Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
When Apple announces the first iPad mini and put the price up on the screen the stock took a nose dive. Same thing with the iPhone 5c. Amazon stock is up 3% today even though the phone isn't that cheap, no revolutionary/unique data pricing and locked to AT&T. I don't get it. Plus it seems there are very few features that are hardware specific. Even aspects of the Firefly feature already exist on the Amazon iOS app. What is the point of Amazon doing its own hardware when it's goal of getting more people to buy stuff from amazon.com can be accomplished via software?

jjmcpherson

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2013
Great news for consumer!!!! Competition is the best thing for us! Apple better steps up this Fall.

Last edited:

vertgo

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2006
Copying Apple

They totally stole the unnecessarily large bezel from the iPhone 6

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
All of the selling points, aside from low light performance on the camera, are features that do not intrigue me at all. And I don’t think it looks very good either. Besides that, I don’t really want my entire UI dictated by “how quickly can we sell this dude some stuff from the website?” so…

No thanks. But best of luck to you!

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Looks like a decent phone but $649 off contract is crazy expensive, seems like my Nexus 5 has a lot of advantages for about half the price.

And ATT only is a major deal breaker.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Looks like a solid entry by Amazon to me, this is great from a competition perspective. Definitely not an iPhone killer by any stretch of the imagination, but a reminder to Apple for the need to continue to innovate and not rest on their laurels if nothing else.

joneill55

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
More competition in the space good for Apple. Need to continue to innovate will drive IOS to newer and greater heights with greater market share.

"What does not kill me, makes me stronger."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
is it running the custom android rom they have on their kindle fires? i HATE it, i rooted my mums kindle fire hd but i still cant add wallpapers which makes the device look kinda depressing with all the black elements going on

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
It's the Nintendo of phones

Center a product around a single gimmick, see how long that lasts.

Yes the "3Dish" stuff is cool but every phone is going to do this in about 3 months and there is nothing behind this phone to make it competitive 6 months from now.

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012
So, will the people who use the flagship "virtual recognition program" be known as Browncoats? ;)

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
This is great APPLE news!

I'll be the first to say it: I don't care.

Personally, I'm glad to see some innovative progress from someone other than Apple. This is competition. Everyone wins here.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
iPhone 6S will have the same "dynamic perspective" feature next year, but unlike this phone it won't be a gimmick!

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-18 at 2.22.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-18 at 2.22.05 PM.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 97

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Dynamic perspective as a selling feature? Lot's of people turn on Accessibility:Reduce Motion in iOS 7 to disable of this type of effect... so they don't get seasick.

andrewpturko

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2012
Apple has always been the essence of a company that does few things and does them really well. Amazon making phones and tablets? - it doesn't make any sense. They're an online shop for everything, and the only hardware that ever made sense for them to make was the kindle due to their great ebook catalog. I don't know what they're doing in this market now, and quite frankly they should just be focusing on what amazon is truly about: ecommerce, not this crap. :)

macsforever

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2014
Nobody wants the entry level iPhone to only have 16GB anymore!

32GB minimum unless it's a low end phone.

-Kevin
WHY?
Have you heard about "cloud" computing???? Why would I need a 64 GB phone when I can have a 100GB cloud service? Every user is different, and I listen to raw audio, so I HAVE to go to the cloud in order to get what I want. If your an MP3 fan, 16 GB's can supply MORE than you can listen to on a commute.

Last edited:

FasterQuieter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
The Dynamic Perspective looked amazing to me, I don't understand all the negative comments on here. I think Apple may well be worried by this.

vertgo

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2006
recognition

iPhone 6S will have the same "dynamic perspective" feature next year, but unlike this phone it won't be a gimmick!

I'm a computer scientist who has spent a bit of time in the same visual recognition space as this. The work behind the face cameras is difficult, not easily reproducible. But the work behind firefly is just plain amazing. It works more usefully for amazon than apple (since apple only sells apple products, accesories, videos, music, and books, while amazon sells EVERYTHING)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Dynamic perspective (using one cam and/or gyros) already worked pretty well in various gimmicky iPhone apps going back years, not to mention iOS 7's depth layers. Added cameras might turn "pretty well" into "really well"... but what does it solve for you? And the image is still 2D, even if marketing videos and stills conceal the difference that would be blatant in person.

No harm done: if it's a gimmick that has no downside other than wasted space, it can be ignored if it doesn't take off. Kudos for trying something anyway.

I'd say the same if it were Apple: a gimmick, but harmless. Apple has some of those as well. (Photo Booth effects, anyone?)

As for Firefly, the uses are obvious: funnel shoppers toward Amazon! And I do like shopping on Amazon...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.