Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
Once someone's purchased the product I don't think they need anything else to remind them that they own a Product RED device. The branding on packaging and advertising is sufficient as it is in my opinion.

Ah, I'm sorry, I didn't make it clear... I agree with Apple's stance on the issue. I just don't think calling Bono an idiot and his point has no merit was the fairest summary of how things went down. :)

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
What Bono doesn't realize is that Apple users generally don't like huge logos splashed all over their products. Having that logo prominently placed on their device or accessory would result in lower sales, not higher. I have the red iPad Smart Case (which I love) and I know I wouldn't have purchased it with a giant logo.

Nope, no large glowing logo to see here. Does not exist on Apple products.

MacbookPro-5.jpg

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
What Bono doesn't realize is that Apple users generally don't like huge logos splashed all over their products. Having that logo prominently placed on their device or accessory would result in lower sales, not higher. I have the red iPad Smart Case (which I love) and I know I wouldn't have purchased it with a giant logo.

I'm very anti logo unless I am promoting my school, company I work for or something I really believe in.

----------

Slay....

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
This is the sort of thing that would turn me away from buying more product red. I'm paying for the donation to the cause, not to advertise the cause with a logo to show I support their cause. Is Apple not making them enough money? If that's not the case, don't bitch about it.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Dear Bono,

what's more important? Apple selling a lot less (RED) products because of the ugly logo, or selling more (RED) products and thus giving more money to the cause?

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007

WTF are you on? Are you blind? Do you not notice the hideous huge Apple Logo all over things?

ryansimmons323

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Ah, I'm sorry, I didn't make it clear... I agree with Apple's stance on the issue. I just don't think calling Bono an idiot and his point has no merit was the fairest summary of how things went down. :)

I didn't call him an idiot, but I know some others here are, and with regards to what you say about them, I agree with you, he certainly isn't an idiot.

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
I don't think taste has anything to do with being a religious cult.
Do you suppose Bono has a (RED) bumper sticker on his car?

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
Is putting a (RED) logo on it really going to do anything? The name and logo don't exactly explain what the organization is.

WTF are you on? Are you blind? Do you not notice the hideous huge Apple Logo all over things?

Maybe the person meant to say non-Apple logos, in which case, the sentiment is pretty true.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

I knew as soon as I posted that people would bring that up. First of all, it's not hideous. It's one of the simplest logos you will ever see. Secondly I qualified that with Apple users, who generally like Apple things. Thirdly, and perhaps most importantly, the Apple logo is usually facing away from the user during use. It's on the back of your iPad, the back of your iPhone, the back of your iPod, the back of your MacbBook Air/Pro, and the back of your Mac Pro. The only exceptions are the front of the iMac where a tiny logo is dwarfed by a huge screen, and the Mac Mini where it's on the top. Bono wanted a huge product red logo on the front. Where does Apple put it? Where people won't be staring at it constantly. And yes, they stuck their own logo on the back of that same smart cover and NOT on the front.

This is in direct contrast to many other companies. Steve Jobs was insistent with Cingular that they couldn't stick their logo on the front of the iPhone. Up until then every phone was like that. Today there are still many phones like that with big Verizon logos on the front. It's ridiculous.

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
HIV/AIDS is terrible, but it's not the only thing out in the world hurting people. We could put parenthesis on an iPhone, along with a pink ribbon, a peace symbol, and half a dozen other logos, and some people would still think it isn't enough. I think what U2 is saying is the money isn't enough, they want free advertising on Apple products. Maybe what they should do first is go to all the other companies that don't have RED products and try to get them on board, rather than shame a huge donor.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Bono requested something that Saint Steve didn't agree with therefore he's an idiot. Got it.

Watch the video folks. His comment about wanting to shove Steve's phone up his [you know what] was actually quite funny, and even Ive laughed.

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Product Red can be better by not existing

First, both Apple and Bono can simply both donate $70 million in pocket change to any charity they want, so arguing about a gimmick like (Product) Red just makes them both look like *******s.

Second, Apple can do more for (Product) Red by ending the relationship and instead just donating $1 for every device sold and ask people at checkout which of, say, 10 noble charities they would like that $1 to go towards. Heck why not give $10 of Apple's excessive profit margin per device away to charities. Why ask consumers to buy a specific version of only a few specific products when the company can part with far more money to charity otherwise.

I think Apple could generate far more than $70 million for AIDS research, but also generate a heck of a lot of revenue to other charities, you know, maybe like cancer research?

It would be nice for Apple to become a little more openly charitable in general rather than relying on gimmicky product tie-ins for a color of a product nobody really wants.

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
Bono requested something that Saint Steve didn't agree with therefore he's an idiot. Got it.

Watch the video folks. His comment about wanting to shove Steve's phone up his [you know what] was actually quite funny, and even Ive laughed.

He even got a wink in on how bulky phones used to be with that gag. :)

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
My mother thinks Bono is a spy. She say she has unprecedented access to anywhere in the world and to nearly any world leader. I think she's nuts.

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
Bono, the same jerk who is promoting Monsanto GMOs around the world so that everyone can be poisoned like we are?
Bono is a moron

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Tell Bono to shut up and put out the album already, waiting over 5 years since the last one.
People still wait for that?
It's important enough for Bono to argue about it, and it was important enough for Jobs to not put it there.

People disagree, but it's always unseemly to argue with the dead.

My initial thought was how incredibly lame Bono is for bringing up some argument nearly 3 years after someone's death. It seems stupid to me.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Dear Bono,

what's more important? Apple selling a lot less (RED) products because of the ugly logo, or selling more (RED) products and thus giving more money to the cause?

But it's also about raising awareness, so one sale hopefully generates more sales through visibility of the (RED) logo. It's the basic principal of branding - get your customers to do your advertising for you.

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
He is not an idiot because he disagrees with Steve jobs or apple.

He is an idiot because he does not realize that putting logos everywhere simply is not in apple culture and neither does it match with the taste of their customers.

Their trying to contribute to charity but within the realms of their Dna.
Also isn't it kind of bonks fault that he can't communicate that all red apple products are for charity. He is complaining about the lack of marketing while they actually paint it over the whole device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.