Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
Best way to check would be to send it to a device over iMessage, saving it to the camera roll, then transferring it to a computer and checking the file size from the computer. Either use the cable to transfer it, Dropbox, or if AirDrop works then I guess use AirDrop. Don't use something like Imgur, this will compress the photo.

This is something I've complained about in the past, iMessage doesn't compress photos/videos before sending them. This means you can get huge photos of like 3MB sent up and down, not only wasting storage space but also wasting mobile data and even iCloud storage.

I delete all of the pictures sent over iMessage (And my computer's iMessage will keep them so it's not like they're completely gone) but this is a bore. Luckily it seems you can nuke all the pics in a thread now but that doesn't solve wasting mobile data.

I have a 64GB iPhone and Unlimited data so for me this feature is nice. I love the fact that iMessage sends full quality.

If you can't have a bigger plan or a higher capacity iPhone then I suggest you should use Whatsapp or Mail for sending media. As other users mentioned, they compress the photos.

:)

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
Yes exactly like that. Which is why I can't understand why anyone would WANT to compressed photos and videos.

I'd like to see the video, as I've said and keep saying, compression ≠ horrible quality. The pic above is just a case of too much compression. If you do to the second page you'll see some pictures I compressed, they don't look anything like the flower.

Simple solution would bet to just turn off iMessage and use regular texting. Problem solved.

Yeah why does iMessage even exist? This the worst 'solution' here.

J@ffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2002
Behind you!
I read somewhere recently that iMessage doesn't compress images send over it when both recipients are on Wi-Fi. If either the sender or recipient is on 3G/4G/etc, it does compress them. Don't have the intuitional source handy now but can dig it out later if desired.

Has everyone here who's done tests been on wi-fi?

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
I read somewhere recently that iMessage doesn't compress images send over it when both recipients are on Wi-Fi. If either the sender or recipient is on 3G/4G/etc, it does compress them. Don't have the intuitional source handy now but can dig it out later if desired.

Has everyone here who's done tests been on wi-fi?

I sent a pic over 4G and it was uncompressed, 3G compressed it and did a pretty good job actually, from 2.6MB (top right) to 485KB (top left), and clearly not looking like it was taken with a potato (bottom).

Edit: Just noticed that if you hover your mouse over the files then it'll give you some info, at least for me it does.

Attachments

• Compressed.jpeg
    Compressed.jpeg
    473.6 KB · Views: 109
  • Uncompressed.jpeg
    Uncompressed.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 115
  • Potato.jpeg
    Potato.jpeg
    12.3 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

FriednTested

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014
Personally I like that it sends full quality, but it would be preferable to have the option to compress (Even if it was just an option in settings and not every time.)

I have blessed Apple for not compressing.. If you want compressed you can use whatsapp or what not apps out there... or just email them (you get an option to compress)

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
I have blessed Apple for not compressing.. If you want compressed you can use whatsapp or what not apps out there... or just email them (you get an option to compress)

How many times does this need to be suggested? Lol

nok123

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2009
Low bandwidth

I would advocate compression in low bandwidth situations. Here in China, uploading to imessage is a pain on cellular, perhaps because there is no compression. Photos are painfully slow to send or don't send at all. Therefore, few people use iMessage.

Ideally, if a low bandwidth situation is detected, compression is implemented.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.