Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ahead of iOS 8 and the release of several new products later this year that will likely take advantage of Siri, Apple may be planning to bolster the virtual assistant with a range of new and improved languages.

Apple has posted several different job listings for Siri Language Engineers that are "highly motivated and an "expert in foreign languages with strong software development skills." According to the listings, posted largely between June 10 and June 19, Apple is seeking engineers fluent in Japanese, Norwegian, Turkish, Danish, Australian English, Arabic, Brazilian Portuguese, Swedish, Dutch, Thai, Russian, British English, and Cantonese. Emphasized languages above are not currently supported by Siri.
Come and join the team that teaches Siri how to understand and speak new languages. We are an extremely diverse and passionate group dedicated to bringing the future of intelligent assistants to the world.
Each position's responsibilities include tasks like developing natural language processing code specific to each language, providing suggestions towards new product features tailored to home markets, and daily interactions with other teams at Apple. Along with fluency in the target language, applicants are expected to have a proven track record delivering product-quality code as well as iOS or OS X development skills and proficiency with Java, perl, and shell scripting.

Apple has previously made several language related hires for its Siri team, recruiting a number of Cloud Services Engineering Interns fluent in a range of languages back in 2012 to work on support for additional languages for the service.

sirilanguages.jpg
At the current time, Siri understands and speaks English (US, UK, Australia, Canada), Spanish (US, Spain, Mexico), Chinese (China-Mandarin, Hong Kong-Cantonese, Taiwan-Mandarin), French (France, Canada, Switzerland), German (Germany, Switzerland), Japanese (Japan), Italian (Italy, Switzerland), and Korean (Korea).

While the current version of iOS 8 available to developers does not add any additional language capabilities to Siri, it is possible that a Siri expansion is on the horizon for a later version of iOS 8, perhaps iOS 8.1, or iOS 9.

iOS 8, to be released to the public in the fall, does, however, feature a number of other Siri improvements including hands-free "Hey Siri" voice activation, Shazam integration, streaming voice recognition, and the ability to open the App Store.

Article Link: Apple Hiring Siri Engineers for Additional Language Support

Erastopic

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2014
Norway
Aw man! Please make Siri speak Norwegian :cool: It sounds so silly talking to Siri in English here in Norway :(

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Siri will now be able to misunderstand you in more languages than ever before!

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Arabic

Would be interesting to see how they can pull Arabic off (one of the hardest languages to master). Will Siri speak classic Arabic or use a dialect? :D

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
I would love a bilingual Siri... Sometimes I need to search for things in French, sometimes in English...

Serves me right to be fluent in two languages....

I could live with a "switch to language" command, but doesn't seem to work

sergey19

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2010

ahlsn

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2013

Kleber20

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2013
I wonder if they will ever make Siri to learn all the different dialects that are spoken on South America - the meaning word in those countries varies in the country you are and also it's said on different pronunciations! :)

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
Yea it's a little rough still

for directions for apples apps, siri is fantastic ( Calendar, iMessage etc.) but if you ask a question such as siri whats a the best sushi place around here, she just does a search. If they could make it so she looks for sushi restaurants, finds the highest rated one, and puts that back out, it would have use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.