Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Continuing the tradition from previous betas....

Post any bugs, new features, or changes in iOS 8 beta 2 that you notice compared to beta 1 and/or iOS 7.1.1. I'll keep this post updated with everyone's findings

Bug fixes:

- Names of apps in App Store search results no longer cut off
- Users can leave app reviews again, couldn't do so in beta 1
- Adding a photo to a message in the Messages app no longer deletes what you've said before inserting the picture into the textbox
- Brightness control slider works again in the Settings app
- iTunes "other" bug fixed
- Settings now remembers previous position when swiping back
- Location bug fixed
- Clicking the picture thumbnail after taking a picture in the Camera app now brings you to the correct, last-taken photo

New features/changes:

- Safari now blocks ads from automatically redirecting to the App Store without user interaction.
- Podcasts app now preinstalled
- Predictive keyboard now on the iPad
- New options for Notification and Control Center in AssistiveTouch
- Camera and Voice icon no longer blue in Messages app
- Home Data section in the Privacy menu
- iCloud Photo Welcome screen
- Slightly larger text size for keyboard word suggestions
- Photos app has separate albums for Bursts and Slo-mos

Build 12A4297e

Last edited:

batting1000

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Verizon iPhone 5S

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 689

rssfed23

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
Southampton, UK
Really hope you keep it updated for us :D - The "beta 1" thread never saw so much as a single update to the OP!

So far I've noticed Safari seems more stable - it used to crash 3-6 times upon first opening from standby but now doesn't!

Unlocking my 5s also seems better (used to take a few seconds for the screen to come alight again!)

Also; Grindr isn't crashing anymore after receiving more than one message!

WhatsApp is still borked for me, although about to wipe out the iCloud storage and see how that goes!

Also; Feedly still doesn't seem to sign in via google (but again; about to attempt a clean out and reinstall of the app!)

Last edited:

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Still on 7.0.6 JB but I'm on the edge of updating my main phone to iOS 8 once it gets more stable (do have dev license) in order to starting Swift coding. I hope this beta is less buggy than the last.

deep1

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
Can someone please confirm if whatsapp crashing and location bug is fixed?
Thanks in advance.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
I am really really bored.

Is Beta 2 OK for a newb? Still too buggy for non-dev?

Prabas

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2010
Europe
Let ninja do these things, he's the only one who knows how to do it.

What's the point of creating thread when first post is useless?

batting1000

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Let ninja do these things, he's the only one who knows how to do it.

What's the point of creating thread when first post is useless?

I'll keep it updated as people post more things. The beta was just released, give it some time to actually download.

HeyKatie

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
Sorry I know this doesn't go here but I didn't want to start a new topic it. What's the best way to install this beta option+update or option+restore then restore from an iCloud backup?

rssfed23

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
Southampton, UK
Sorry I know this doesn't go here but I didn't want to start a new topic it. What's the best way to install this beta option+update or option+restore then restore from an iCloud backup?

There's no "best way". Some people swear by a clean install and restore each time. Some people prefer update!
I guess the idea is you *should* be able to update OTA each time without any issues. Again; in theory!

But some people seemed to have bugs that others didn't when upgrading from 7.1 to 8 Beta 1 with certain apps (probably due to existing app data!).

For me personally; I do a clean install of each beta. Don't do an iCloud restore (all my stuff contacts/photos etc is stored in google anyway so I don't loose any important data and don't mind losing old messages...). It's mainly OCD/personal preference, but heck; I didn't have many major problems with 8 Beta 1.

Some people will swear by some methods and others will swear by others. Either way; some will criticise you whichever way you do it so do what you prefer and don't take slack when people get overly-angry at you for what is really a non-issue! (besides; the different upgrade paths and clean install methods should all be tested anyways as in the field real users are all going to do it different ways with the majority being OTA; so think of it as helping apple test all routes of upgrading or clean-installing ;) )

batting1000

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Interesting, the build number is almost exactly right. On the other hand, the supposed release notes don't seem to match up at all and most of the stuff doesn't appear in the real release notes. So there's still a disconnect somewhere.

Yeah, I wonder how they figured out the build number.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
"Safari now blocks ads from automatically redirecting to the App Store without user interaction."

Good!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.