Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Digitimes reports that Apple's new 12" MacBook Air will enter mass production in the 3rd quarter of 2014. Quanta Computer is reportedly responsible for the assembly of the new machine which falls in between the 11" and 13" MacBook Air lines. Their sources have not heard of any changes to the existing 11" and 13" MacBook Air models.

macbook_air_2013_3-800x270.jpg
Digitimes' sources were able to confirm some small internal changes to the machine, but the new MacBook Air is said to look similar to the existing models:
The 12-inch MacBook Air features some design changes such as the battery and the internal layout, while its industrial design will be similar to its existing counterparts using an unibody aluminum chassis, the sources detailed. Some market watchers expect the machine to feature a Retina display.
First word of a 12" MacBook Air came from NPD DisplaySearch and analyst Ming Kuo in October, 2013. Kuo described the new machine as thinner than the existing MacBook Air and that it would incorporate a Retina Display. A Chinese forum post from a user who had previously leaked accurate information added that the 12" MacBook Air would feature a "new trackpad design" without a mechanical button and that the machine would have no fan.

Previous rumors have predicted that the 12" MacBook Air will be announced between Q3 and Q4 2014, so approximately September/October of this year.

Article Link: 12-Inch MacBook Air to Begin Production in 3rd Quarter 2014

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
similar design?

my hope is they would make it thinner.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Please no fan. Ever since I updated to Mavericks my 2011 MBA sounds like a fighter jet.

So you want worse performance especially when asking the GPU to push ~4x number of pixels with a Retina Display? I'm not sure you understand what you are asking for.

chadua

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
Please no fan. Ever since I updated to Mavericks my 2011 MBA sounds like a fighter jet.

Hey me too. Hopefully it cools down in Yosemite.

----------

So you want worse performance especially when asking the GPU to push ~4x number of pixels with a Retina Display? I'm not sure you understand what you are asking for.

So the internals being fried is a better alternative?

https://www.macrumors.com/2014/06/03/intel-broadwell-reference/

Check that out.

zunairryk

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I feel like without a fan rMBA would be very limited when it comes to tasks beyond web browsing, youtube etc. I hope it's not like the 2008 Macbook Air fiasco where the CPU would shut down one of its cores when the laptop got too hot.

FantasyX

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2013
I'll jump on this one if it features a retnia display with thinner bezels and a fan-less internal layout with a decent battery life. Otherwise, I'll wait for the new rumored iPad Pro.

jjhoekstra

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2009

So why can my iPad have a retina display without the need for a fan? I think he understood very well what he is asking for!

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
So is this the much Ballyhooed ARM based Mac? The first in line to displace Intel out of the Appleverse??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.