Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Construction at Apple's "Spaceship" campus in Cupertino is progressing at a rapid pace, and while the circular structure is still far from finished, the old buildings on the 176-acre site have been fully demolished, roadwork is underway, and the outer walls of the campus are taking shape, outlining where foundation will be poured.

Apple isn't slated to finish its the first construction phase of its second campus until 2016, but a video rendering from Technology Integration Services, a company that focuses on 3D design, shows what Apple Campus 2 might look like when it is completed.

Created from public plans of the structure's design, the video shows the multi-story circular building surrounded by greenery, as well as all of the additional buildings and parking structures that Apple plans to add to the area. There are hiking paths snaking around the property, in addition to a performance stage in the middle and a massive fountain area where employees can gather.

applecampus2progress.jpg
Current progress on Apple Campus 2 as of June 12, image courtesy of Ron Cervi
The first phase of construction on the property includes a 2.8 million square foot ring-shaped main building, an underground parking facility capable of holding 2,400 cars, a 100,000 square foot fitness center, and a 120,000 square foot auditorium for events. Apple has plans to add more than 4,500 trees to the area, creating a lush working environment for employees.

Phase 2 of construction, to take place after 2016, will add research and development buildings and additional parking.

Article Link: Apple's Spaceship Campus Shown Off in Rendered Fly-Through

Revearti

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2011
I need to get there now and camp out, so they build it around me! That's the only way I'll get access to the building!

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Quite the bold vision for the campus, can't wait to see the finished product. It may even warrant a trip down there and a tour!

polterbyte

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Brazil
Won't it take a very large amount of water on a very regular basis in order to keep all that green from dying out? Or is an environment like that self-sustained?

(I'm not dissing, just ignorant on the matter, looking for clarification)

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Dope! I love it! I really like the whole idea of the spaceship. Very futuristic look to it.

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
The parking structures look pretty far away from the building. Seems like a bit of an inconvenience.

rmanbike

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2009
Wonder what the per sqft construction costs will be, compared to a conventional building? I know Apple is ripe with cash now, but I have seen other corporations downfall start with this type of spending.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Won't it take a very large amount of water on a very regular basis in order to keep all that green from dying out? Or is an environment like that self-sustained?

They've done an extensive review of what it's going to take. They're planting thousands of native trees that actually are meant to be in the dry Cupertino environment, so watering isn't much of an issue. As for the grass, much of it will be grasslands so there will be large sections of un-manicured long grass growing as it normally would.

Apple's environmental report: http://www.cupertino.org/index.aspx?page=1178

They've gone whole hog on the environmental planning of this place, it's really something.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011

I am sure every last drop of grey water and rain water collected from the building will go towards ensuring this will happen. I'm sure it'll need a small green team to keep the grounds looking pristine.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
Now I'm dizzy.. Too bad that it's just a round and round around the round. I was hoping for some in-sight.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
It seems like it will take forever to get from point A to B.

Indeed, and is why buildings are not made this was as you want to be able to get from any point to any point in an easy manner. not walk all the way round a doughnut or across the middle when its pouring the rain.

Something strikes me about how Insular this all looks. Like a castle wall to keep others out, it does not give the feeling of openness, quite the opposite.

Like a castle / prison to keep people out.

As you would expect, it's done to be different.

I wonder how Apple would feel if the builders say.

"Ok Mr Apple, all done now, and glued closed on all the work"
"You won't be able to upgrade or change anything"
"If in a years time you want a part of it improved, we will sell you a new one"

:D

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Quite a fancy render. The 'garden' in the centre looks like it'll be really nice. Wish my work had something like that!

With a building that large, it'd take only slightly less than forever to get from from A to B if it were a square.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008

Indeed, and is why buildings are not made this was as you want to be able to get from any point to any point in an easy manner. not walk all the way round a doughnut or across the middle when its pouring the rain.

It's a mile around the outside of the building, so 10 minutes to walk to the opposite side of the circle around the outer circumference. Shorter if you walk around the inner part of the circle. Half that time if you walk across the courtyard.

Doesn't seem different than other places I've worked with a similar number of employees.

Something strikes me about how Insular this all looks. Like a castle wall to keep others out, it does not give the feeling of openness, quite the opposite.

Like a castle / prison to keep people out.

The walls are made of glass. :)

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Apple Uses Alien Technology

Anyone who does not think that Apple uses Alien or Extra Terrestrial Technology, the clues here are right there in front of you! It's a Space ship! :cool:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I get your point, but for the record this is locale seldom gets pouring rain. :p
Well, seldom would be an understatement in general, although there are certainly years (like this one) when it would apply. There are definitely more months out of the year when there is no rain, but there are still a number of rainy months (just depends year to year as to how much actual rain there is during those months). But, yes, I guess in the overall sense, it's probably not one of the main concerns.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.