBooks and iMacs. The 2013 4GB/256GB 11" MBA could be purchased for 799$ yesterday. That is a much more attractive price. And all you need for a student discount is the code, which you can find on this site pretty easily if you ask.

That was indeed a better deal; like getting the 128GB to 256GB SSD upgrade for free. Too bad that's history now.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Considering the 150$ student discount promotion just ended yesterday, this is really kind of a price increase...

Matt

Latest student deal is OFFER VALID 6/8/14 - 7/12/14.

There was a student discount that expired, but the most recent is still available.

Snay

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2010
Latest student deal is OFFER VALID 6/8/14 - 7/12/14.

There was a student discount that expired, but the most recent is still available.

What "Latest Student Deal" are you referring to?
And also how do you use a "Student Promo Code?"

All I have ever done to get student pricing, is gone to:
http://store.apple.com/us-hed
Currently the Base 11" Air is $849 via Apple's Education Store
$50 more than Best Buys current Deal

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

They appear to be discussing discounts Best Buy, not Apple, will give to students. I only ever buy directly through Apple because I normally change enough from the base models that nobody other than Apple will sell it to me.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005

best buy emails student deals. The current deal expires in July and is $150 in addition to the current sale. $799 sale would be $649

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
best buy emails student deals. The current deal expires in July and is $150 in addition to the current sale. $799 sale would be $649

I will also add... that despite the student coupons excluding "open box items" in the fine print, I was able to purchase an open box 2014 MBA a few weeks ago and the student coupon worked. Right now the 11" base MBA is available for $751.99. Apply the student discount coupon and you have a 2014 Macbook Air for $601.99!
v3expl.jpg

Last edited:

ladymacbeth

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2009

Asking! :) Grateful for a DM with discount code someone can share. This deal is motivating me to finally replace my early '08 whitebook!

EDIT: All set and order placed. Thanks!

Last edited:

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
To think I actually purchased a 1st gen MBA at its original price.

To think I purchased a 1st gen MBA at any price...

GhostRaider

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
Why can't Apple price these Macs like this forever? Geez they make these computers at a cheat price and they bump up the sale price a bit too high. Costs of these Macs should already be lower by now. We're in 2014.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Why can't Apple price these Macs like this forever? Geez they make these computers at a cheat price and they bump up the sale price a bit too high. Costs of these Macs should already be lower by now. We're in 2014.

Why should they, apple has always charged *premium prices, they still sell their products so no need to lower their prices!

* Premium to you maybe but over the course of their life Apple computers are maybe even cheaper than PC-Windows.
(Example, no need to reinstall/maintenance-Install (buy) virus software, still has value even after a few years while windows pc's are 'worthless'

GhostRaider

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
Why should they, apple has always charged *premium prices, they still sell their products so no need to lower their prices!

* Premium to you maybe but over the course of their life Apple computers are maybe even cheaper than PC-Windows.
(Example, no need to reinstall/maintenance-Install (buy) virus software, still has value even after a few years while windows pc's are 'worthless'

I mean yes even at that premium prices I still bought a Mac but I'm not sure if having them at high prices means something. If they lowered the price, I'm sure people will become more likely to buy a Mac than a Windows PC, which in turn increases the Mac install base at a good rate. More Apple customers, the better for Apple.

But we can agree that they can, they just don't want to. I'm happy with my MacBook Pro. Best computer I've ever had. The price is what bothers me lol.

I have no problem with Windows PCs since I'm a techie. I use both worlds everyday.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place

I mean yes even at that premium prices I still bought a Mac but I'm not sure if having them at high prices means something. If they lowered the price, I'm sure people will become more likely to buy a Mac than a Windows PC, which in turn increases the Mac install base at a good rate. More Apple customers, the better for Apple.

But we can agree that they can, they just don't want to. I'm happy with my MacBook Pro. Best computer I've ever had. The price is what bothers me lol.

I have no problem with Windows PCs since I'm a techie. I use both worlds everyday.

I agree with the bolded sentiments from GRider. My MBA is great, but no greater than any of the other PC's or laptops I own. They all do their jobs. I can't complain about the price I paid though. I got mine from a friend who was having a few financial issues and refused to take a loan from me (stupid pride). So he sold me his 2 month old MBA for $600. Still working fine 3 years later. I've got 2 laptops even older that work just as fine. So I gotta disagree with justperry about PC's being worthless. They last just as long and can still do the job they did when I bought them.

Last edited:

tim0409

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010
Hi

I'm not familiar with Best Buy sales but I'm heading over from Scotland on Wednesday to Florida for a holiday and hope the sale is still on as I will be buying an 11" and 13"...

Tim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.