Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
If they did something similar to the deal where Target gave $200 to people with nearly useless iPad1's then ok.. But no way people are trading a good condition Air for a Surface at $650.

It's just marketing.

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Not a bad idea. Probably could use that saved $650 for anti-malware software.. :D

tlevier

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Littleton, CO
I really would like to know who would take up this offer?

I'm not saying that the Surface Pro 3 is a bad product or anything, but I can't imagine that the MacBook Air is the product that MS imagines the SP3 replacing.

I'm your typical user who doesn't use the computer for anything remotely close to what it's capable of - but I still can't fathom the idea of scrapping a computer and going solely with a tablet.

Perhaps my perception is off though? My greatest concern is losing a machine that can run *anything* created by the hobbyist software developers out there. There are still sites that try to force a mobile experience on tablets and phones when the full web experience is what I want. I don't need a large screen, 13" is perfect for me...but to go with a sub 10" screen as my go-to machine when something fast and furious is happening? I don't think so.

I would use a tablet to peruse calmly and patiently tidbits of the internet. But when I need to "go to war" - I pull out a bonafide computer.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
You should try it, if you live near a Microsoft Store, before you call it crappy. I've tried it and I found it to be an excellent machine. It is very smooth and responsive. The resolution is out of this world compared to the Air. Just saying...

I've used it and think it's a POS. Microsoft don't have the vision to see something through, and think about optimising the user input for an OS. Windows 8, bless its bastardised soul, is neither optimised for touch nor a mouse and keyboard. It does both without excelling at either. Sometimes, less is more -- and though Surface fans tout the power that their touchscreen hybrid boasts, it's never going to be as good an experience on touch as an iPad -- and never as good a mouse/keyboard experience than OS X.

And yeah, it's got a high-resolution screen. The Air doesn't. But that's not really an argument for why people would use the Surface, as its main purpose is to be an excellent touchscreen Windows machine. In that, it fails.

Last edited:

Starshadow

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
If they did something similar to the deal where Target gave $200 to people with nearly useless iPad1's then ok.. But no way people are trading a good condition Air for a Surface at $650.

It's just marketing.

And the sad part is, its marketing Apples product by mentioning it and reminding people it exists.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
Anyone know if I can trade in a 2011 MBA in like-new condition for the $650? There on no real details on the deal on Microsoft's promotion page.

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
but I still can't fathom the idea of scrapping a computer and going solely with a tablet.
Despite what their marketers might have previously been pushing, the Surface Pro 3 is not a tablet. It is a touchscreen laptop. This is why it legitimately competes with the MacBook Air.

It doesn't really compete with the iPad, not if you actually value the qualities of a device which truly make it a tablet.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Wow, making it almost as cheap as buying Windows 8.1 for $95 and Boot Camping, and you end up with super-thick, awkward tablet AND a laptop with terrible keyboard that won't run Mac apps! Sign me up!

This woud be an expensive lesson for someone to learn :eek: But an important one.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
I really would like to know who would take up this offer?

I'm not saying that the Surface Pro 3 is a bad product or anything, but I can't imagine that the MacBook Air is the product that MS imagines the SP3 replacing.

I'm your typical user who doesn't use the computer for anything remotely close to what it's capable of - but I still can't fathom the idea of scrapping a computer and going solely with a tablet.

Perhaps my perception is off though? My greatest concern is losing a machine that can run *anything* created by the hobbyist software developers out there. There are still sites that try to force a mobile experience on tablets and phones when the full web experience is what I want. I don't need a large screen, 13" is perfect for me...but to go with a sub 10" screen as my go-to machine when something fast and furious is happening? I don't think so.

I would use a tablet to peruse calmly and patiently tidbits of the internet. But when I need to "go to war" - I pull out a bonafide computer.

I'm going to look at it. My 2011 MBA is in great condition (it's only left my house 4 times since I've owned it). It's so loaded with PC centric software that it's basically a glorified PC. It's not necessary for business so it's just another of the multitude of PC's, laptops, and other tech stuff in my house. Of course, I would have to test drive the SP3 first to see if I actually like it, but if I could get $500 for my MBA and add another $500 in cash, the SP3 could be a viable option for me. I'm not locked into any ecosystem and I like tech for tech's sake. MS and Apple are just names on a box to me. How does the product fit into my life. That's important.

Last edited:

durvivor

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
I've fought with MicrosoftStore over "promotions" like this in the past. They are not a promotion, just an ad for their trade-in service. Sadly, it works because MacRumors, Gizmodo, Slickdeals are all talking about it as if its a fantastic sale.

A couple of months ago they were promising "up to" $200 for any old Nokia cell phone when you bought a new Nokia 1520 or such. I challenged them to show me one... one single phone that qualified for $200 and they never could. I brought them my Nokia 520 to trade-in. My instore offer was $2.15.

I don't think that its right, why not say we pay "up to a million dollars" its not necessarily a lie, but its also not the truth.

Microsoft uses CExchange you can lookup what your trade in value will most likely be here : http://crutchfield.cexchange.com (sorry, MS does not expose an url)

Here are some examples:

MacBook Air A1465 MD223LL/A 11" Core i5 1.7GHz 128GB = $289

MacBook Air A1466 MD761LL/B 13.3" Core i5 1.3GHz 256GB = 274.50

Apple MacBook Air A1466 MD232LL/A 13" Core i7 2GHz 512GB = $500

Renzatic

Suspended
I'm trying to think of a way that MS can spin this positively and coming up empty.

Just think of it as Sony offering trade-in deals on Xboxes for PS4s. You've got two competing products in the same field, one company wants you to use their stuff over the others, so they're giving you an enticing deal to make you more deeply consider it.

It's not desperation. It's just marketing.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Trade in my laptop for a thing that doesn’t know what it is (and cannot be held on the lap)? Hmm…

Thares

Cancelled
Feb 25, 2011
The problem with the surface is that it's dumb.

I wouldn't be so harsh. I think it'd be really interesting if it would just run a version of OS X / iOS mashup thing. The idea behind the Surface is really, really cool. But it just runs Windows.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
You should try it, if you live near a Microsoft Store, before you call it crappy. I've tried it and I found it to be an excellent machine. It is very smooth and responsive. The resolution is out of this world compared to the Air. Just saying...

Ok. I've been in the store in the Walden Galleria in Western, NY many times (it's across from the Apple Store.)

Never more than a few adults. 1 or 2 people looking at portable WIN 8 plastic.

The rest are kids playing with the Xbox . :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.