Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside the second iOS 8 beta released earlier today, Apple also released a new version of the Apple TV software. The two updates appear to have laid the groundwork for Family Sharing, as there's a new section for "Family Purchases" in the iOS App Store's Purchased tab and a new iCloud Family setting for the Apple TV.

As noted by 9to5Mac, Family Sharing on the Apple TV (and on the App Store) is not yet functional, but as described by Apple during the Worldwide Developers Conference, it allows users to share purchased content across accounts.

familysharing.jpg
Image courtesy of 9to5Mac​
Families of up to six people with iTunes accounts that use the same credit card can share content like apps, iBooks, music, movies, and more, across all of their devices using iCloud. Family Sharing also lets families share photos, videos, a calendar, reminders, and more, to keep everyone in the family connected.

On the Apple TV, it is likely Family Sharing will let users access TV shows, movies, and music that has been downloaded by family members.

Today's Apple TV software update was only available for the third-generation Apple TV (and Rev A), so it is unclear if features like Family Sharing will be limited to those devices, excluding second generation Apple TVs.

Though it is not yet available, Family Sharing will be implemented before OS X Yosemite and iOS 8 are released to the public this fall.

Article Link: New Apple TV Beta, iOS 8 Beta 2 Lay Groundwork for Upcoming Family Sharing Feature

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
So no completely revamped AppleTV software soon?

I suspect this is a maintenance release, to add in stuff that Yosemite compels them to add. They don't want any major element of their ecosystem to not be compatible.

Odds are, there's going to be a big hardware upgrade, and with that, a big OS upgrade. Can't come soon enough. I wish there was a "default to Netflix" setting on my Apple TV.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
So no apple 2 tv, im going to guess that the Apple TV 3 won't get iOS 9 since all A5 devices would be stopped at 9 like A4 stops at 8. So I would assume somthing Apple TV related will be release sometime by iOS 9.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Let me guess - home sharing is going to stop working when Yosemite is released forcing hardware updates on some people who had a perfectly functional family set-up using older hardware.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
According to that screenshot Family Sharing is now called iCloud Family?

I'm starting to see what Apple meant when they said iCloud was the centre of their strategy for the next 10 years. It makes perfect sense now: its not a technology strategy, its a sales strategy. iCloud features demand the latest OS on all devices. Dropbox doesn't, Google Drive doesn't but iCloud only works if you are completely current on every device. If you fall behind, your access is cut. Why's that? So they can hold your data and services for ransom if you don't have modern hardware.

How many people lost sync services when Mobile Me got 'upgraded' and their hardware wasn't new enough. How many lost sync access when iWork got that upgrade/downgrade fiasco. How many lost Aperture with the non-backwards-compatible mandatory update. We'll lose home sharing next. Then our photo roll. All these free updates and services aren't the free handout they appear to be. iCloud as a service has no need whatsoever to be so demanding on the currency of your hardware and OS. This is all a big scheme.

Last edited:

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
Let me guess - home sharing is going to stop working when Yosemite is released forcing hardware updates on some people who had a perfectly functional family set-up using older hardware.

I'm hoping not. My ATV2's do exactly what I want of them, have yet to see a compelling reason to upgrade.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
I just wish that the Apple TV hardware upgrade would come out already. I held out from buying the 2nd and 3rd gen for so long that I expect a new model to get announced the moment that I purchase either of them.

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
iCloud as a service has no need whatsoever to be so demanding on the currency of your hardware and OS. This is all a big scheme.

Your complains about being pushed to the latest and news are certainly valid (if nothing new in the world of Apple), but you're mistaken about this one.

Adding new features to a service integrated with software always requires new software. You don't get new Dropbox features without updating the software, either. And at some point, support is going to be dropped. For example, Dropbox shut down V1 of their mobile API recently, leaving a lot of unupdateable apps (on older devices) unable to sync.

Apple could certainly backport support for this new feature to older OS versions, but as a software engineer I can tell you there is significant effort involved in maintaining multiple active development branches. No matter your resources, it will slow you down. So much for "no need".

tbluhp

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2006
Dose the Apple TV need to be registered the "UDID" in order for it to instal and work?

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
I just wish that the Apple TV hardware upgrade would come out already. I held out from buying the 2nd and 3rd gen for so long that I expect a new model to get announced the moment that I purchase either of them.

Well for heaven’s sake, go buy one so the rest of us can get the new one. It sounds like Apple is just waiting on you. :)

Deelron

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2009
So no apple 2 tv, im going to guess that the Apple TV 3 won't get iOS 9 since all A5 devices would be stopped at 9 like A4 stops at 8. So I would assume somthing Apple TV related will be release sometime by iOS 9.

The iPad Mini uses an A5 and is included in iOS9.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
I have a home that I rent out as a vacation rental. I stay there myself sometimes and so I have an Apple TV there. I'd like to have a "Guest Mode" so that I can allow guests to use the Apple TV and the music/movies/TV shows I already own, but prevent them from renting or buying things from iTunes.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin

Sol, PLEASE BUY ONE. That way everyone will soon benefit from a new release. :)

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
This is all a big scheme.

Yes, yes it's all a 'conspiracy' to get you to spend more on Apple product. I tell you right now, I'm not buying. Not buying your theory, that is. I am definitely buying to stay up to date with the latest and greatest Apple goods.

babaroga73

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2014
Alas...

Whenever I hear some news about them iWatch things , a little part of me dies inside ... knowing that Apple TV stuck firmly remains a hobby ..

kuwxman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Kansas City
I don't own an AppleTV and don't have any experience with one. So I was surprised the other day to see my in-laws in use and how absolutely horrible the interface is. Hope that changes when the new hardware is released.

vpndev

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2009
Family Sharing ?

I have a home that I rent out as a vacation rental. I stay there myself sometimes and so I have an Apple TV there. I'd like to have a "Guest Mode" so that I can allow guests to use the Apple TV and the music/movies/TV shows I already own, but prevent them from renting or buying things from iTunes.

I suspect that "Family Sharing" will permit exactly this. The AppleID for guests would be like a children's one - use what's available but can't buy anything new.

Dunk the Lunk

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2007
.uk

Yes I'd like to put one in our spare bedroom, which doesn't have an aerial socket (we do have a spare tv however). So family and friends could use it but not logged on in my account. I don't think thats possible (yet)?

UFGatorMel

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2012
We have two iTunes accounts (one for me, one for my husband) with two different credit cards. So I guess for this to work I need to change his account to my credit card? What happens with past purchases under the old CC?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.