Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft today announced that it will provide up to $650 in store credit for select MacBook Air models, in an effort to get MacBook Air owners to switch to the company's new Surface Pro 3, which it claims has the "power of a laptop in a lightweight, versatile form." Trade-ins must be conducted within a Microsoft retail store.

First announced in May, the Surface Pro 3 offers a 12-inch display, a thin design, Core i3, i5, or i7 processors and a new Surface Pen stylus with 256 levels of pressure sensitivity, aiming to compete with Apple's ultra thin MacBook Air. Previous Surface tablets were designed to take on Apple's line of tablets, but Microsoft is poising its newest version as a MacBook Air competitor.

microsofttradein.jpg
The entry-level Core i3 Surface Pro 3 retails for $799, with improved versions sporting a Core i5 and Core i7 processor available at prices between $999 and $1949. With the discount for turning in a MacBook Air, customers could pay just $150 for an entry-level model.

According to the terms of the deal, trade-in values may vary, which suggests that only good-condition current-generation MacBook Airs will be eligible for the full $650 credit. It is not clear how much Microsoft is offering for older models at this time.

MacBook Airs eligible for trade-in must power on and be in working condition. Water-damaged devices and those with cracked screens may not be traded in. A purchase of the Surface Pro 3 is also required to get the maximum trade in value, and Microsoft plans to run this deal through the end of July.

Article Link: Microsoft Offers MacBook Air Owners $650 Trade-In Value Towards Surface Pro 3

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
God that's desperate. It must be really really good. Practically pays for itself... If you've got something of greater value to trade for it lol..

infernohellion

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2006
København
At launch, Microsoft did say that the Surface Pro 3 is a perfect replacement for those who carry both an iPad and a MacBook Air. I was really considering getting it until I found out there was no support for 3G/LTE connection.

Not at all a replacement for both devices. #bye

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
No thanks. My MacBook Air is worth way more to me than $650, and Surface tablets are worth way, way less to me than what they want people to pay for them.

Even someone who is seriously considering switching platforms is better served by eBaying or otherwise selling their MBA. They'll get a LOT more for it that way.

xizdun

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
What I'm more curious in knowing is what they do with the traded-in MacBook Airs. They can't possibly be reselling them, even for parts?

lukeg01

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2014
let me guess, microsoft finds it a great deal. they just need MacBooks just like they robbed a windows facility and stole ipads.... they really are desperate

l

Mac-Mac-McAfee

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2012
April Fools?

Worst. Promo. Ever.

Maybe MicroShaft should do a ScamScum and do 2-for-1 on the Turdface. That'll boost sales by 2.

Last edited:

QuadG5Man

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2014
What a horrible idea for a marketing campaign. Microsoft is really reaching if this is any indication. Ouch. Maybe they only need 5-10 Macbook Airs traded in. :confused:

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
This is c-r-a-p-p-y stuff! It doesn't make sense for me!

You should try it, if you live near a Microsoft Store, before you call it crappy. I've tried it and I found it to be an excellent machine. It is very smooth and responsive. The resolution is out of this world compared to the Air. Just saying...

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Interesting

I'm trying to think of a way that MS can spin this positively and coming up empty.

On the other hand, credit to them for trying something well outside of their normal box.

I just don't think it quite works, like it is trying to be too many things to too many people. I find myself agreeing more with the general idea that tablets are more for content consumption and computers for creation (understanding that there's always overlap).

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
let me guess, microsoft finds it a great deal. they just need MacBooks just like they robbed a windows facility and stole ipads.... they really are desperate

l

Well, when sales are down one does what one can to generate business. Call it desperation or whatever. The problem for Microsoft is PC sales are down industry wide. Competition on the PC side is greater than on the Mac side. Sony, Samsung, Acer, etc., all have their version of the Surface Pro. So, its not the Surface Pro its the competition in a down market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.