Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
So AT&T made these new plans which encourages not to buy subsidized phones. On launch day will I be able to pay $650 for the phone and activate it on my AT&T account?

Kryckter

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
So AT&T made these new plans which encourages not to buy subsidized phones. On launch day will I be able to pay $650 for the phone and activate it on my AT&T account?

We are hoping so. In the past years you could always buy out of contract through AT&T and Apple. I dont see why they would change this, especially with the new plans.

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
I sure hope so, because that is what I'll be doing.

I was going to originally buy the iPhone 5S in May, but decided to hold off till the 6. (I have the 4)

Back then there was the option to buy it without a contract, but recently, when I went to check, there were only two options - AT&T Next and a 2-year contract. Not sure what's up with that.

I would expect it to be an option to buy it off contract, as it has been an option in the past.

The only way to make sure is to check through AT&T and wait until launch day.

-Juan

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
I'm feeling confident that you'll see them on launch since carriers are pushing the non-subsidized devices.

I can't remember for past launches as I typically have a contract but I'm also hoping the carrier free contract free phones are available at launch.

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Whats the advantage of paying full price for a phone and not having a contract? I figure I need to use my phone anyway so who cares if its on a contract?

I always sell my phone or trade it in and the difference in price to upgrade has always been the same as being a new member ($199) or less.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Yes you will. Apple is guaranteed to sell them unlocked on launch day like last year.
False.

They did not sell unlocked until 2 months after launch.

http://9to5mac.com/2013/11/22/apple-starts-selling-unlocked-sim-free-iphone-5s-in-the-u-s/

Don't get your hopes up for non-contract phones on launch day. Especially considering expected demand for 6.

----------

Whats the advantage of paying full price for a phone and not having a contract? I figure I need to use my phone anyway so who cares if its on a contract?

I always sell my phone or trade it in and the difference in price to upgrade has always been the same as being a new member ($199) or less.
Not everyone is on a contract plan, or with a carrier who does contracts.
Several of the plans that go along with the contracts are bloated up in price.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

There are off contract plans that are less expensive than traditional 2 year plans even when you factor in the device subsidy.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
False.

http://9to5mac.com/2013/11/22/apple-starts-selling-unlocked-sim-free-iphone-5s-in-the-u-s/

Don't get your hopes up for non-contract phones on launch day. Especially considering expected demand for 6.

----------

Really so how was I able to buy 2 tmobile unlocked phones from Apple.com on launch day last september?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I see little advantage is seeking an unlocked phone as I have been with ATT for many years and have no desire to leave. In the event I or the person I give the phone to wants to sell, it is easy to get unlocked.

P A U L

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2014
False.

----------

False.

I bought the 4s and 5s on launch day unlocked at normal price (850 for the 64gb) at my local Apple Store.

Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile models are factory unlocked automatically when you buy it off contract at any Apple Store.

Verizon is factory unlocked, even on contract.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
I see little advantage is seeking an unlocked phone as I have been with ATT for many years and have no desire to leave. In the event I or the person I give the phone to wants to sell, it is easy to get unlocked.
I travel a lot so unlock is a must.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
False.

----------

False, I ordered a T-Mobile UNLOCKED Gold 5S on launch day last year.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Some buy unlocked because they do not intend to use the phone any of the big carriers. I will be getting the Verizon iPhone 6 as it gives me maximum flexibility. My 5s was unlocked from att but I'm using it on cricket saving me $45 a month from what I was paying att. Also, I can switch carriers as I choose.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Some buy unlocked because they do not intend to use the phone any of the big carriers. I will be getting the Verizon iPhone 6 as it gives me maximum flexibility. My 5s was unlocked from att but I'm using it on cricket saving me $45 a month from what I was paying att. Also, I can switch carriers as I choose.

I can see the interest in unlocked, it just does not matter to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.