Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Longtime GPS navigation leader Garmin is expanding its app portfolio with its newly-announced navigation title, Viago. The maps company hopes to compete with free navigation apps such as Apple Maps by offering Viago with an affordable price tag and a robust set of core navigation features.

garmin-viago.jpeg
Viago sets itself apart from the competition with a set of standard navigation features that are not usually available in free apps, such as lane assist, speed limit display, weather information, photo-realistic junction views and more. Customers who want more than these base features can opt to purchase advanced options a la carte via in-app purchases. Additional paid features include real-time traffic with automatic rerouting, urban navigation with public transportation, downloadable maps and more.
"Garmin víago offers the best navigation technology available from Garmin, helping drivers to reduce stress and save time on the road," said Joern Watzke, vice president world-wide mobile business at Garmin Wuerzburg GmbH. "The comprehensive feature set goes far beyond simple turn-by-turn directions and assists drivers like no other navigation app. Premium in app purchase options allow users to fully customize their navigation experience and only choose the features they want."
The app also features Garmin Real Directions (in-app purchase), which allows the driver to receive descriptive driving directions that include notable landmarks, traffic signs and traffic light status that make it easier to drive an unfamiliar route. Viago also is compatible with Garmin HUD, a standalone Bluetooth device that projects driving directions into the driver's line of sight using a transparent film on the car windshield or an attached reflector lens.

Garmin Viago [Direct Link] is available now at a launch price of $0.99 (normally $1.99) until July 13, 2014. In-app purchase packages range from $4.99 to $19.99 with Maps to Go and Traffic Live now discounted 50 percent during this promotional period.

Article Link: Garmin Launches 'Viago' Navigation App for iOS with Speed Limits, Lane Assist, and More

Lapidus

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
I'll stick with my Navigon app. I've been a happy customer for 4 years now. Hope they can make their app carplay-friendly.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Another Navigon fan here (Garmin does own them now). I use Apple Maps most of the time, but Navigon works offline (all data is local) and it shows the current speed limit--even when not following nav instructions.

I wish Apple showed the current speed limit! (Does Google? I've never noticed it.)

treborn

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2014
Salem, Oregon
Another Navigon fan here (Garmin does own them now). I use Apple Maps most of the time, but Navigon works offline (all data is local) and it shows the current speed limit--even when not following nav instructions.

I wish Apple showed the current speed limit! (Does Google? I've never noticed it.)

I have never seen speed limit on any apps except for WAZE (owned by Google). If I use navigation via any app, I place my device over my speedometer which is not always good. So, have a speed limit with the app would be helpful. I know Moves tracks your average speed limit when you drive, so it might just be a matter of coding that factor into the app. Sounds simple enough.

AS for paying for Garmin, I will pass. I know some guys that work there in the Salem, Oregon location, but I don't need to pay for something I can get for free. Just like music subscription services.

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
I have never seen speed limit on any apps except for WAZE (owned by Google). If I use navigation via any app, I place my device over my speedometer which is not always good. So, have a speed limit with the app would be helpful. I know Moves tracks your average speed limit when you drive, so it might just be a matter of coding that factor into the app. Sounds simple enough.

AS for paying for Garmin, I will pass. I know some guys that work there in the Salem, Oregon location, but I don't need to pay for something I can get for free. Just like music subscription services.

Navigon (owned by Garmin) does show the speed. Free isn't always the best, and for a nominal amount of money sometimes you get a much better experience.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I don't see a need for alot of the in-app purchases. I for one don't see a need for traffic updates and re-routing since the free apps do that already.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
holy in-app purchases batman.. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/garmin-viago/id853603997?mt=8

Maps to Go North America$9.99
Traffic Live North America$9.99
Safety Kit$9.99
Sound & Buildings$9.99
Garmin Real Directions$9.99
Maps to Go Europe$9.99
Urban Guidance$4.99
Panorama View 3D$9.99
Mobile Alert Live North America$9.99
Maps to Go Latin America$9.99

All that is still cheaper than paying to update the maps on my Garmin Zumo 550. ;)

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Thank god. Been looking to bridge the gap between Google Maps and something better. This should be it. Waze would be it if the map wasn't so jumpy and buggy with their map interface.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I used to own a GPS device for my car. I ended giving it away as I found that the iphone was good enough for my needs. Never even thought about downloading app. Having read this article, I do remember missing the spead alerts that told me when I was going to fast. The ability to download map for use when you can't connect is nice, but I doubt I would buy that unless I am going overseas where I will not have service.

All in all this looks nice and the company is well known and respected. However, I think I will stick to my iMaps for now.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010

Tomtom has the speed limit for as long as I know. Then again at the price point of $45 I suspect not many people actually owns Tomtom these days. It was a good investment couple years ago when there are only few good GPS on phone to choose from. One good thing about Tomtom is that it load all maps on your phone (1.5+GB). So if you are without cell signal, as long as you have a clear sky, you are good to go.

Last edited:

drmikey

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
Seattle
I've been a Navigon user since they first released it on ios. I use it for all of my longer road trips (the speed limit feature is great when driving in areas less frequented) and a mix of apple and google for local stuff. I find it has better lane assist and graphic detail on their maps than Waze and other competitors. I also really like the topographic detail Navigon has. Of course it was an in app purchase.

The main thing I don't like about the latest update to Navigon, is the display now has a black bar on top and bottom rather than being translucent. It makes the screen seem smaller and hides some of the map detail.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I'm a fan of Navigon, but doesn't Garmin own Navigon? I wonder how they differ?
It's probably meant as a lower-cost option for people who don't need all the features in one package. Pretty inexpensive way to get high-quality offline maps via the in-app purchase. I'll probably buy the base version just to see how it compares to Navigon in terms of usability etc.

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
It's probably meant as a lower-cost option for people who don't need all the features in one package. Pretty inexpensive way to get high-quality offline maps via the in-app purchase. I'll probably buy the base version just to see how it compares to Navigon in terms of usability etc.

The problem is, you don't get turn by turn voice navigation without buying that add in, and that add in also requires you to buy the maps, which brings it up to $20 +. To me, voice turn by turn is a must in a navigation program.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
The problem is, you don't get turn by turn voice navigation without buying that add in, and that add in also requires you to buy the maps, which brings it up to $20 +. To me, voice turn by turn is a must in a navigation program.
According to their web site, you do get voice directions in the base version, just not the fancy "real directions".

I just bought the app for the introductory price (which will expire on July 13, BTW) and will report back later today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.