Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Both the 4.7 and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 models are set to go into production next month, according to Bloomberg, and Apple may launch both sizes of the new device at the same time.

iphone6.jpg
Apple is ramping up on two bigger-screen iPhones, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the plans are private. One model will have a 4.7-inch screen that may be available to ship to retailers around September, said two of the people. A larger 5.5-inch version is also being prepared for manufacturing and may be available at the same time, the people said.
Previously, reports indicated that issues with battery life and display technology for the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 may have caused Apple to delay the release of the larger version of the phone a couple months after the release of the 4.7-inch model. However, a report earlier this month said that Apple had solved the battery issues, though it wasn't apparent whether the 5.5-inch model would launch at the same time as the 4.7-inch model.

Apple and its manufacturing partners have been ramping up for the launch of new iOS devices later this year, with Foxconn hiring a record new 100,000 employees to help assemble iPhone 6. Pegatron is also set to assist in the production of the new iPhones, with reports claiming Pegatron's production share could be as little as 15% to as large as 50%.

Stock of the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 is likely to be lower than the 4.7-inch model, mostly due to the more complex manufacturing of the phone and the need for an increase in production efficiency for the device before the manufacturing volume for it can be increased.

Article Link: 4.7-Inch and 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 May Launch Simultaneously

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Can your outdated mockup at least include an updated Health icon?

And this is good news, if true. Giving customers choice right away, as opposed to frustrated customers who wish they waited a month longer.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
It's either the 5.5" or the Galaxy Note 4. Let's hope Apple can win me over from the dark side!

Imaginator

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2014
The Cosmos
Well of frakking course they will launch simultaneously! Can you imagine the bitching and moaning from people who ordered the 4.7" only to find out that there is a 5.5" being announced 3 weeks later? The quality of posts on this site makes TMZ look like the New York Times.

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
Bloated lineup

I just hope Apple streamlines the iPhone lineup because if they end up having the 5C, 5S and both 6 models, it could be potentially overwhelming.

Just keep the 16GB 5S around as the entry level and have the 6 models be the flagship tiers.

And for the love of Jobs, please make 32GB the standard storage amount on the iPhone 6!

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I just hope Apple streamlines the iPhone lineup because if they end up having the 5C, 5S and both 6 models, it could be potentially overwhelming.

Just keep the 16GB 5S around as the entry level and have the 6 models be the flagship tiers.

And for the love of Jobs, please make 32GB the standard storage amount on the iPhone 6!

Overwhelming? Seriously?

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
My pocket is ready.
My wallet probably is not.
Can't wait for the 5.5".

Yup.

Making those soul crushing next/jump/more whatever plans where you pay off the phone slowly over 12-24 months seem like a good idea.

With how fast the iPhone 5/5C (A6 proc) is I think we're finally getting to a point where the hardware has outpaced the software enough to not feel slow after the OS updates.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
these reports are so dumb. Every phone maker who has a larger phone is able to get better battery life out of it than their smaller models. Apple never had an issue with battery life unless they expected it to be significantly higher than the 4.7" model

Laurence Eckert

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2014
Screen Size?

So by the looks of it, it looks to be the same amount of icons on the home screen? This could just me the mockup (I understand that) but, Apple better do something about the app grid if they are indeed releasing a bigger screen size. It would be pointless if applications looked exactly the same way and did not take advantage of the new real estate of the new model.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
How on earth am I going to pick without holding one. I hate how ridiculously huge the note looks but I've never held one so I'm not sure what id want

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
I hope they launch at the same time but I'm still not sure which one I will get.

I'm Guessing only the 5.5 will get dual app running capabilities so that might make the decision for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.