Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The first alleged parts from the larger 5.5" iPhone 6 have been shared by 9to5Mac. The image shows the front and back of an LCD backlight panel that measures ~14 centimeters or ~5.5 inches diagonally.

iphone6-lcd-800x488.jpg
The site claims this represents a part for the 5.5" iPhone 6 which has been rumored to be launching later this year. Apple is also expected to produce a 4.7" model as well.

We've already seen some possible part leaks for the 4.7" model, but this is the first part leak for the 5.5" model. Reports had originally suggested the 5.5" model would be released after the initial 4.7" iPhone launch. More recently, however, we've heard that Apple may have solved whatever production challenges they ran into with the 5.5" model.

Possible parts for the 4.7" iPhone 6 model that have leaked include the front panel, batteries, rear shell and chassis molds. Meanwhile, the same LCD backlight for the 4.7" model was photographed in May. For comparison:

backpanel2.jpg
Alleged 4.7" iPhone LCD backlight
The 4.7" and 5.5" backlights share a similar design with each other and with the iPhone 5S LCD backlight. The data connector between the 4.7" and 5.5" models do seem different, however.

Article Link: First Leaked Display Part from the 5.5-Inch iPhone 6

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
WOW, that's great news! Can't wait (exchange my iPhone 4) for the new iPhone 6 to hit the market. As must have for the new OS X Yosemite & iOS8 combo! :D

iOSaddict

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2014
Before any discussion starts, let's remind ourselves that if you don't like it you don't have to buy it. ;)

Personally, I JUST CAN'T WAIT NO MORE !

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
this iphone will be bigger in dimensions than Note 3..so keep that in mind. I would loved a 5.5" iphone but not that big

hohohong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
4.7" screen first leaked on 23rd May.

5.5" leaks today. Almost 1 month later.

Hence, I predict 5.5" release will also be 1 month after 4.7" iPhone 6.

dumbthought

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2012
Sapphire and Split-view support

I would like the 5.5 inch to come with Sapphire and split view.

Also, when people will compare it with Note, questions around stylus (including any innovations around it), will be discussed a lot.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
The 4.7" and 5.5" backlights share a similar design with each other and with the iPhone 5S LCD backlight. The data connector between the 4.7" and 5.5" models do seem different, however.

This just in:

Parts for different models may be different from each other.

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
this iphone will be bigger in dimensions than Note 3..so keep that in mind. I would loved a 5.5" iphone but not that big

Probably not because it will be very thin. So actually it will be smaller/the same in dimensions/volume ;)

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
And I always thought that 3.5" was the perfect size for a phone... At least that's what EVERYBODY here has been saying for years. And then came the 4" iPhone. And now that Apple has finally decided to follow the competition, 5.5" is no longer "way too big"...

All that being said, Apple should cater to the wishes of folks like myself and release an iPad Mini that can make phone calls. I don't make many phone calls, but I use the mobile Internet very often, and I certainly don't want to carry two mobile gadgets with me. The iPad Mini has a wonderful form factor, I like that hardware very much. But it doesn't make much sense to buy such a device when you already own a 5.something" smartphone.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
I have no need for an iPad, other than a few user experience annoyances with iPhone (iBooks and Pages document editing) so a 5.5 inch iPhone would be fantastic.

This + MacBook Air (still to buy) would be perfect!

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
And I always thought that 3.5" was the perfect size for a phone... At least that's what EVERYBODY here has been saying for years. And then came the 4" iPhone. And now that Apple has finally decided to follow the competition, 5.5" is no longer "way too big"...

All that being said, Apple should cater to the wishes of folks like myself and release an iPad Mini that can make phone calls. I don't make many phone calls, but I use the mobile Internet very often, and I certainly don't want to carry two mobile gadgets with me. The iPad Mini has a wonderful form factor, I like that hardware very much. But it doesn't make much sense to buy such a device when you already own a 5.something" smartphone.
No, it's still stupidly large. Most of us are just sitting here in shock, mouth agape.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
The Note 3 is actually a decent size. The iPhone 5.5 won't be as wide as the Note 3 and as has already been mentioned it will also be thinner. I would go as far as saying that the iPhone 5.5 would be easier to handle than the Note 3.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

When the iPhone was first released, 3.5" was the perfect size for a phone. However after mobile gaming and browsing really took off, there was definitely a need for a larger screen to appreciate and utilise more content.

Regrettably Apple's defiance and insistence that the one-handed use of a phone is imperative will give the haters quite a lot of ammunition once Apple do release a larger screen with their next phone. Nonetheless they are making the right move and although it's potentially a couple of years too late, they're not yet in a position where it's too little, too late -- as arguably it is with RIM.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
And suddenly, one hand use became useless, as Apple fans around the world supported Apple's decision to sell a bigger iPhone than ever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.