Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nest Labs today announced the "Works with Nest" developer program, which allows its Nest Thermostat and Nest Protect products to connect to a number of services from the likes of Google, Mercedes Benz, Whirlpool, LIFX and more for enhanced smart-home functionalities.

nest_thermostat_iphone_app-500x356.jpg
For example, Nest integration with Jawbone's UP24 band allows the smart thermostat to begin heating and cooling when a user wakes up, while the Nest Protect can connect with LIFX's bulbs to warn users of smoke or carbon monoxide. The new program will also allow users to create custom situations with popular service IFTTT, connecting the products to over 100 other products and services.

The Wall Street Journal also notes the Nest Thermostat's specific integration with Google's services, which comes after Google bought Nest earlier this year:
The integration will allow those users to set the temperature of their homes with voice commands to a Google mobile app. It will also allow Google's personal digital assistant, Google Now, to set the temperature automatically when it detects, using a smartphone's location-tracking abilities, that a user is returning home.
Nest also stated that it will allow developers of garage door openers and similar automated appliances to access and utilize user information. However, Nest co-founder Matt Rogers noted users will have to opt in for their information to be shared with Google, making it a point to emphasize user privacy:
Most of the data that Nest will share - with Google and others - will focus on whether users are at home or not, as detected by sensors on the thermostat. When people link a home device and related account with Nest, the company will not share their email address, name or home address with other companies, Rogers said.

"We're not becoming part of the greater Google machine," he said.
The news comes as a number of developers are working on products under Apple's new HomeKit initiative, which allows home automation devices and their apps to work with iOS services using a single, secure protocol. Companies currently lined up with Apple for HomeKit include iHome, Honeywell, Haier, Philips, Schlage, and Withings.

Last week, Nest Labs announced that it would be acquiring video-monitoring and security startup Dropcam for $555 million to further its smart home initiative. The company also restarted sales of its Nest protect app-enabled smoke detector last week after it was pulled from shelves over safety concerns.

Article Link: Nest Announces Developer API, Integrates With Mercedes, Google, IFTTT and More

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
This is their HomeKit.

Or at least the start of it.

With the way iOS8 is opening up, companies can create these and similar devices for the home that extend way beyond the AirPlay & AirPrint capabilities from a few years back.

noslenam

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
"Most of the data that Nest will share - with Google and others - will focus on whether users are at home or not, as detected by sensors on the thermostat. "

So now when Googles data is hacked, anyone can see that I'm away from the house! No thanks, I Walsall ready to buy the Nest then google F-ed that one up. Next the Google Glass will show everyone but me where I am
And that my home is ready to be picked clean.

No thanks for my home data being shared.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
"Most of the data that Nest will share - with Google and others - will focus on whether users are at home or not, as detected by sensors on the thermostat. "

So now when Googles data is hacked, anyone can see that I'm away from the house! No thanks, I Walsall ready to buy the Nest then google F-ed that one up. Next the Google Glass will show everyone but me where I am

Too late, it's already been hacked: Google's Nest thermostat hacked with Linux -- backdoor enabled on device

advancewarsbest

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2013
I said this before and I'll say it one more time:

Back in January at the CalTech Hackathon my team worked on project Beam that was as follows:

"An ambitious use of location data for autonomous uses such as change thermostat levels to preferred ones simply by walking in the door. Local lights intensity, brightness, contrast, and tone changing in the store to your preference. computer unlock, and adding contacts locally, in a much simpler and human manner. No need to rely on using your phone or computer, everything happens the way you would want it to. Built the entire network system, got computer unlocking and locking working, as well as implementing the social media aspect with adding contacts on Pinterest in this new form working. Extensive work was done on security and authentication for the application to make sure accounts, preferences, and user data can not be stolen."

Seeing this video got me really excited because it was totally what I had imagined back then and now its actually being done :D
The big difference was that it worked completely with your smartphone, so you didn't need the jawbone, or have a specific car. as long as you have your phone with you it would work. Great vid, I'm uber excited.

spacedesign911

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Interesting video, Mercedes could demonstrate a nice use of this car connectivity by being able to control the interior car temp remotely from your phone, for example your car is parked in the sun, hot inside, and you could start to cool the car down before getting to the car, or on a cold day start to heat the car prior to getting into the car.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Most of the data that Nest will share - with Google and others - will focus on whether users are at home or not, as detected by sensors on the thermostat.
And this is supposed to be a good thing?! Sorry, if this information is going anywhere, it's gotta be encrypted with my own key that "Google and others" don't have. They don't need to see that information.
"We're not becoming part of the greater Google machine," he said.
These two sentences are in the same paragraph. :rolleyes:

----------

"If you are a Nest user, I probably wouldn't panic yet. It seems the hacker would need physical access to the device, which limits the risk." I wouldn't worry about this any more than I'd worry about a spy hacking my iPhone with physical access, which is equally doable.

Last edited:

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK

And if anyone "hacks" Apple or your service provider they can also find out where you are from your iPhone. And yet oddly my home doesn't seem to get burgled every time I go out.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
I dislike all these you could automate this or this devices. They're not doing that and are complicated to get them to do it in the future until it's an actual feature you are wasting your cash. Nest is a company doing just that. They actually offer no feature that they can actually provide now, they're very insecure and owned by google the one company that you want to share the least possible info with.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL

Who's paying attention to you? Is it the anti-google thing? Would you have bought a nest pre-google?

Do you have your driveway lights and kitchen lights on timers, to simulate occupancy?

From Article: "... users will have to opt in for their information to be shared with Google..."

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Ever since Google took over nest, my f***ng nest became very unreliable. It's been breaking like 6 times a day everyday. It was super reliable back then. Now I've just started to to enjoy my Dropcam camera, I just read they're buying that too. I ********** hate google.

kuwxman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Kansas City
Ever since Google took over nest, my f***ng nest became very unreliable. It's been breaking like 6 times a day everyday. It was super reliable back then. Now I've just started to to enjoy my Dropcam camera, I just read they're buying that too. I ********** hate google.
o_O Your 'unreliable' Nest has nothing to do with Google purchasing Nest. Might be coincidence, but the purchase isn't the reason...

Some facts: Google purchased Nest back in February. Your Nest should have only received four updates in that time. Two of those updates were simple bug fixes and a third was an update for Heartbleed.

http://support.nest.com/article/Nest-Learning-Thermostat-software-update-history

By unreliable, I assume you mean the connection comes/goes. Two reasons: your WiFi is **** or something is wrong with your Nest. Fixes: For the first issue, fix your WiFi. For the second one, try resetting the Nest to factory settings. If that doesn't work, try contacting Nest support for additional help or a warranty replacement, if you're still covered.

xdhd350

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2010
Interesting video, Mercedes could demonstrate a nice use of this car connectivity by being able to control the interior car temp remotely from your phone, for example your car is parked in the sun, hot inside, and you could start to cool the car down before getting to the car, or on a cold day start to heat the car prior to getting into the car.
Yeah my Chevy Volt does that. Very handy feature to be able to pre-condition the car before you get in. Especially when it's still hooked up to the wall plug so that you don't waste battery range getting the inside warmed or cooled.

I got called irrational in another forum topic for expressing my fear of what would eventually happen to my Nest after Google has had their finger in the pie for awhile.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
I love my Nest. I love my Google services. And I love my Apple hardware. I can't wait to see how they all come together.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
o_O Your 'unreliable' Nest has nothing to do with Google purchasing Nest. Might be coincidence, but the purchase isn't the reason...

Some facts: Google purchased Nest back in February. Your Nest should have only received four updates in that time. Two of those updates were simple bug fixes and a third was an update for Heartbleed.

http://support.nest.com/article/Nest-Learning-Thermostat-software-update-history

By unreliable, I assume you mean the connection comes/goes. Two reasons: your WiFi is **** or something is wrong with your Nest. Fixes: For the first issue, fix your WiFi. For the second one, try resetting the Nest to factory settings. If that doesn't work, try contacting Nest support for additional help or a warranty replacement, if you're still covered.

Your best explanation is "coincidence"? There can be anything in "bug fixes" updates. It's a blanket statement for updates that companies don't want to list out the specifics.

I've tried everything including contacting them and tripple check my wifi. Everything is checked out. My network, HUE, and Dropcam were working perfectly while Nest keep breaking.

And what's up with not letting me disable auto update?

Kavok

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2002
http://support.nest.com/article/What-does-Nest-do-with-private-data

"So we store and encrypt personal info like your energy use, temperature adjustments, email address and location. We won’t share any of this info for commercial or marketing purposes without asking you. Ever. But we may use it to give you personalized reports or suggestions like the Nest Energy Report or Energy History."

Doesn't say anything about sharing with Google when you're not home. I guess they forgot to update their privacy policy. What practical reason would Google need to know if I'm home or not? All the promises made when it was announced Google bought Nest. They knew full well that Google can't resist data mining something like Nest. They lie just as bad as the government. Totally ruined a cool product.

eagle33199

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2007
This is a great first step, and honestly, there's a lot you can set up with it that doesn't require anyone to know if you're home or away. I set up a bunch of recipes in IFTTT:

If a smoke warning/emergency is detected, issue an iOS notification
If a carbon monoxide warning/emergency is detected, issue an iOS notification
If the Nest Detect batteries are low, e-mail/issue an iOS notification
If the thermostat temperature gets above 80, issue an iOS notification
If the thermostat temperature gets below 55, issue an iOS notification

None of it depends on me being at home or away, so all those complaining about that... just don't use that portion of it! As it is, this addition enables me to better keep track of the conditions in my house throughout the day, and if an emergency does happen while I'm away I'll know about it immediately and can rush home to get my dogs out of the house or handle the situation.

The only thing I wish I could do with IFTTT that it doesn't allow is automatically setting the thermostat to home/away based on location. I can set it to a specific temperature based on location, but I don't want to be messing with the recipe every time the seasons change - that's what home/away is designed for.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Yeah my Chevy Volt does that. Very handy feature to be able to pre-condition the car before you get in. Especially when it's still hooked up to the wall plug so that you don't waste battery range getting the inside warmed or cooled.

This works with the Volt because it's electrically powered. It doesn't make a lot of sense for a conventionally-powered car as the engine has to be running to cool or heat it.

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
As stupid as this sounds Apple should buy Google and redo everything. They have everything Apple could ever want in one company and more. Maybe it wouldn't be a monopoly...

nws0291

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
This is a great first step, and honestly, there's a lot you can set up with it that doesn't require anyone to know if you're home or away. I set up a bunch of recipes in IFTTT:

If a smoke warning/emergency is detected, issue an iOS notification
If a carbon monoxide warning/emergency is detected, issue an iOS notification
If the Nest Detect batteries are low, e-mail/issue an iOS notification
If the thermostat temperature gets above 80, issue an iOS notification
If the thermostat temperature gets below 55, issue an iOS notification

None of it depends on me being at home or away, so all those complaining about that... just don't use that portion of it! As it is, this addition enables me to better keep track of the conditions in my house throughout the day, and if an emergency does happen while I'm away I'll know about it immediately and can rush home to get my dogs out of the house or handle the situation.

The only thing I wish I could do with IFTTT that it doesn't allow is automatically setting the thermostat to home/away based on location. I can set it to a specific temperature based on location, but I don't want to be messing with the recipe every time the seasons change - that's what home/away is designed for.

I don't have a NEST and haven't looked into the security much but is it possible the nest talks back to google regardless to the user settings. Can you trace data for a few days to see what chatter is coming off the NEST.

Ed217

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2012
Virginia
The first issue with the Nest API is that it relies on Firebase, which isn't free to all but very limited apps. You don't really work with Nest, but with Firebase.

eagle33199

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2007
I don't have a NEST and haven't looked into the security much but is it possible the nest talks back to google regardless to the user settings. Can you trace data for a few days to see what chatter is coming off the NEST.

NEST talks back to the NEST servers all the time... that's how I can see settings, status, and temperatures from their website or from apps - that's the whole point of having a connected thermostat. The smoke detectors talk much less frequently, but they also serve as a long-term learning aid for the thermostat to help it determine when to use auto-away and when not too (especially when the thermostat might be in a place you don't go by very often, so it can't detect that you're actually home). There's no way for us to trace what goes from the NEST servers to Google...

PlutoPrime

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2009
Isn't it amazing how hard the top Nest guy is trying to separate himself from the "big" Google machine?

This reeks to me of a an acquisition that was motivated by $$$$$ and $$$$$ alone. Deep in his heart, he doesn't want the marriage of Nest + Google.

It's not surprising, considering the friction and clash that I hear about all the time amongst various teams at Google internally. It seems that at Google, every team has an "Us vs Them" mentality when it comes to the rest of the organization. What a crazy soup of fake-happy abundance Larry Page has created...

I think this is the recipe for the type of company that will grow fast, will do some great things, and ends with a spectacular implosion if left unchecked. All the pieces will grow in numbers and will eventually develop their walls and enough autonomy that will resent working with each other because they won't feel like they're part of the same team. This will create a culture of merely tolerating each other, and not cooperating with one another inside the business.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.