Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Hey all. The fond memory of the chirping sound in the old PMs is still strong in my mind. I was curious as to if the new PMs had the chirping sound as well? Has anyone with a dual core 2.0 or higher experience the annoying high pitch chirp that was so common in the older G5 Dual Processor PowerMacs? Thanks!

-Chris

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
I'd be curious to find if they're in the new G5s or not. My guess is no too.

SonComet

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2004
I'm very interested to know an answer to this aswell. The chirping is really annoying.

Here's the thing though. I can hear the chirping on every single dual processor G5 in each of the 3 apple stores I frequent and at frys. But I haven't been able to hear it at all on the few dual core models I've looked at. I don't know if the chirping is just more quiet on the DC models or completely gone. Completely gone would be nice.

Is there any fix for the chirping in the dual processor G5s? Or is it just inherent to them. Should I just disable nap mode to get rid of the chirp/beep/whine?

This isn't just an early G5 problem. It's on all of the old DP models. Apple told me that it was just the way it was and that I should sell my G5 if I wanted to get rid of the chirp. Granted the chirp is quiet enough to where my dad can't hear it at all, so it's not a universal problem. But it still is a problem for my much younger ears, heh.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
Yup... all PMs suffer from the chirping... Welcome to the club. It started when Tiger came out. Panther originally had the problem, then it was fixed.

Apple's discussions section has a huge thread about it. The best recommendation is to set your performance to automatic. Some people recommend disabling CHUD, but I wouldn't recommend that

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
epepper9 said:
Chirping??? I hear no such noise on my DP 2.0. :confused:

It's there at some level. Some people's environments are too noisy to hear it. (Or the tower is too far away). The easiest way to get your PM chirping is in iMovie. Use the "far far away" title style. It should chirp like crazy.

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
yeah I have a dual 2.0 from the April 2005 revision and the chirping is definitely there. I just run folding@home all day to shut it up ;)

RobHague

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005
No 'chirping' on the DC 2.3 either. The problem has been fixed, the power supplies are different.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I hear it when I type from time to time. I asked about it, no one really had an answer I think.

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
I disabled nap when I got my G5 and never hear it ever. I feel this is the problem.

The G5 has no real power down mode so the power is cut from the power supply to reduce the G5s power intake. Now this is a shortcut from apple to reduce the fan noise and G5 power comsumption but it is not a true power reduction from the processor. So the power supply has to supply momentary power surges (chirps) to keep it going. That is why when you are taxing the cpu it is gone or when you disable nap it goes away. The G5 is just not a power down chip. Now the new dual core chips have this ability hence the lack of chirp.

That is my conclusion. I could be wrong but I have never heard another hypothesis on the matter.

Disable nap. I have had my machine for a long time and have never had a problem.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
RobHague said:
No 'chirping' on the DC 2.3 either. The problem has been fixed, the power supplies are different.

Good to know :) Apple has admitted that the chirping sound is pretty much standard on all dual processor PowerMacs when running Tiger. I have a dual 1.8 and that thing is silent as a mouse in Panther but chirps away in WoW with Tiger on it. I just put Panther back on it as I don't really need anything from Tiger anyways. I am glad to hear they finally fixed that in the new machines. I also imagine a fix in on the way in an upcoming version of Tiger.

Rob0711

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2005
Germany
just listen closely... as far as i know all of them make some noise...
mine has a beeping sound coming from the psu most of the time, as well as the usual whine when the gpu gets powered up. it´s not that loud but annoying anyway... yet the older ones were louder as far as i can tell (i´m sitting in front of a dual 2.0 of the previous generation)

SonComet

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2004
Well, since I can't really afford to buy a new DC 2.0 G5 to replace my pretty much brand new DP 2.0 one, I am gonna try the CHUD fix and see how it affects my temperatures. Hopefully the the difference in temperatures isn't big and I won't have to ebay the G5 (the sounds aren't that major, they just annoy me like a dead pixel would).

I'll let you guys know how it goes, whenever I get the G5 back that is. I bought the computer 3 weeks ago, and used it for 3 days before bringing it into the apple store over this problem. While telling me that it wasn't a problem and that it was universal they scratched the case, so now that's getting replaced. So I should have it back later this week to test it.

Monyx

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2005
Australia
My DC 2.3 noises are almost imperceptable, I would agree the chirp problem no longer exists - there is very slight noise but certainly not objectionable and perfectly normal - by comparison I would not describe the chirping on a 2Ghz PCI-X I tried before this machine as 'normal'.

Also fans do not operate as much as on a 2Ghz PCI-X I tried before this new machine. The PCI-X had huge amount of noise on analgoe-out into an amp, the DC is fine, like my old G4DP so there were problems with the PCI-X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.