Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

G-Technology has introduced the new G-Speed Studio (via iLounge), a 4-bay Thunderbolt 2 storage solution configurable in RAID 0,1, 5, and 10. Taking strong design cues from Apple's 2013 Mac Pro, the revamped G-Speed Studio features a shiny black enclosure that fits right in on a desktop also sporting a Mac Pro.

Wider than the Mac Pro, the G-Speed Studio also features smart fan technology and a plug-and-play Mac setup. With dual Thunderbolt 2 ports that can be daisy-chained, it has transfer rates of up to 700MB/second, supports up to 24TB of storage, and includes four 7200 RPM Sata III Enterprise Class hard drives.
G-SPEED Studio (RAID)- A hardware RAID 4-Bay Thunderbolt 2 storage solution. Configurable in RAID 0, 1, 5, and 10, G-SPEED Studio features Thunderbolt 2 technology for ultimate speed. With sustained transfer rates of up to 700MB/sec and the ability to daisy-chain via dual Thunderbolt 2 ports, this RAID solution ships with Enterprise Class Hard Drives and is designed to support multistream compressed 4K and 2K workflows.
The 12TB G-Speed Studio is available from the G-Technology website for $2,199.95, while the 16TB and 24TB can be purchased for $2,699.95 and $3,599.95, respectively.

Article Link: G-Speed Studio 24TB RAID Storage Solution Takes on Mac Pro Design

joshwenke

Suspended
Mar 26, 2011
Let me quick go turn on my Mac Pro... oh crap, I turned on my storage device instead! How stupid am I, couldn't even tell the difference.

theFly

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2003
A Window Sill in Cupertino
Seems expensive. Lacie as a 12TB dual drive RAID 0/1 Thunderbolt 2 solution coming out that's $999. Can't see using 4 drives warrants double the cost.

Maybe I'm just missing something.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
The cost is massively unjustified regardless of specs.

You can buy 4 x 4TB Western Digital RED drives for £500 all-in, then add either of the following and still be paying half the price it's likely to cost in £: -

+£399: - OWC ThunderBay IV.

This would make it £899 in total for a 16Tb system with dual Thunderbolt ports and built-in RAID.

Then if you want to add an extra drive at a later date for redundancy or extra storage there's this: -

+£449: - Drobo DRDR5A31 5D (Diskless) 5 Bay Desktop DAS Enclosure.

Not sure how reliable Drobo is because I've read they're garbage.

(I'm accounting for the fact US prices tend to equal UK prices more or less due to exchange rate and 20% VAT and those UK prices are the cheapest I could find with online retailer discounts but even if prices are significantly lower in the states, that just makes the bloated prices of these systems even worse).

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Seems expensive. Lacie as a 12TB dual drive RAID 0/1 Thunderbolt 2 solution coming out that's $999. Can't see using 4 drives warrants double the cost.

Maybe I'm just missing something.

You can't see the advantage of striping/mirroring with parity over without parity? Really?

----------

The cost is massively unjustified regardless of specs.

You can buy 4 x 4TB Western Digital RED drives for £500 all-in, then add either of the following and still be paying half the price it's likely to cost in £: -

+£399: - OWC ThunderBay IV.

This would make it £899 in total for a 16Tb system with dual Thunderbolt ports and built-in RAID.

Then if you want to add an extra drive at a later date for redundancy or extra storage there's this: -

+£449: - Drobo DRDR5A31 5D (Diskless) 5 Bay Desktop DAS Enclosure.

Not sure how reliable Drobo is because I've read they're garbage.

(I'm accounting for the fact US prices tend to equal UK prices more or less due to exchange rate and 20% VAT and those UK prices are the cheapest I could find with online retailer discounts but even if prices are significantly lower in the states, that just makes the bloated prices of these systems even worse).

The price is actually on par with a lot of similar products.

----------

Let me quick go turn on my Mac Pro... oh crap, I turned on my storage device instead! How stupid am I, couldn't even tell the difference.

The stupid part is you turned them off to begin with.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
If it's black, it's not a match... The Mac Pro is space gray chrome, like the logo or chamfer on an iPhone or iPad. It's a puzzle why Apple makes them look black in their promo pictures.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
The price is actually on par with a lot of similar products.

Equally over-priced products when there's equally functioning products that can be assembled with drives of your own choice that either meet or exceed the specs of the drives you HAVE to buy with these pre-fitted Thunderbolt RAID systems and pay through the nose for them.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
24TB? ... A few years time and it comes as memory cards

More like a decade or two. You need something like 4-6nm stacked/3D NANDs to fit 24TB in a small form factor like a memory card or even a 2.5".

It's taking Intel longer and longer (also incredibly more expensive) to shrink their chips, the same will happen to all NAND fabs.

The profit margins they're making off the SSDs are declining each year because they have to spend more of their profits to invest in the next shrink process. Nobody is going to spend $20 billion dollars just to get more capacity in a smaller drive that is still a small market and likely to bankrupt the company in the long run. That's why you'll be seeing more consolidations in the SSD market soon as Sandisk just bought Fusion-iO today, after Seagate just bought SandForce division from LSI.

Expect the SSD market to look like the hard drive market from 5 years ago with 3-4 big companies, like WD, Seagate, Sandisk, and so on.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Equally over-priced products when there's equally functioning products that can be assembled with drives of your own choice that either meet or exceed the specs of the drives you HAVE to buy with these pre-fitted Thunderbolt RAID systems and pay through the nose for them.

You could make that argument all day long with just about anything. You can build your own high end computer for much less than you can purchase a Mac Pro.

Some people don't want to dink around with putting together their own setup and are willing to pay extra to avoid hassle. This product is for those people.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
You could make that argument all day long with just about anything. You can build your own high end computer for much less than you can purchase a Mac Pro.

Some people don't want to dink around with putting together their own setup and are willing to pay extra to avoid hassle. This product is for those people.

And those people are generally professionals (make a living off of what they're doing) and compatibility and speed are more important than price, which I bet their employers are paying as these tend to be company property.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I don't understand why someone doesn't pickup a Drobo B800i or Synology iSCSI device?

You mount it on a rack or cabinet and never have to look at it. And it runs similar in price.

I don't want 1 trash can on my desk, never mind 2.

einsteinbqat

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Canada
One reason I believe that it is expensive is because they state that the drives are enterprise-class drives, which usually are more expensive than consumer-class drives. This is aimed at pro users, enterprise/studio use. G-tech makes plenty of consumer drives. Get one of those instead!

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
the nice thing about new new one is that you can replace the drives. I don't think that was possible with the older version.
I wonder how it compares to the Pegasus 2

einsteinbqat

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Canada
the nice thing about new new one is that you can replace the drives. I don't think that was possible with the older version.
I wonder how it compares to the Pegasus 2
I bought the previous generation G Speed back in 2011 (the aluminium one) for my business, and it still works great. The drives are easy swappable. You barely hear them working.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
One reason I believe that it is expensive is because they state that the drives are enterprise-class drives, which usually are more expensive than consumer-class drives. This is aimed at pro users, enterprise/studio use. G-tech makes plenty of consumer drives. Get one of those instead!

While enterprise hard disks do cost more, they still don't cost a whole lot. For instance, WDC's 4TB high-end Se enterprise hard disk costs $250 each and Seagate's Enterprise Capacity 6TB costs $450 each.

G-Speed is effectively charging about $1500-1700 for the chassis.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
These are probably on a par with the Pegasus 2, both in price and performance.

Question then is: what competitive edge do G-Tech have over the Pegasus 2, as they both come with enterprise level disks?**

Answer: not much, except that they attempted to make the G-Tech thing look like a nMacPro.

Yawn. Why even bother. Pegasus can be stored more easily, being square.

(** I have 2x Pegasus 1 R6's and swapped-out the 2TB HDDs for 4TB consumer Hitachi ones in RAID 5, and they work just fine anyway ...the key here being that redundancy isn't my backup solution. ;) Though advice is to use with a Corning 10m optical Tbolt cable in order to store them away in a closet, makes life nice and quiet all 'round!)

________
Should also add that Thunderbolt 3 is in testing, with one making a guess for likely release over the next 12-18 months or so. Hence a lot a cash going down now, when a "bigger better faster stronger" solution soon cometh ...as ever with technology "when does one jump on board", hey! :)

• 40Gbps with more protocol support, ouch! https://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/21/thunderbolt-third-generation-details

Last edited:

brueck

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
More like a decade or two. You need something like 4-6nm stacked/3D NANDs to fit 24TB in a small form factor like a memory card or even a 2.5".

It's taking Intel longer and longer (also incredibly more expensive) to shrink their chips, the same will happen to all NAND fabs.

The profit margins they're making off the SSDs are declining each year because they have to spend more of their profits to invest in the next shrink process. Nobody is going to spend $20 billion dollars just to get more capacity in a smaller drive that is still a small market and likely to bankrupt the company in the long run. That's why you'll be seeing more consolidations in the SSD market soon as Sandisk just bought Fusion-iO today, after Seagate just bought SandForce division from LSI.

Expect the SSD market to look like the hard drive market from 5 years ago with 3-4 big companies, like WD, Seagate, Sandisk, and so on.

Graphene.

thewordiz

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2010
Drobo?

Drobo 5D 20TB Bundle with 5 x 4TB Seagate SATA Hard Drives #DRDR5A21-ST4000-5
Our Price: $1,688.00

Yea, that's what I would get. With a Transporter Sync-another $100

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.