Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

StackSocial has just launched a new "Summer Blockbuster Mac Bundle" that offers up to 10 apps with 10% of all profits going to one of three charities. Buyers can "name their own price" for the bundle and every purchase includes the following three apps:

- DiscLabel ($40)
- SyncMate Expert 5 ($40)
- Tangerine! ($25)

If a buyer pays more than the current average price displayed on StackSocial's sales page for the bundle, the buyer will receive all 10 apps offered which includes the three apps listed above plus the following seven apps:

- Path Finder 6 ($40)
- Fantastical ($20)
- Flux 4 ($125)
- Gemini ($10)
- Logoist ($20)
- Tunes Cleaner ($40)
- MacX iPhone DVD Ripper ($40)

The total retail value of the bundle is $400. As with its last "Name Your Own Price" bundle in April, StackSocial is encouraging higher purchase prices by giving away an 11-inch MacBook Air in a random drawing with entries earned by taking a position on the price leaderboard while the bundle is available for purchase.

The bundle will be on sale until July 6.

MacRumors is an affiliate partner of StackSocial.

Article Link: 10 Mac Apps in Summer 'Name Your Own Price' Bundle and MacBook Air in Giveaway

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
The one app that seems worth having in there is Fantastical, and I already have it.

It's interesting how much crap in the bundle is built around the idea that you still care about your iTunes library. I'm curious how many people still do - I used to, then I was introduced to Spotify. I plain stopped buying music recordings when Spotify became free for mobile. The only time I buy music now is for tickets to see live performances.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
The one app that seems worth having in there is Fantastical, and I already have it.

It's interesting how much crap in the bundle is built around the idea that you still care about your iTunes library. I'm curious how many people still do - I used to, then I was introduced to Spotify. I plain stopped buying music recordings when Spotify became free for mobile. The only time I buy music now is for tickets to see live performances.

I am not familiar with any of these apps. But I still buy music. I still want to carry my music with me and be able to play it even when I do not have service, like on a plane. Or, as an ex DJ, when I want to play specific songs and mix them together in a specific way and do not want network issues or commercials to get in the way. If you never fly and always have perfect network access, I guess you really never need iTunes. That ain't me, and frankly even if it was, I still like to own versus rent. I own my home, don't rent. I own my car, don't lease.

retrocool

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2004
Pathfinder

Of the apps featured, the one I really love is Pathfinder. To me, a mac is more or less unusable until it has pathfinder installed.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA

Some of this stuff is built into iTunes too...

I still care about my iTunes library, I gave Spotify/Rdio a try, but it's not for me.

And yeah, I have Fantastical too.

I would advise people against the bundle though, a lot of these apps have updates right around the corner. Remember, we're in the path of a new OS release.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I still like to own versus rent. I own my home, don't rent. I own my car, don't lease.

I agree with you on all of that (although I don't own my home - I'm currently renting an apartment but plan on moving into a home once my one year at my apartment is up).

But this isn't a matter of owning versus renting. This is being able to listen to any song you want, at any time, for free (with a short ad between every 3-5 tracks) versus only being able to listen to only songs that you have purchased. Spotify offers more value (every song in their library versus every song you buy) for what most people would consider a lower price (~1 second of ad per minute of track versus ~$1 per track... it's by no means an apples to apples comparison so each individual will have to decide what the conversion rate of time spent listening to ads to dollars are).

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I agree with you on all of that (although I don't own my home - I'm currently renting an apartment but plan on moving into a home once my one year at my apartment is up).

But this isn't a matter of owning versus renting. This is being able to listen to any song you want, at any time, for free (with a short ad between every 3-5 tracks) versus only being able to listen to only songs that you have purchased. Spotify offers more value (every song in their library versus every song you buy) for what most people would consider a lower price (~1 second of ad per minute of track versus ~$1 per track... it's by no means an apples to apples comparison so each individual will have to decide what the conversion rate of time spent listening to ads to dollars are).

Even if i agreed to all you say, it would be totally worthless in an airplane unless I pay to get wifi on the plane at some ridiculous price. It would be totally worthless if you are out camping in areas where cell service is not available. It would be worthless when on a cruise. It would be worthless when traveling abroad unless you could find a free wifi hotspot. My current library is about 12,000 songs and those are available to me in any of the situations I mentioned unless my device was damaged and that would be a problem either way. I have no issues with Spotify or iTunes Radio or Pandora or any other service to explore and listen in general, but there are still too many use-cases where owning is really the only option. And if you are a professional DJ trying to mix music in a club, well forgetaboutit.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Is Gemeni any good? I could use a dupe file finder, but I'm also skeptical of many tools like this

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Let's see...what's the big app most people buy it for this time... Parallels...no...Diskw...hmm

Aha, There it is! :D

Even if i agreed to all you say, it would be totally worthless in an airplane unless I pay to get wifi on the plane at some ridiculous price. It would be totally worthless if you are out camping in areas where cell service is not available. It would be worthless when on a cruise. It would be worthless when traveling abroad unless you could find a free wifi hotspot. My current library is about 12,000 songs and those are available to me in any of the situations I mentioned unless my device was damaged and that would be a problem either way. I have no issues with Spotify or iTunes Radio or Pandora or any other service to explore and listen in general, but there are still too many use-cases where owning is really the only option. And if you are a professional DJ trying to mix music in a club, well forgetaboutit.

I'm pretty sure Spotify Premium lets you listen to music offline, but don't quote me on that.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I used to love the idea of Bundles and bought some years ago. But for the most part they include too many novelty type apps I really don't need. And with the MAS it is easier to find good apps at good prices.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Is Gemeni any good? I could use a dupe file finder, but I'm also skeptical of many tools like this

I love Gemini. The great thing is that you choose which files you want to delete individually(The program also gives info on file type and file directory) or in groups, so there is no shady auto deleting like a cleaner program. It's purely manual, Gemini just does the work of finding duplicate files for you.

artfun

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2014

This.
Spotify all the way.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX

This whole discussion is moot anyway, since Spotify allows you to download music for offline use. I frequently use this feature while riding the subway and to save data on my favorite songs.

Also, I can't fit all my songs on my 16GB iPhone anyway.

Cassady

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
Sqornshellous
I've bought from StackSocial in the past and never had a problem. If your code doesn't work then I'm sure they will sort it out quickly for you.

Also bought from StackSocial before - but the only support email address I could see this time(?) round, was to the individual App developers. Pretty sure it will get sorted - although it has now been several hours without even acknowledgment of the email- but will wait it out until tomorrow.

All the others worked - been playing around with with Pathfinder's trial - it looks really useful, so want to get it sorted asap.

$8 for Fantastical, PF 6 and Flux 4 - pretty good bargain, imo.

On that point - who here has used Flux? Any good? Looks decent!

walkthruwalls

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2014
waters of Thailand
Great deal imho. Apps of note are Gemini, Fantastical and Path Finder. And if you're a dev or webpage designer, the $130 price tag of Flux4 alone is a big steal in this bundle. And the fact that a percentage of the money goes to charity, for the cost of a meal, I'd be happy supporting this.

isomorphic

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
a short ad between every 3-5 tracks

And there's your problem right there. I hate subscription TV for the same reason.

Spotify's $10/month (I presume ad-free) plan is just fine, but for the same reasons other posters have listed I'd prefer to own DRM-free, lossless-encoded, music in perpetuity rather than rent my music.

Also--how universal is Spotify's library? Does it have particular recordings of classical music? (There is a difference!) Bootlegs? Unauthorized covers? Multiple live version recordings? Crazy rare imported mixes once only on vinyl?

For the record, I have and enjoy iTunes Match (well, "90% match"). My only real gripe about iTunes Match (other than stability) is that I have more than 25,000 tracks, so iTunes sees only a subset of my library. Apple throws in iTunes Radio ad-free, but that's not really why I subscribe.

If Spotify were $25/year, like iTunes Match, I'd probably subscribe. At $120/year it's more than I want to pay.

Something tells me after the Beats acquisition, Apple will improve their subscription offerings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.