Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Withings today unveiled a stylish new fitness tracker, the Activité, which bundles activity tracking capabilities into a traditional-style watch. Unlike smart watch and fitness band offerings from companies like Samsung, Pebble, Nike, and more, the new Activité features a round, analog watch face protected by sapphire glass and attached to a leather band.

Inside, the watch includes sensors that track steps taken and sleep quality, also helping users to calculate calories burned. An included secondary dial tracks a user defined metric, such as distance walked or calories burned. The Activité wirelessly connects to the accompanying Withings Health Mate app using Bluetooth LE.

withingsactivite.jpg
In an interview with WIRED, Withings chief marketing officer Julien De Preaumont said the company's mission with the Activité was to have an impact on health with a design people like.
"Our mission is to have an impact on health," Julien De Preaumont, CMO at Withings, tells WIRED. "That requires devices that we'll use in the long term." The Activité is so pared down, the design borders on obvious: "Let's use the design of a classic watch that we know people like," De Preaumont says.
Because of its simple design and its limited tracking abilities, the Activité is powered by a traditional watch battery with a charge that lasts up to a year, a far more impressive battery life than many of its competitors.

Withings has an existing fitness tracker, the Pulse 02, along with several other health and fitness related products, including its line of smart scales, a baby monitor, a blood pressure monitor, and an upcoming sleep tracking system, the Aura.

Available in two separate color varieties, black and silver, the Withings Activité will ship this fall for $390.

Article Link: Withings Debuts 'Activité' Fitness Tracker With Traditional Watch Design

LeoNobilis

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2006
The Netherlands
CONs: Too expensive. Leather.

$390??? A ridiculous price for an activity tracker! Also, the more morally elevated users don't like to wear leather. What have you to say on this, Withings?

surfingarbo

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
If there wasn't a rumour or two on the iWatch, I would probably buy this in the Fall.

I can say however that I bought the Withings Smart Body Analyzer (weighing scales) last week, and I highly recommend it. Will be eventually even cooler with iOS 8 Health integration.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Oh, God, if you haven't seen it already, watch the video on their site. They out Apple'd Apple! :eek:

Last edited:

Surreal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
$400 and no pulse monitoring.

I am disappointed. I am probably not the target demographic but I am disappointed nonetheless. Why is this not a normal feature yet?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
It's a watch for people interested in bragging numbers and rights and not so much a fitness tracker.

I hate these products. There seems to be more and more of them coming out. There are even apps coming out that are of a similar thought - Statistics logging over actual use.

It's nice enough for people who just want a watch, and the tracking is just a small plus.

And no, this is absolutely no good for those that really benefit from a tracker, but it's not marketed towards that crowd to begin with.

I expected better from Withings. But I also think these health trackers are getting to the point where companies focus too much on making everyone happy because they want EVERYONE to want to buy it.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
As far as health tracking smart watches go, this seems pretty good to me.

But I don't care, and I don't think many other people care, about tracking their health. I seriously doubt this is a killer feature that will move products. If it was, Apple would have focused more on the debut of HealthKit, but they didn't. They mentioned it briefly and moved on to other, more interesting things.

It could be a world changing product if you get everyone wearing one, maybe - maybe it could provide all sorts of important data to doctors worldwide, detect cancer or other health problems in time to stop it, but I think you need features that are of more immediate use to people before they'll buy a product with long term uses like that.

RolyPolyBird

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010
Oh, God, if you haven't seen it already, watch the video on their site. They out Apple Apple! :eek:

Go look at their earlier marketing videos, extremely creepy and cringe worthy stuff.

Also for Arn and co, is this a paid advertisement? I clicked on the link and it flashed to a redirect URL containing the word "partner". Seems odd when there was no mention of a financial relationship.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Nice. Much better than the nerdy fitness bands or Pebble watches. And they picked a simple, elegant watch design too.

Note that it doesn't even have a winder button. Apparently it gets the time from the Internet via the Bluetooth-connected smartphone.

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
Wow that's very classy looking. It's a bit steep, but there are plenty of watches that price (as long as the quality corresponds). It doesn't scream FITNESS like most of the Utrecht offerings do!

yourtoys7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
All this covers is buss people as per their advertising, everyone else.... Wait for more Casual/ Rouget watch to come...
How long does the battery last?

----------

Now if Casio can do similar in G-Shock for under 100. I'll be all over them.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Nice. Much better than the nerdy fitness bands

Only if you don't really intend to do much fitness. Very impractical except maybe to measure steps to the office Keurig machine and back. Of course the aerobic value of that is nill.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
If you think they've out Apple'd Apple, then you don't get Apple.

Please, don't tell me whether or not I "get" Apple. You've already broken Apple Club's first rule: don't use the word Apple three times in a single sentence. :cool:

Psssst, I was attempting to invoke the caricature of Apple that exists in most peoples' minds which, when taken to its logical extreme, would look a hell of a lot like this company.

Where is it? I can't find the video from my phone.

I couldn't find it on my iProduct; you'll have to view it from a desktop browser.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.