Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
... they have said before every single Mac Mini update since it was launched.

I don't know where this idea keeps coming from. It's a popular enough model, it fills an important role, and this thinning of inventory occurs in all Apple's product lines before an update. Why should this be any different?

My Mac Mini is the best Mac I've ever owned. Added a 256gb SSD. Maxed out the RAM. Faster than my previous 2011 27" iMac when rendering video out and quiet as a mouse until it gets really heavy workloads. This might be the first Mac I keep until it dies. This is my 5th Mac over the last 8 years (17" white iMac, 13" White MB, 15" MBP, 27" iMac, i7 Mac Mini)

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
The USD is also stronger. This is likely a price adjustment in that vein.

Other way round. Pound is getting stronger. $1.7 dollars = £1 now. Was $1.4 a year ago.

So they can drive sales and technically make the same amount of money.

----------

new apple tv better be coming!

I reckon Apple will being out ATV4 in september / october along with new 4K monitors in various sizes - say 28/32" and possibly 55" / 65" Versions.

The trick is they may have a docking port on the back for the ATV4 so it integrates perfectly.

This would be great for apple as they will shift TV/Monitors and a simple way to upgrade to ATV5/6 etc... People won't mind spending £100 each year or 2 to upgrade - but they will only shell out for a new TV / Monitor every 4-5

This with a Watch / Siri / The home automation stuff / in car etc will make Apple integration insane.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Apple’s getting rid of inventory. Mac Mini = Dead.

I agree with the first half - Apple is getting rid of inventory. But the meaning could also be that new updated hardware is coming. I think that we could anticipate that with the release on Yosemite, we could see a lot of new hardware. It is just a guess, but I just don't think your guess is right.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Other way round. Pound is getting stronger. $1.7 dollars = £1 now. Was $1.4 a year ago.

So they can drive sales and technically make the same amount of money.

----------

I reckon Apple will being out ATV4 in september / october along with new 4K monitors in various sizes - say 28/32" and possibly 55" / 65" Versions.

The trick is they may have a docking port on the back for the ATV4 so it integrates perfectly.

This would be great for apple as they will shift TV/Monitors and a simple way to upgrade to ATV5/6 etc... People won't mind spending £100 each year or 2 to upgrade - but they will only shell out for a new TV / Monitor every 4-5

This with a Watch / Siri / The home automation stuff / in car etc will make Apple integration insane.

I agree with everything you said minus the TV size monitor. They are not going to get into the TV market. Most of the manufactures realize it is not a very profitable business. The average household does not upgrade TVs every 4-5 years...more like 8-10.

ZeebUK

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2009
Birmingham UK
Mac Mini & Apple TV - love 'em

Don't care if they are a hobby or to be replaced!

My MacMini (basic version but with 8gb RAM) is used with a few extra hard drives as an iTunes server, running OSX Server to provide TimeCapsule and a caching services, and then some.

Apple TV - great - all my movies and music on my TV, had v2 plus current version. If another one arrives will get that too. Most of my home entertainment goes through it!

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I hope all Europeans take advantage of these amazing savings to buy these products.

I already own a late 2012 iMac. The iMac of today is almost identical to the machine I bought nearly 2 years ago.

A small CPU & GPU bump in that time does not constitute an upgrade. More to the point, my iMac should be good for a minimum of 5 years.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Lots of stores sell Apple TV, and I have NEVER seen it sell for more than 99€.

I bought mine for 79€ on sale at a large electronic retailer about a year ago. Just keep your eyes open.

same goes for the iPhone 5C. the 16GB one is cheaper than the 8GB in most stores besides the Apple Store

satyrica

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2011
Long Beach, CA
re: aTV

I guess it's safe to say this is to reduce inventory before releasing a new model...

But, where are all the indicators in the flurry of new iOS software, and 10.10
of a new model, and perhaps any specs?

It'd be nice to get some leaks of appleTV stuff now and then!

yangchewren

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
What other mac hasn’t been updated since 2012? ;)

Look at the 2007-2009 gap for updates on the mini. Apple tends to leave this model with an irregular update cycle - its fine, businesses or schools who need headless macs (as simple servers) will keep buying these older macs.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Mac Pro wasn't updated properly since 2010 and look what happened to that one?
Maybe they redesigned the mini as well.

If it is designed anything like the nMP, it'll wind up looking like a black roll of toilet paper. :p

schlaufox

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2013
In the UK, this puts the price down to £59.99 for a refurb Apple TV, which is pretty nice.

Enough to convince me to order one for the wait until a new version is released. Wonder how long they'll last.

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Is Mac Mini with OS X Server a $ 180 rip off? Why is it $200 more than a regular Mac Mini?

Can't you just buy a Mac Mini and buy OS X server for $20 from the App Store?

What is the value add?
I don't get it! :confused:

Mugambo

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2009
So finally Europeans will be paying what Americans have always been paying?

Apple's discounts are very loud jokes.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
I agree with everything you said minus the TV size monitor. They are not going to get into the TV market. Most of the manufactures realize it is not a very profitable business. The average household does not upgrade TVs every 4-5 years...more like 8-10.

I suppose an actual Screen is not needed at all. Just decent Remote Home automation. The problem with most homes is 10 remote controls.

Logitech Harmony is good but there is something lacking there. I still can't put my finger on what it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.