Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Who cares about other sizes.

The bigger the better. You can do so much more with it.
Oh FFS, really? A bigger display doesn't mean you can do more. You have more real estate but it doesn't somehow mean you have the ability to do more in terms of tasks on an iPhone.
How do you know the names are going to be the same? :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: How does anyone know anything that is going to happen with the iPhone?

These people and their need to hold 5+ inches in hands is silly. Apple will produce whatever they produce but frankly, I wonder who has actually tried to pocket a 5.5" phone. I've done it with a 4.7" and it is not comfortable. I can't imagine what it will be like for those skinny little dork hipsters and their little sister's jeans.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Please stop using that mockup. That's not what the phone is going to look like. Use something like this instead:

epic520_1_4544_e05ac3ec87759d0b178d0d18b8bb3fb3.jpg

Enabledobject

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2014
I don't want the phablet iPhone, but I do want a sapphire screen!

I am tired of screen covers.

I don't know why, but even it it has a sapphire screen I would probly still put a crystal clear screen protector on it.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
BS if its not sapphire on the one that's a reasonable size then I'm not upgrading.

Hopefully it's on both, but even if it's just on the larger one.... I don't think sapphire is going to make a difference this generation like it may in the future. Sapphire is a surface that is difficult to scratch, similar to gorilla glass. For now, this is more about Apple controlling their supply chain. Gorilla glass is the big loser in this if they lose orders from Apple.
Maybe we'll see some picky and crazy side by sides of how light reflects slightly differently or how one is not as terrible in the sun, etc. But in the grand scheme of things, the typical user won't even notice.

Granted, I would love to have sapphire just to say that I have it, but I don't think it should be a make or break feature, because there is nothing this generation that will require sapphire.

I think, eventually, (several iPhones down the line), we will finally lose the bezel and the home button, and the fingerprint scanner will be on the display itself. The home button now is made of sapphire , and some of the early rumors suggested that the fingerprint scanner would be on the display, so it makes sense to eventually evolve to it. This is a good first step to make sure they get the sapphire display part of it down before going even fancier by making it a fingerprint scanner.
But that's just me speculating as wildly as these analysts. :D

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I don't want the phablet iPhone, but I do want a sapphire screen!

I am tired of screen covers.

So at what size does a mobile phone become a tablet?

Might I have a wild guess that you would regard that as anything over 4.70"

----------

Please stop using that mockup. That's not what the phone is going to look like. Use something like this instead:

I think we all prefer the mockup :)

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
I will get a 4.7 iPhone6 whatever glass it has, whether I keep it 12 or 24 months depends upon what comes next in 2015

Perhaps I've been lucky but I've never broken a screen and I never use a cover (3, 3G, 4, 4S)

that be me

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2013
Who cares about other sizes.

The bigger the better. You can do so much more with it.
In b4 that's what she said?

On topic: Sapphire is very scratch resistant, but fairly brittle. I would be far less concerned about a scratched screen than a cracked/broken one. Focus on shatter resistant (proof) screens please.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
They've gotta justify the $100 higher starting price somehow, right? ;)

ipad air is 100$ more than ipad mini? so whats your point? So only the display size and some gamma reproduction is the difference. But again they need both to have sapphire. The 4.7" will be the mainstream for all the girls and boys

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Standby mode for...a watch? I want my watch to be a freaking watch. If I wanted to constantly tap a sleep/wake button to see the time, I would have strapped my damn iPod nano on my wrist years ago.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Said it in a previous thread, but I think they really have "doubled down" on secrecy. The rumors/analysts are all over the place, with 0 concrete evidence, and minimal part leaks as well.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
That's because apple isn't spelling the beans - they're being as secretive as they possibly can.

Exactly. People use the "doubling down on secrecy" as some ironic joke, but it looks to me that Apple is doing a pretty good job so far at keeping the next iOS devices under wraps.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
I love the story about Apple pressing for the display to do something that was previously thought to be impossible.

Impossible? OLED screen already don't draw any power to show black.
Similarly, e-ink screens only draw power to change mode. So impossible.... hardly.

, if Apple could get the iWatch to have a fitbit-like battery life (1 week between charges), that would magical in itself.

Depends upon what the watch is doing. If it just fitblit like sensing then not really a big deal. What the iWatch doesn't do is likely is as important as to what it does do.

What is a display in standby mode doing? I mean what is drawing power, do they keep the light panels warm so they are instantly on? I know nothing about screens so hopefully someone can shed some light on it for me.

With OLED, the display is the "light panel". The pixels are turned on to produce a color. If all off then black. So a standby mode of the face completely dark should consume almost no power ( there is likely some secondary control circuit that has minor losses. ). For OLEDs put those circuits "to sleep" and dropping losses might be an issue.

The issue also would hinge on "stand by" was just a 'dark' watch or one with a analog/digital watch face working. No power draw while the seconds hand is sweeping across the screen..... yeah that would be magical. A watch face that is completely black ... no so much.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
So at what size does a mobile phone become a tablet?

Might I have a wild guess that you would regard that as anything over 4.70"

I never said tablet, I said Phablet.

Ideally I would prefer the 6 to keep it's current 4 inch size, but that does not seem likely, and I don't want to get last years spec'd 5s, just because I don't want a bigger phone.

But a 5.5 inch phone is a real monster size wise in my view I think anyone would classify that as a phablet, and I am all for apple offering it to people who want it though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.