Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nearly three months after it was pulled from shelves over safety concerns, Nest has restarted sales of its Nest Protect app-enabled smoke detector with a lower price tag of $99, reports The New York Times.

nestprotect.png
The company, which was acquired by Google in January for $3.2 billion, stopped selling its smoke detector after testing revealed that the Nest Wave feature could be disabled unintentionally. The Nest Wave allows users to silence alarms by waving at the detector as opposed to pressing a physical button. While the glitch hasn't been fixed, the company noted that it will issue a software update to do so in the near future.

The Nest Protect is available to purchase from Nest's official website for $99, and comes in colors of black or white.

Article Link: 'Nest Protect' Smoke Detectors Back On Sale After Safety Recall, Now Starting at $99

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Seems like a pointless recall, even if you "unintentionally" silence the alarm it means you'd be next to it, you'd still hear it going off before it was silenced, you'd probably be aware of the fire burning your house down. Job done.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
The discounted price is on account of the money Google makes from selling your data to the highest bidder.

On this $99 version, instead of an alarm when the fire comes, you get an advertisement "need fire insurance?"

soheilk

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2014
Seems like a pointless recall, even if you "unintentionally" silence the alarm it means you'd be next to it, you'd still hear it going off before it was silenced, you'd probably be aware of the fire burning your house down. Job done.

If I recall correctly the issue wasn't people "unintentionally" silencing the alarm. The problem was that the smoke waves could potentially be seen by the detector as someone waving in front of the detector, hence silencing the alarm "unintentionally" (by the fire smokes).

unsaltedrhino

macrumors member
May 3, 2006
Madrid, Spain
Those who purchased a Nest Protect before June 15th can claim a partial refund;

https://nest.com/nest-protect-credit/

In order to qualify for the credit, your Nest Protect(s) need to meet the following requirements:

• Purchased before June 15, 2014
  • Paired to your Nest Account
  • Connected to the Internet after April 3, 2014
  • Have not been previously submitted for a credit or a full refund
If your Nest Protect(s) aren't currently online or paired to your Nest Account, you'll need to pair them to a Nest Account and ensure they are online before requesting a credit.

Once your information has been verified, you’ll receive an email confirming your request and you’ll receive the credit within 4-6 weeks. The credit will be issued via prepaid debit card that can be used anywhere that accepts Visa. The currency and amount of your credit will depend on your mailing address. Please see the table below for the currency and credit amounts.

• United States - $33.00 USD
  • Canada - $33.90 CAD
  • United Kingdom, Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Spain - £20.00 GBP
  • Anywhere else - $33.00 USD

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I was going to say I'm glad I waited to buy this, but I guess they're offering refunds for people who bought it before.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
People still think this deal was better than Beats. Buying a company for 3.2 billion with revenues of under 250 million a year with ? Margins and no direct link to your core business or beats with 1.5 billion in annual revenue for hardware with 70% + profit margins plus a streaming music business that provides the missing part to your must strategy? Not to mention gaining the guy who helped Jobs negotiate the original iTunes deals.

unsaltedrhino

macrumors member
May 3, 2006
Madrid, Spain
What makes that "unfortunate"? They took two months, reinstated sales, and still don't have the fix in place? Count yourself lucky for not having one of these protecting your home.

Protects me in exactly the same way as it did. Only difference being that I have to press the button to silence (with a little hop) rather than gesticulate my hand and get £20 back...

----------

Unfortunately they don't ship internationally.

They do. Just not to your country currently.

----------

If I recall correctly the issue wasn't people "unintentionally" silencing the alarm. The problem was that the smoke waves could potentially be seen by the detector as someone waving in front of the detector, hence silencing the alarm "unintentionally" (by the fire smokes).

https://nest.com/uk/letter-from-the-ceo/

At Nest, we conduct regular, rigorous tests to ensure that our products are the highest quality. During recent laboratory testing of the Nest Protect smoke alarm, we observed a unique combination of circumstances that caused us to question whether the Nest Wave (a feature that enables you to turn off your alarm with a wave of the hand) could be unintentionally activated. This could delay an alarm going off if there was a real fire. We identified this problem ourselves and are not aware of any customers who have experienced this, but the fact that it could even potentially happen is extremely important to me and I want to address it immediately.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
People still think this deal was better than Beats. Buying a company for 3.2 billion with revenues of under 250 million a year with ? Margins and no direct link to your core business or beats with 1.5 billion in annual revenue for hardware with 70% + profit margins plus a streaming music business that provides the missing part to your must strategy? Not to mention gaining the guy who helped Jobs negotiate the original iTunes deals.

Apple was never going to buy Nest. Don't think they wanted Tony Fadell back.

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2014
Like i'm gonna buy an overpriced device that didn't work properly and needed a recall. Yeah, right!:rolleyes:

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Might be OK for people who live alone. But what about houses with multiple occupants? If you accidentally turned off the alarm while someone else is sleeping thorough, he's in trouble

jimmirehman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2012
Might be OK for people who live alone. But what about houses with multiple occupants? If you accidentally turned off the alarm while someone else is sleeping thorough, he's in trouble

If there is an active fire in a home and it is required for you to evacuate, WHY IN THE HELL would you silence the alarm in the first place!?!?! The ability to silence a smoke detector is only for smoky cooking or small isolated fires.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
What makes that "unfortunate"? They took two months, reinstated sales, and still don't have the fix in place? Count yourself lucky for not having one of these protecting your home.

The crappy sensors they use are a bigger issue that nobody is talking about.

----------

Beats was a great deal for Apple and Nest was a great deal for Google.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Nest is now owned by Google. Apple should put out hardware for the home in addition to the aggregator app home kit. Or just buy phillips. I love the Hue, but it needs to be expanded even further. Or buy Belink to get the WeMo line. I like Hue better, but I will switch if you Apple goes with Belink. My point is that with the new app in iOS8/OSX the only think missing is the hardware. Get rid of Nest. Forget the iWatch, put some home hardware out and this could be huge, IMHO.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
If there is an active fire in a home and it is required for you to evacuate, WHY IN THE HELL would you silence the alarm in the first place!?!?! The ability to silence a smoke detector is only for smoky cooking or small isolated fires.

The poster said "accidentally," so nothing you just said is really relevant. :)

As for the Wave feature, I've always thought it was a bad idea. At least their testing only seemed to indicate movement from people could silence it, but if it's detecting people via IR or movement, I'm not sure why an actual fire couldn't also (very problematically, of course) do the same.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Huh?

So if they pulled them to update the software due to this issue then why are they re introducing them STILL BROKEN months later? Makes no since. At least its only $99 for a broken device instead of $250 :rolleyes:

Think I will stick with the $29 home depot version that works. I don't need to wave at it to tell it goodbye when there is a fire.

xdhd350

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2010
Although I don't have the Nest Protect, they did issue an update today for the IOS app that removes the Nest wave feature according to the release notes.

I have the Nest thermostat and love it.. well, I did until Google bought the company. I figure now it will gradually get worse the way Skype has since Microsoft bought them.

praetorian909

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
Those who purchased a Nest Protect before June 15th can claim a partial refund;

https://nest.com/nest-protect-credit/

Thanks for posting! I bought mine right before the recall. I ended up returning one to Home Depot and what a pain that was (it wouldn't scan because they pulled them off all the shelves). But I still kept a few (didn't want to go thru all that trouble too).

Was kinda on the fence about keeping them/putting them in but I think I will now.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Although I don't have the Nest Protect, they did issue an update today for the IOS app that removes the Nest wave feature according to the release notes.

I have the Nest thermostat and love it.. well, I did until Google bought the company. I figure now it will gradually get worse the way Skype has since Microsoft bought them.

HAHA You loved your Nest until Google bought Nest? Tell me, what exactly happened to your Nest or any other Nest after Nest was purchased by Google?

That is like saying you loved Ford until someone you severely disliked bought a Ford. In other words, irrational online poster is irrational.

xdhd350

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2010
HAHA You loved your Nest until Google bought Nest? Tell me, what exactly happened to your Nest or any other Nest after Nest was purchased by Google?

See my Skype analogy. It doesn't happen immediately. But tell me... WHY did Google want to buy a thermostat company. Google in an information harvesting behemoth that is buying up companies that it feels will further that quest for knowledge about everyone's business.

You are correct that my Nest still looks as nice on the wall and usually functions as well as it did when I bought it. But lately, there have started to be 'issues' with successive software updates. Mainly with the online connectivity portion.

Now Google may be buying Skybox?

With anything Google, you are not their customer, you are their product.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
The discounted price is on account of the money Google makes from selling your data to the highest bidder.

That is strange since Nest didn't update their TOS yet to allow that. They are still being operated as a separate company and aren't sharing data with Google.

----------

Google didn't buy Nest for their smoke detectors and thermostats. By most accounts, they bought Nest for their hardware design team. It seems to be a long term buy and not one for short term gains.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.