Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Best Buy is now offering the new entry-level iMac for $979.99, a $120 discount off its standard price of $1099. Combined with the recent educational discount that takes an additional $150 off the price of Apple iMacs and MacBooks, the new iMac model can be purchased by qualifying customers for just $829.99.

best_buy_imac_829.jpg
While the $980 sale price is available to all customers until June 28, the extra $150 discount is part of Best Buy's current College Student Deals that run until July 12. You need a valid .edu email address and must sign up at Best Buy's website to be eligible for the extra student discount on all iMac and MacBook models.

The new entry-level 21.5-inch iMac includes a 1.4GHz dual-core Intel i5 processor, a 500GB hard drive, 8GB of memory, and an Intel HD 5000 Graphics chip. The new iMac ships with the same ultra-low voltage Intel processor used in the current MacBook Air and scores similarly on benchmarks.

MacRumors is an affiliate partner of Best Buy.

Article Link: Best Buy Selling New Entry-Level iMac for $830 With EDU Discount

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
Doesn't this model use the same processor as the MacBook Air? That would make the MBA a better deal, right?

dlimes13

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Perrysburg, OH
Doesn't this model use the same processor as the MacBook Air? That would make the MBA a better deal, right?

Yes to the processor. But for someone who wants the large screen and doesn't need portability, it isn't horrible. If you get an Air, you still would need a keyboard, mouse and monitor if you set it up as a desktop.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013

Expect for the bigger screen and having different purposes that may or may not fit in with your own...

So no, not exactly.

supersalo

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
What luck. I ordered a refurb 21.5" 2.7GHz quad-core machine for $1099 that is scheduled to be delivered today....

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

Potentially, but this comes with more storage space (albeit at the cost of a sluggish HDD), a little more RAM than the base MBA and a 21.5" display -- the latter of which the MBA definitely doesn't have :D

Still overpriced for what it is, though.

supersalo

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
I might pick this up at Best Buy and return the refurb I ordered (as much as I hate Best Buy).

It's only going to be used for the kids and their homework, so the older processor isn't an issue.

Hmm... decisions, decisions...

Ericus Macabeus

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2009
Delray Beach, Florida
Add the 10% moving coupon, that's $746.99. Not bad.

What is this 10% moving coupon? I'm intreguied.

----------

I might pick this up at Best Buy and return the refurb I ordered (as much as I hate Best Buy).

It's only going to be used for the kids and their homework, so the older processor isn't an issue.

What did you order specs wise and what did you pay?

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014
Potentially, but this comes with more storage space (albeit at the cost of a sluggish HDD), a little more RAM than the base MBA and a 21.5" display -- the latter of which the MBA definitely doesn't have :D

For my money, I'd buy a refurbished 11" Air (~$700) and plug it into a 1080p monitor (~$120) at home for around the same total price, maybe a small external USB drive to round out the package. A messier solution than the iMac, but you also get a highly portable laptop in the deal.

supersalo

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
What is this 10% moving coupon? I'm intreguied.

----------

What did you order specs wise and what did you pay?

I got what is now the 'mid' 21.5" for $1099:

2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
8GB memory
1TB hard drive
Intel Iris Pro Graphics

AxiomaticRubric

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2010
On Mars, Praising the Omnissiah
For my money, I'd buy a refurbished 11" Air (~$700) and plug it into a 1080p monitor (~$120) at home for around the same total price, maybe a small external USB drive to round out the package. A messier solution than the iMac, but you also get a highly portable laptop in the deal.

You would still need a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter, but yeah, that's an option.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Well, that's getting close to what the thing should have been priced at in the first place.

Boatboy24

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop

I certainly would. If you use the .edu discount, and go to the Post Office for the 10% off Best Buy coupon, you could save yourself a couple hundred bucks.

Kryckter

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009

This is a perfect solution for that. A good, all in one computer at a good price. Perfect to have in the family room not just for the kids but everyone!

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010

LOL...but...which apple product is NOT overpriced though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.