Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hattonna928

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2014
Because in Windows world, 4 years old technology still able to run Windows 8 perfectly and not losing major features being advertised.

Apple need to do a fine print on what machine eligible for hand off, otherwise they gonna face up roar from community when they noticing hand of isn't work properly.

That's because Windows doesn't usually add features that are dependent on hardware... Apple has been doing this for years.

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
Apple not implementing new features on all possible macs that could support it? This has NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE!!:eek:

Uh huh. It appears people have little faith in the hacking community and poor memories of apples recent and long-term history. Apple tends to cut off when the user experience gets below a certain threshold to protect itself from consumers who complain about everything.

If only there was a way to protect it from people who complain about products that aren't even launched...

this. 1000+ likes.

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
That's because Windows doesn't usually add features that are dependent on hardware... Apple has been doing this for years.

Can we interpreted as setting an arbitrary limitation on software based on hardware or they just saying new feature need new hardware in reality aren't? They probably can achieve same thing without going though all these craps. I mean when Yosemite goes to public and whenelple found out Hand Off isn't working on their "older Macs" Apple need lots of explanations.

hattonna928

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2014
Can we interpreted as setting an arbitrary limitation on software based on hardware or they just saying new feature need new hardware in reality aren't? They probably can achieve same thing without going though all these craps. I mean when Yosemite goes to public and whenelple found out Hand Off isn't working on their "older Macs" Apple need lots of explanations.

Older ones can work, you just have to spend $20 to update your bluetooth card. and it could work through wifi, they don't HAVE to use Bluetooth LE. BUT it would badly drain batteries in iOS devices which are already very reliant on battery life anyway. Bluetooth LE uses very little battery power which is why they decided to use it.

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
Does anyone know if IOS will be able to write an email from an iPhone and then go finish and send it from an iPad? or if an iPad can make calls like the Mac will be able to? Or is continuity only something for Macs only since most people would not have to upgrade their iPhones and iPads to use features like that? Will iOS ever have features like this too?

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
Older ones can work, you just have to spend $20 to update your bluetooth card. and it could work through wifi, they don't HAVE to use Bluetooth LE. BUT it would badly drain batteries in iOS devices which are already very reliant on battery life anyway. Bluetooth LE uses very little battery power which is why they decided to use it.

What? No. The article clearly says:

"In discussing the limitations for Handoff support, some MacRumors forum members suggested that adding an inexpensive third-party Bluetooth LE adapter to an older Mac might be enough to add support for the feature. Unfortunately, several forum members have discovered that this does not appear to be the case"

Emphasis added.

----------

Does anyone know if IOS will be able to write an email from an iPhone and then go finish and send it from an iPad? or if an iPad can make calls like the Mac will be able to? Or is continuity only something for Macs only since most people would not have to upgrade their iPhones and iPads to use features like that? Will iOS ever have features like this too?

For question #1 and #2, Yes and Yes. Your last 2 questions don't make sense.

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield

Preach it lol

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Smh. I guess Apple is looking for a way to force some people to upgrade. Oh well, my early 2011 isn't getting upgraded to a newer Mac anytime soon. With an SSD and upgraded ram, my baby is still fast and kicking it.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Smh. I guess Apple is looking for a way to force some people to upgrade. Oh well, my early 2011 isn't getting upgraded to a newer Mac anytime soon. With an SSD and upgraded ram, my baby is still fast and kicking it.

No they're not.

They just don't want self-entitled users (and believe me Apple users can be self-entitled) to come into the Genius bar expecting Apple to fix a Continuity problem because they installed a *insert random 3rd party dongle here* they got of ebay

Its a waste of time and resources.

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
It's not enough to stick the USB dongle in and check system preferences...

You have to tell OSX to use the external Bluetooth dongle as the main device. This is done in Terminal via the command:

sudo nvram bluetoothHostControllerSwitchBehavior="always"

I just ordered an iogear bluetooth 4.0 dongle from amazon, it uses the broadcom chipset. lets hope this works!

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
I've not got any iOS devices running the iOS 8 beta to test it at the moment, but my Mid 2011 Mac Mini is saying No to Bluetooth LE and Yes to Continuity...

This doesn't seem to make sense if Bluetooth LE is a continuity requirement or have I missed something?

Not sure why it says Bluetooth LE not supported, as your Mac Mini does indeed have Bluetooth 4.0 (LE), so you should be all set (and confirmed by the Yes to Continuity)

mko-io

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2014
It's not enough to stick the USB dongle in and check system preferences...

You have to tell OSX to use the external Bluetooth dongle as the main device. This is done in Terminal via the command:

sudo nvram bluetoothHostControllerSwitchBehavior="always"

Wow, This seems the solution, my isgear bluetooth dongle is on the way, anyone can try this?

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Awesome! Thanks for your input. I'll probably try and swap out the card once I have access to the public beta for Yosemite and then you can see whether the computer supports it. I have an iPhone 5S so it will work on that end. Now I just have to make sure to find the right card. A lot of websites (such as iFixit) list the cards from 2012 as compatible with previous models but they list a Bluetooth 2.1 card as the correct 2012 replacement which is obviously incorrect.

If anyone can get me the correct bluetooth card info for the mid 2012 15 inch MBP, i would really appreciate it!

A mid 2012 MBP should work just fine, you shouldn't need to change the card:

http://apfeleimer.de/2014/06/kein-continuity-airdrop-handsoff-fuer-ipad-2-und-aeltere-macs

[Edit] - Sorry, I meant to add the image... :eek:

osx-yosemite-bluetooth-4.0-le-apfeleimer.jpg

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Hmm... is it possible Apple never thought of that and hopefully now they will implement it? Things change over beta... hmm.

No that's not possible.

Been a mac user 20+ years. Apple artificially limiting devices through software (locking out older machines) is not new ....

Recent example is Trim support on SSD's. Only supported out of the box on Apple SSD's, but can be circumvented at least by a third party enabler.

Hopefully someone will develop a hack to unlock it however.

chhabramohit

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2014
My 2011 iMac is better than most PC desktops even today. I hope handoff finds a way into it.
But I am sure I can live without a feature I have never used before in my life and about which i didn't even know about a month ago.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
This is beta for a reason, file a bug.

I hope it's a bug. Maybe even if it isn't, they'll listen if everyone files it as one.

----------

Time to upgrade people!

More like time to not update to iOS 8 :rolleyes:
If Apple's going to leave my Mac out of the new features, I don't see why I would want iOS 8. Edit: Unless someone finds a workaround. Looks like someone has. I will consider my options later...

Last edited:

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Yes, the iPad was clocked faster than the iPhone 3GS, but it still had the same CPU and GPU but had 400% more pixels to push compared to the iPhone 3GS.

The iPad 1 struggled to run iOS 4 and iOS 5. Yes, it was killed early, but that is because the hardware just wasn't that great.

iPhone 3GS, Cortex-A8 @ 600 MHz, PowerVR SGX535, 256MB RAM, 480x320 = 153,600 pixels
iPad 1, Cortex-A8 @ 1000 MHz, PowerVR SGX535, 256MB RAM, 1024x768 = 786,432 pixels

What about the 3rd gen iPod touch?

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
[url=http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc176/Ian2TG/ScreenShot2014-06-18at233703_zps1c514905.png]Image[/URL]

My 2011 MacBook Pro 15 has a 2012 bluetooth/Airport card in it, as that was all I could get when I repaired it. I get this in System Profiler on 10.10 DP2, so it looks like some Macs will be somewhat upgradable hardware wise.

Interestingly I remember hacking Airdrop back on Lion on an upgraded 2006 iMac with a 2008 Airport card in (so I could have wireless n) it and that worked flawlessly!

Thanks for this information! I'll keep it in mind. What about using an external USB dongle, which would probably be cheaper?

----------

This is good to know, but the article refers to USB dongles, not internal cards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.