Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
That is very disappointing but I hope they will fix it yet. I was thinking of picking this up during the upcoming Summer sale but I may just put it off if they haven't fixed the issues with it. It's pretty bad when gameplay is broken to this extent. It makes me wonder what sort of quality assurance existed during development.

PC version is also pretty buggy. Sometimes the combat music goes into loop after combat and you have to reload game to fix it. I also had some crashes and after playing for a while FPS started to slow down a lot. Character facial animations also sometime got stuck.
The game was pretty enjoyable tho. I would have loved a bit more NPCs and more conversation, but it was a solid old school experience.

And for those of you that haven't played Gothic 2, go and play it now :)
That game is so great, many quests have several solutions (like they should have) and there is so many paths to take in that game, making it a very different experience depending on your choices.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Since I'm a hard core fan of the old-school RPGs, I might get the windows version and try to run it with wineskin (hopefully the windows version is without game-breaking bugs ? ).

I'll post the wrapper settings here if everything works ok. However, I'm sure it will work fine within a virtual machine too.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Since I'm a hard core fan of the old-school RPGs, I might get the windows version and try to run it with wineskin (hopefully the windows version is without game-breaking bugs ? ).

I'll post the wrapper settings here if everything works ok. However, I'm sure it will work fine within a virtual machine too.

This would be for Might & Magic X Legacy ? I ask because the thread has become entangled with Gothic.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
This would be for Might & Magic X Legacy ? I ask because the thread has become entangled with Gothic.

Ah I see. Yes, I meant Might & Magic X Legacy, since - somehow - I've never managed to play any part of the series.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities

Another really discouraging thing about the technical aspects of this very, very fun game is it's nearly criminal lack of optimization. When it's busy not crashing my Mac, I can barely hear the music or the orc's "I kill you!" over my poor MBP's fan. Some of the message boards on Steam say that problem persists on Windows. For dated visuals (not that I care), the game runs choppy and hot (now I care). One of the rumors states that someone looking into the code found that one of the terrain tiles (flat, rocky terrain) consisted of over 1600 polygons. Throw a couple dozen of those into the viewable distance and break out the marshmallows, just don't hold 'em too close or they'll catch fire instead of caramelize.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Ok since I don't want to risk buying this game yet as I hear lots and lots of game-breaking bugs, I've got the PC version from a friend for testing it with Wineskin. Mind that this is the boxed version of the game, not the steam one (both me and the person who owns the game are not too fond of steam :p ).

It seems that after a bit of tweaking, the game runs. Here's my wineskin wrapper settings:

Wineskin version: 2.6.0
Wine Engine version: WS9Wine1.7.17

Winetricks executed:

From Winetricks > settings section:
ao=enabled
ddr=opengl
glsl=enabled
macdriver=mac
videomemorysize=default

From Winetricks > fonts section:
corefonts

Also note: I've installed directX bundled with the game (it's DX9) but you can also do it from within winetricks (not sure if it is exactly the same, though. As a rule, always prefer the game bundled packages if they are available).

Game loads with sound and all. Haven't tested for a long playtime, though (and probably won't have the time until at least the weekend).

Last edited:

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Another really discouraging thing about the technical aspects of this very, very fun game is it's nearly criminal lack of optimization. When it's busy not crashing my Mac, I can barely hear the music or the orc's "I kill you!" over my poor MBP's fan. Some of the message boards on Steam say that problem persists on Windows. For dated visuals (not that I care), the game runs choppy and hot (now I care). One of the rumors states that someone looking into the code found that one of the terrain tiles (flat, rocky terrain) consisted of over 1600 polygons. Throw a couple dozen of those into the viewable distance and break out the marshmallows, just don't hold 'em too close or they'll catch fire instead of caramelize.

You convinced me not to get it :D.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Ok since I don't want to risk buying this game yet as I hear lots and lots of game-breaking bugs, I've got the PC version from a friend for testing it with Wineskin. Mind that this is the boxed version of the game, not the steam one (both me and the person who owns the game are not too fond of steam :p ).

It seems that after a bit of tweaking, the game runs. Here's my wineskin wrapper settings:

Wineskin version: 2.6.0
Wine Engine version: WS9Wine1.7.17

Winetricks executed:

From Winetricks > settings section:
ao=enabled
ddr=opengl
glsl=enabled
macdriver=mac
videomemorysize=default

From Winetricks > fonts section:
corefonts

Also note: I've installed directX bundled with the game (it's DX9) but you can also do it from within winetricks (not sure if it is exactly the same, though. As a rule, always prefer the game bundled packages if they are available).

Game loads with sound and all. Haven't tested for a long playtime, though (and probably won't have the time until at least the weekend).

Followed the above information but the game will not load into the wrapper, it falls over right at the end of what looks like it is installing the game with this message -

[INTERNAL] Failed To Register In GameExplorer

Looked into the Wineskin package and can see no trace of the game.

Mine is also the boxed version of the game.

Also tried Crossover, it did install into with that but sticks at the Uplay screen, just sits there loading.

Last edited:

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Followed the above information but the game will not load into the wrapper, it falls over right at the end of what looks like it is installing the game with this message -

[INTERNAL] Failed To Register In GameExplorer

Looked into the Wineskin package and can see no trace of the game.

Mine is also the boxed version of the game.

Also tried Crossover, it did install into with that but sticks at the Uplay screen, just sits there loading.

That's odd. A quick search revealed that some people get this error also on native Windows installations using the boxed version. Have you tried to change the installation directory and path ? E.g. instead of "C:\Program Files" something like "C:\games" and for the folder, instead of the proposed one something without spaces or extra characters (E.g. something like C:\games\mm_x or something like that).

Unfortunately I don't have the game anymore as I had to return it.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
That's odd. A quick search revealed that some people get this error also on native Windows installations using the boxed version. Have you tried to change the installation directory and path ? E.g. instead of "C:\Program Files" something like "C:\games" and for the folder, instead of the proposed one something without spaces or extra characters (E.g. something like C:\games\mm_x or something like that).

Unfortunately I don't have the game anymore as I had to return it.

On installing the game into the wrapper I get no choice as to where the game installs.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
On installing the game into the wrapper I get no choice as to where the game installs.

Sadly I cannot retry the installer as I don't have the media anymore.
How about creating an empty wineskin wrapper using my settings and copy the game directory from the crossover wrapper where it is installed ?

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Yeah, I haven't played it at all since I posted. I actually got the Might & Magic itch from it, though, so I went and bought MM VII and VIII off GOG, playing VII in crossover. Man those games are fun, and addictive!

Agreed! It started off good, and turns out the be a buggy mess. Such a shame as it was my first M&M game, and seemed awesome. I'll probably do the same and pick up the others during the summer sales.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Sadly I cannot retry the installer as I don't have the media anymore.
How about creating an empty wineskin wrapper using my settings and copy the game directory from the crossover wrapper where it is installed ?

OK, I installed the game into Crossover.

I built a Wine Wrapper as above, moved the game out of the Crossover wrapper into the Wine wrapper, it all loads fine, not played yet, and no connecting to Ubisoft either :)

Only problem with this is that my hard copy from what I recall got updated via Ubisoft when I first installed it so now If this copy plays OK It may need updating which is not going to happen.

estorstenson

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2013
I had some serious problems playing this natively on a mac and it was unplayable until:

1) I brought the properties of the binary and told Finder that it was a 32bit program
2) I turned off full screen and took the largest size lower than my 27'' iMac's maximum display size.

It's hardly the poster child of playability, but it's enjoyable enough. Some places cause incredible lag, but most are OK. I think the problem is related to how many monsters are hiding. Even though you can't see them, I suspect that they are still manipulating their meshes. Once I cleared out the lighthouse, it was very smooth moving around. Whereas, before clearing it, it was one of the worst places I had encountered. Also, it seems to get slower as you play longer. Restarting seems to make it a little better…but, that might just be my imagination:)

Would I recommend it to someone with a brand new computer? It would probably work better. Mine is about 4 years old, so it's hardly state of the art. But, the game itself doesn't "look" state of the art, but it does look much better than any other MM game before it and plays about the same. It's just not the most efficient game out there. But, it is playable, and is enjoyable enough for me to play a few hours a week.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Cannot get this to work in a wrapper, the wrapper suggested here will not even install the game. Crossover installs it and runs it but it crashes at character creation. Tried moving the installed game folder from Crossover to the wrapper here, and it is the same, crashes at character setup also.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Cannot get this to work in a wrapper, the wrapper suggested here will not even install the game. Crossover installs it and runs it but it crashes at character creation. Tried moving the installed game folder from Crossover to the wrapper here, and it is the same, crashes at character setup also.
Maybe try the latest CX based engine instead? They put in a lot of hacks/workarounds to try to get it more stable on more machines, where normal Wine pushes the edge and can be more picky from hardware to hardware.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
It's very strange. I my experience, after 2-3 failures with error messages in the logs that suggested the wine tricks I've already written here, the final installation, character creation and playing for about half an hour (I stopped somewhere inside the first dungeon with the spiders) was without any problems or slowdowns.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Maybe try the latest CX based engine instead? They put in a lot of hacks/workarounds to try to get it more stable on more machines, where normal Wine pushes the edge and can be more picky from hardware to hardware.

Nope crash at character creation, think I will give up with this, tried all I know plus ideas from yourself and Antonis.

Frong

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2013
I had some serious problems playing this natively on a mac and it was unplayable until:

1) I brought the properties of the binary and told Finder that it was a 32bit program...

Any player with freeze during a load, typically when entering in dungeons should try this. More in detail:

1 - Find the app:
In Steam Library, select the game, right click, properties, Local Files tab, Browse Local Files and it shows the folder in Finder where is the real App.

2 - Select "Run in 32 bit mode"
Select the game app in Finder, right click, Read information, and in information panel check the option : "Run in 32 bit mode"

I had freeze plenty and when I did it, not anymore. Also take care in background the game pause even if it's during a load ha ha.

I have finished the game and the DLC, played it a lot more, going close to the 300 hours of play and it's a great game (with few flaws) and very stable port on Mac once you set it to run in 32 bit as mentioned above.

Paulyboy

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2007
The Mac Game Store currently has the Deluxe version for an astounding $7.49. The Deluxe version is normally $29.99. So if you're curious about the game but held off now is the time to get it. if you do make sure you take the advice posted above and run the game in 32-bit mode or else you might experience numerous crashes and other issues. They give you a Steam code as well if you want to download it there.

-PN

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
The Mac Game Store currently has the Deluxe version for an astounding $7.49. The Deluxe version is normally $29.99. So if you're curious about the game but held off now is the time to get it. if you do make sure you take the advice posted above and run the game in 32-bit mode or else you might experience numerous crashes and other issues. They give you a Steam code as well if you want to download it there.

-PN

Awesome - I have wanted to grab this but have such a backlog that I never got around to it ... at this price it is an easy buy!

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006

-PN

Well that was not on sale for long was it :(

Even their website Specials area says it has not expired yet, but it is sure not sale for $7.49.

Last edited:

Paulyboy

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2007
Well that was not on sale for long was it :(

Even their website Specials area says it has not expired yet, but it is sure not sale for $7.49.

That was certainly fast. Glad I grabbed it when I did. Perhaps it will happen again at some point.

-PN

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.