Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With conflicting opinions about whether Apple and partner GT Advanced Technologies will have enough sapphire crystal production ramped up for both rumored iPhone 6 models and the iWatch, Taiwan's Economic Daily News is now weighing in [Google Translate, via G 4 Games] with its own claims that only the larger 5.5-inch iPhone 6 model will include a sapphire display due to production limitations.

According to the report, the smaller 4.7-inch model will continue to use Corning's Gorilla Glass and represent the bulk of shipments for the new iPhone. From G 4 Games:
The source also claims that the 4.7 inch iPhone 6 will hit the market with Gorilla Glass in tow. The main screen suppliers allegedly are LGD and JDI, and in anticipation of the handset's success, the company expects to ship 60 million units (we assume that by the end of 2014). [...]

As far as the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 goes, it will allegedly be built in limited quantities due to low sapphire yield, leading to a limited supply in 2014, therefore contradicting a recent report which claimed that Apple will have enough sapphire for both iPhone 6 models AND the iWatch.
iphone6.jpg
The report also addresses Apple's rumored iWatch, claiming that LG Display has been struggling to meet Apple's demand of nearly zero energy use in standby mode for the device's display. From G 4 Games:
Reportedly, Apple has constantly pushed back the gadget's release date because the device failed, in the past, to meet the company's expectations. One of Apple goals with the iWatch is for the smartwatch's display to draw almost no power when in standby, but this has proven to be a big challenge. And speaking of the display, the device will reportedly feature an OLED screen (between 1.3 and 1.6-inches in size) which will be supplied exclusively by LG Display, just as it's been reported back in January 2014.
Sources for the report reiterate previous claims that Quanta will be handling the bulk of iWatch production, although Inventec will reportedly also be helping out.

According to today's report, the iPhone 6 and the iWatch will be introduced at the end of the third quarter, roughly in line with rumors and Apple's recent iPhone launch history putting this year's introductions in the September-October timeframe.

Article Link: iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Limited to 5.5" Model as LG Struggles with iWatch Display Power Draw?

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
The other day Apple had plenty of sapphire in production and now they don't. Analysts don't know. We'll know when we actually know.

Bare

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
These "reports" are all over the place. We won't know until Apple tells us.

I have a difficult time believing that they'd release two phones with the same name at (nearly) the same time and use two different materials for the screens.

thisisdallas

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
Cupertino, CA
So first, Apple doesn't have the 5.5" model ready
Next, they have both ready
After that, they have plenty of glass
Now, they've got only enough glass for the 5.5" model.

I'm just going to go out on a limb and say that both models with feature the sapphire glass and everything will be right on schedule. Honestly my guess is probably as good as these analyst guesses at this point.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
What is a display in standby mode doing? I mean what is drawing power, do they keep the light panels warm so they are instantly on? I know nothing about screens so hopefully someone can shed some light on it for me.

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
i sometimes need to remind myself that apple hasn't yet shown off the phone. that's quite a testament to the quality of these mockups

kcwookie

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2003
Right...

They have enough sapphire glass for a bigger phone, but not for a littler phone. That makes no sense at all. This is just a rumor to convince people to buy the bigger phone.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The other day Apple had plenty of sapphire in production and now they don't. Analysts don't know. We'll know when we actually know.

That's because apple isn't spelling the beans - they're being as secretive as they possibly can.

Jakexb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2014
Total speculation at this point.

I love the story about Apple pressing for the display to do something that was previously thought to be impossible. That's the kind of stuff that will give them a moat for awhile while everyone else tries to figure out how to copy it. Forget sensors, if Apple could get the iWatch to have a fitbit-like battery life (1 week between charges), that would magical in itself.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
So first, Apple doesn't have the 5.5" model ready
Next, they have both ready
After that, they have plenty of glass
Now, they've got only enough glass for the 5.5" model.

I'm just going to go out on a limb and say that both models with feature the sapphire glass and everything will be right on schedule. Honestly my guess is probably as good as these analyst guesses at this point.

Well, I think we have finally hit full circle. One of the analysts will be right, and they'll be looked at as geniuses who should be listened to for the iPhone 6S predictions next year. Based on their great iPhone 6 track record. :rolleyes:

Manzzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Does any of this really matters?

Glass is glass and it can be broken so if they use the glass they use now or this new sapphire, I'm sure if the phone falls from my hand and hit cement out side it will be a "cha ching" sound to Apple.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
These "reports" are all over the place. We won't know until Apple tells us.

I have a difficult time believing that they'd release two phones with the same name at (nearly) the same time and use two different materials for the screens.

How do you know the names are going to be the same? :rolleyes:

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
I don't want the phablet iPhone, but I do want a sapphire screen!

I am tired of screen covers.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
These iPhone stories are all over the place.

We still have yet to see a real leak of the 5.5" model. Most of the stories are that it will launch later than the 4.7" and be limited in supply.

The 4.7" model is definitely coming at this point. There have been too many leaks, and all signs point to yes.

As for the Sapphire, I do think they will not have enough for the 4.7" model. I think they will launch the 5.5" at a later date, and that does in fact explain this discrepancy. It will also carry a $100 premium.

The iWatch is without question having battery issues, but at this point Apple will be almost "forced" to launch it by the end of the year regardless of where it is at. It may not be perfect, but Apple needs something to promote the Gen 2 model anyway.

Personally, I just hope I can preorder the iPhone 6 online unlike last year. That was so ridiculous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.