Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Developers who have installed the newest iOS 8 beta, the latest version of OS X Yosemite, and the current Apple TV beta, all released yesterday, have noticed a new pop up notification suggesting the Apple TV will gain some of the Continuity features Apple introduced during its Worldwide Developers Conference.

appletvcontinuity.jpg
As noted by 9to5Mac, the notifications are being received on Macs running on the same local WiFi network as Apple TVs that also have the newest software, suggesting at the least, that with Yosemite, Macs will be able to interact with the Apple TV in new ways.

It is unclear how Yosemite and the Apple TV might interact as any Continuity features between the two are not yet functional, but it is possible that a feature like Handoff could be used in conjunction with AirPlay, allowing a movie, TV show, or music to be seamlessly transferred from one device to another.

It's also possible the Apple TV could display notifications when a phone call is incoming to an iPhone, much like the Mac and the iPad are able to do. Call notifications and on-screen caller ID are not far-fetched, as some telecommunications providers that offer TV, Internet, and phone access are able to display caller information on screen.

Continuity features like Handoff appear to require Bluetooth 4.0, a feature that is only available in the third-generation Apple TV. Yesterday's update was only available for third-generation Apple TVs, providing more evidence that the device is likely to gain some Continuity features.

OS X Yosemite, the new Apple TV software, and iOS 8 are all expected to be released to the public in the fall after an extended beta testing period. Apple is also said to be working on an upgraded Apple TV set top box with new capabilities, which could also take advantage of Continuity features.

Article Link: Apple TV May Gain Deeper Integration With iOS and Macs via Continuity

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I'm very excited to see what input device the (potential) new Apple TV uses. Ever since reading reading Steve's bio a couple of years ago and getting to the "I finally cracked it" part, I'm interested in what Apple could produce that the multitudes of competition haven't already thought of.

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Could make for an embarrassing moment when taking a private call. People overhearing what you are saying on all your devices. :):eek:

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Reminds me of Googles Chromecast functionality and being able to 'cast' things .. Apple will probably just make it easy for developers to mirror their apps on the tv.. Hopefully not requiring an Internet connection too.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I can't imagine this means much. It will probably be like the new hotspot feature where your devices are automatically 'aware' of the Apple TV (as they are already) but will be able to instantly set up a connection between them and 'hand off' whatever your doing. Be it watching a TV show or a movie or listening to music. I imagine there will be a pop up on the TV or on the device which instantly pushes the streaming to the TV. Rather than you having to open control panel and select it e.t.c.

Of course, it could have bigger implications such as taking phone calls e.t.c.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Handoff would be nice. You could carry a movie from an Apple TV in one room to an Apple TV in another room on your phone and not have to stop watching it in the meantime. Of course, that would only be a cool feature if you were watching live TV…

Sign of things to come, maybe?

tdtran1025

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2011
All this hoopla about iOS8 is not as important as a new refresh of the device with A7 or A7X chipset that can do 4k. That said, I believe the new AppleTV won't be held back at $100 mark.
Meesage to Tim Cook: copy Bezo's model; absorb the front end profit so to make $ on the back end, such as from streaming and downloads. Also make the remote app more capable with search and hardware sound control.

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
It's also possible the Apple TV could display notifications when a phone call is incoming to an iPhone, much like the Mac and the iPad are able to do.

that's probably what it'll do, and if it won't, it should

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Reminds me of Googles Chromecast functionality and being able to 'cast' things .. Apple will probably just make it easy for developers to mirror their apps on the tv.. Hopefully not requiring an Internet connection too.

you are kidding right?
we have been able to do that with the apple tv way before the chromecast even existed.

Philotech

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2010
Equivalent to (Chrome-) Casting

I bet the main use of Continuity will be something very close to "casting" (in the meaning used by Google for Chromecast) from my Mac or iDevice to Apple TV. It's still cumbersome to get movie streams or whatever going on Apple TV, at least compared to doing the same on my iPad. Apple's remote has done a bit, but I hasn't really taken off I think. So impelemnting casting into Continuity appears to be a pretty obvious option and doesn't look too much like copying Google.

napabar

Suspended
Jun 12, 2008
Looking forward to this. Hopefully, I'll be able to find a way to use Continuity with my Mac 512k.

:D

----------

I bet the main use of Continuity will be something very close to "casting" (in the meaning used by Google for Chromecast) from my Mac or iDevice to Apple TV. It's still cumbersome to get movie streams or whatever going on Apple TV, at least compared to doing the same on my iPad. Apple's remote has done a bit, but I hasn't really taken off I think. So impelemnting casting into Continuity appears to be a pretty obvious option and doesn't look too much like copying Google.

Uh.....no.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Okay ... so Apple TV can use communicate with Macs over WiFi, meaning we will see hacks and jailbreak options for iPhones, iPads and Macs to use Continuity over WiFi.

W1LLmac

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2014
America's Finest City
Apple TV with Built-in Camera for Facetime and more?

I'm predicting the :apple: TV will include a built-in HD camera which will allow for Facetime and Kinect-like remote controlling. It would also be able to pair with an iOS device to take calls, etc.

BenGieCruz

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2012
Oklahoma
I'm predicting the :apple: TV will include a built-in HD camera which will allow for Facetime and Kinect-like remote controlling. It would also be able to pair with an iOS device to take calls, etc.

I hope not, my apple tv stays in a drwaer and a built in camera will do me no good... :confused:

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
I don't understand why Apple doesn't market Apple TV better. Why not include it free with every new iMac, macbook, iPhone, and iPad? Sure they lose $99 in the short run, but the money they will make in the long run will more than cover those costs.

millerlite

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
When?

I just want to know when they're going to announce this. I have a Gen 2 AppleTV and I suspect it's going to die soon. I don't want a Gen 3 in the meantime. So disappointed that it wasn't announced a few weeks ago. When's the next Apple event????

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.