Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside iOS 8 beta 2, Apple today released a new version of OS X Yosemite, just over two weeks after initially introducing the operating system at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference.

The update, Developer Preview 2, has a build number of 14A261i, and can be downloaded from the Mac App Store or the Mac Dev Center.

osxyosemite-800x229.jpg
OS X Yosemite brings a flatter, more modern look to OS X, with an emphasis on translucency, along with a slew of new features, including improved integration with iOS 8 through Continuity. It also includes a new "Today" view in Notification Center that offers integration with third-party apps, a retooled Spotlight search that offers new data sources, and several new features for apps like Mail, Safari, and Messages.

OS X Yosemite is currently only available to developers, but Apple plans to offer a beta version of the software to Mac users at some point during the summer. A public release of OS X Yosemite is expected in the fall, after several additional beta iterations.

New Features:

- Photo Booth: Photo Booth, which was missing from the first Yosemite beta, has now returned.
photobooth.jpg
- Time Machine: Time Machine has a redesigned interface that removes the stars. (via 9to5Mac).

- Screen Sharing: Screen Sharing has been updated to version 6, allowing users to block incoming screen share requests.

timemachine.jpg
- Settings: There's a new Settings icon.

settingsicon.png
- AirDrop: AirDrop now offers a notification directly on the screen when a file is incoming, so it is no longer necessary to open Finder to receive a file (via 9to5Mac).

airdrop.jpg
Handoff: According to several of our forum members, Handoff between iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite is now far more functional.

System Information: There's a new field for Continuity support in the Bluetooth category of the System Information app, which lets users know if their machines support features like Continuity and AirDrop.

Article Link: Apple Releases OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 2

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Woo-hoo! Bring on the dark theme (can't stand the "Miami Vice" 80's colors, the blue folder icon makes my eyes bleed)

j0ester

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
I feel like this OS X version is more stable than OS X 10.9 Mavericks. Even if it is in DevPreview.

I'm just not a fan of Spotlight now. I hate clicking it and then I get a pop-up. BOO!

cylack

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2006
Orlando, FL
Yosemite has been running very nicely on my rMBP 13. Have not had the infamous wifi issues at all. The new dock is so much better than the old one in Mavericks.

Spontida

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
How can I install this with bootcamp installed on a second partion. Last time it made my bootcamp partion unbootable.

besler3035

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Can anyone confirm that Adobe CS6 and CC apps still work? I remember when I tested Mavericks DP2, Fireworks CS6 ceased to launch. Worked fine in Yosemite DP1.

VacantPsalm

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2010
First time partaking in a dev preview. Do I just update with the "OS X 10.10 Update 1.0" in the updates section or should I redownload the installer in the purchases tab? The 1.0 is throwing me off; it makes sense since it's the first update, but my brain wants to see a 2.

Either way, currently downloading the "Update 1.0" because it can't hurt (probably) and shouldn't take too long. (I'm at like 320 MB right now.)

Added:
downloading.. 1.16 GB on 2009 cMP ;)
I believe this answers my question. Thank you very much. : 3 (also 1.16 GB for me: retina MBP)

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Hopefully this means the public beta is just around the corner, with most of the BIG bugs gone. Really hoping we get a public beta release by the end of this week or early next week. Summer starts on June 21st and I'm itching to get my hands on OSX Yosemite.

ERIC273

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
NJ
I can confirm that regardless to if you are a licensed dev, if you obtained the beta through whatever means other than entering a code into the mac appstore you still get the update :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.