Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released the second beta of iOS 8, which brings a number of improvements, changes, and bug fixes to the beta software that was introduced on June 2.

iOS 8 beta 2 also includes several minor interface tweaks and modifications that make the beta feel both faster and more polished. We've gathered a list of the enhancements that have been bundled into the release below.

Podcasts: Following iOS 8 beta 2, the Podcasts app is a default iOS app that comes pre-installed on iOS devices. This means it can no longer be deleted.

podcasts.jpg
Safari: According to the release notes, Safari will now block ads from automatically redirecting to the App Store without user interaction. Safari also includes a new pinch to tab view.

App Store Purchases: Apps in the App Store's purchased tab are once again sorted by purchase date. In iOS 8 beta 1, they were sorted alphabetically. It's also possible to leave reviews in the App Store again, a feature unavailable in beta 1 due to a bug, and the App Store now displays Family Purchases.

familypurchases.jpg
QuickType Keyboard: Apple's QuickType keyboard is now available on the iPad as well as the iPhone, but does not appear to be available on the iPad 2.

Brightness: In beta 1, the Brightness toggle in the Settings menu under Wallpaper and Brightness was broken. It is now functional again.

Messages: Icons for the camera and the microphone in Messages are now gray rather than blue and there's a new setting to mark all messages read.

messages1.jpg
Settings: There's a new "Raise to Listen" setting for Messages.

Privacy: There's a new Home Data section within the Privacy menu of the Settings app.

homedata.jpg
iCloud Photos: When entering the Photos app, there's a new "iCloud Photos" popup that activates Apple's new iCloud Photos feature, replacing a user's existing Photo Stream settings.

icloudphotos1.jpg
Notifications: There's a new "Allow Notifications" setting available for each app, which works as a sort of global mute to let users to mute notifications from an app on an individual basis. Previously, there was only an option to disallow apps from showing notifications in Notification Center.

allownotifications.jpg
Battery Usage by App: The Battery Usage by App menu in the Settings menu now includes a setting that lets users know how much battery their phones used when no coverage was available.

batteryusage2.jpg
Handoff: According to several of our forum members, Handoff between iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite is now far more functional.

Additional features in iOS 8 beta 2 will be added here as they are discovered. Apple is likely to continue pushing regular updates to iOS 8, bringing minor performance boosts and changes ahead of the operating system's public release, which is expected to come in the fall. For more information on iOS 8's features, big and small, make sure to check out our roundups.

Article Link: iOS 8 Beta 2 Tidbits: Permanent Podcasts App, QuickType Keyboard for iPad, and More

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Ugh...more pre-installed apps! Just make them Appstore apps. Not only will you allow users to have a choice but you can also update these apps without pushing out a system update.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Great that they've changed the Safari redirecting things. I've been noticing that more and more lately with visiting third party sites to suddenly be shoved into the App Store to view some free app.

Also, I'm glad that's cleared up about iCloud Photos. I thought each of your devices was going to try to physically download all of your photos in the cloud and then download any changes. It looks like your photos will remain stored in the cloud but visible by your devices. I was struggling to see the point of offering 200GB iCloud storage for cheap but then making it so your devices physically downloaded all of your photos.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
iBooks and Podcast will go straight to the "apple trash" folder. thx god it has pages within folders by now cuz that folder is pretty crowded by now. smh

just add a suggestion pop up when u open the appstore for the first time and be done with it -.-

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I wish the purchased apps were still listed alphabetically. I can't remember which apps I bought when, but I can remember what they are called (and therefore how they are spelled). Sorting by purchase date seems silly.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
Ugh. If anything, they should be allowing us to delete default apps.

I agree. I've always agreed. I don't understand why i have to have a Stocks app.

Remember when Windows forced IE onto everyone? How is this not the same thing with iOS and Safari.

(also, my usual comment: the podcasts don't sync very well, so i hope they fix that... again)

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
I saw there's an Apple TV beta out too. Anyone get that?

Hmm, tempted to give this one a spin! Hopefully the Apple TV UX will get a iOS 7 redesign as Apple is getting parity towards OS X with Yosemite.

But I haven't seen Apple made it possible for developers to "update" their Apple TV with BETA software? If I'm still forced to do a hard restore and wipe all my settings which is a huge pain in the arse to get back as I need to get Home Sharing going before I can actually use my phone for interaction and typing I wont bother..

Doffy

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2014
Great that they've changed the Safari redirecting things. I've been noticing that more and more lately with visiting third party sites to suddenly be shoved into the App Store to view some free app.

Also, I'm glad that's cleared up about iCloud Photos. I thought each of your devices was going to try to physically download all of your photos in the cloud and then download any changes. It looks like your photos will remain stored in the cloud but visible by your devices. I was struggling to see the point of offering 200GB iCloud storage for cheap but then making it so your devices physically downloaded all of your photos.

I think I cried a little when I read about the safari changes.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
You've gotta love how the thumbnail view of the photo stream looks like a corrupt analog broadcast.

Can the Podcast app be put in a folder at least?

Ah, I see you use the 'comment first, look at article later' strategy. ;)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.