Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RobbieHjarta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2011
New York
Hey all,

I'm a 20 year old college student who loves his Macbook (I got it about 9 months ago, so it's relatively new), and have had the most unfortunate thing happened to me. I had my Macbook on the dining room table, and went to the kitchen to get a bottle of water, opened it, took a sip, and proceeded towards the dining room to go to the living room. When I turned to leave the kitchen, my foot caught the side of the vacuum's cord, and fell flat on my face while the water bottle went up into the air, and fell on the other side of the dining table (opposite side of the macbook). I got up quickly, and saw about a 1/8 of a teaspoon amount of water between the "Qwerty" and number row, and the laptop shut off instantly. I turned the computer over, dried the keyboard with a towel (while it was still upside down) and blow dried the keyboard as well, removing the keys in the area where the spill occurred.

Right now, it's turned over, opened, with a towel underneath it sitting in my room. I checked, and it won't start, and the little light on the charging cord won't light either. I can't remove the battery because I have one of the newer Macbooks, and I don't have the tools to remove the bottom covering. I don't know much about computers either, so I really don't know what else I could do.

I'm really worried because I'm unemployed, so I have no income to pay for whatever damage has been done to it. I also need the laptop for college work, and the only computer I have to work with is our old Dell Dimension 3000 from 2004.

I never eat/drink around my laptop because of the fear that this might happen, but what do you know, no matter what I did I still ended up ********* in the end.

So my question to all of you, what damage is done to a Macbook if it's had water spilled on it? Would it be expensive to get it fixed? Should I just start planning a funeral for it? ): Any recommendations/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks a lot.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Don't try starting it again. Get a huge bag of rice and put the MBP inside the bag. Leave it there for several days and the rice will draw out the moisture.

If that doesn't work, maybe you can take it to the Apple Store and politely plead your case and maybe they will have mercy on you and fix it. Otherwise you may be spending some $$$ for repairs or replacement.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Don't try starting it again. Get a huge bag of rice and put the MBP inside the bag. Leave it there for several days and the rice will draw out the moisture.

If that doesn't work, maybe you can take it to the Apple Store and politely plead your case and maybe they will have mercy on you and fix it. Otherwise you may be spending some $$$ for repairs or replacement.

I agree with SandboxGeneral.

Put the MBP in a large bag of dry, uncooked rice - the purpose of the rice is to absorb whatever liquid residue is still in or around, the MBP.

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, attempt to switch it on, for several days at least. If you do succumb to the completely understandable temptation of trying to see whether the rice is doing its job and absorbing whatever liquid residue remains inside your MBP, you run the risk of frying the interior components of your computer.

Change the rice in the bag after a few days and replace it with fresh, uncooked rice. Pray. Wait. If, after a week or so of waiting, the MBP doesn't work when you attempt to switch it on, you may then have no choice but to go to an Apple store and ask, politely, for advice and help. You may not necessarily receive it, but then again, you might, if you are lucky and they take pity on you. If, however, that is not the case, then, be prepared to pay for repairs, or a replacement MBP.

Cheers and good luck

realchimera

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2011
Boston

IMAO. Don't do that. That sounds absurd. Just let it dry in the air... If you still can't start your MBP, you better find some professionals to check it.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
IMAO. Don't do that. That sounds absurd. Just let it dry in the air... If you still can't start your MBP, you better find some professionals to check it.

Really? Many, many people have done this and had success. Plus it's an extremely inexpensive thing to try before spending some serious money to fix it.

Why do you think manufacturers put little silica gel bags in the shipping boxes of electronics?

realchimera

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2011
Boston
Really? Many, many people have done this and had success. Plus it's an extremely inexpensive thing to try before spending some serious money to fix it.

Why do you think manufacturers put little silica gel bags in the shipping boxes of electronics?

Can't flowing air carry away the moisture? unless you live underground...

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Can't flowing air carry away the moisture? unless you live underground...

Silica gel
Silica gel is a granular, vitreous, porous form of silica made synthetically from sodium silicate. Despite its name, silica gel is a solid. It is a naturally occurring mineral that is purified and processed into either granular or beaded form. As a desiccant (a hygroscopic substance used as a drying agent.), it has an average pore size of 2.4 nanometers and has a strong affinity for water molecules.
Silica gel is most commonly encountered in everyday life as beads packed in a vapor-permeable plastic. In this form, it is used as a desiccant to control local humidity in order to avoid spoilage or degradation of some goods. Because of poisonous dopants (see below) and their very high absorption of moisture, silica gel packets usually bear warnings for the user not to eat the contents. If consumed, the pure silica gel is unlikely to cause acute or chronic illness.

Rice acts in a very similar way and is easier to find and cheap to buy.

RobbieHjarta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2011
New York
Get a huge bag of rice and put the MBP inside the bag. Leave it there for several days and the rice will draw out the moisture.

I actually thought about doing this since a student in one of my classes suggested it, and she said it saved her Macbook after she spilled about a 2 inches of water on hers! But I'm wondering, would this technique still work even if there's moisture inside the casing, or will the rice draw all the moisture out regardless?

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, attempt to switch it on, for several days at least.

I already attempted to do that >< I really hope it didn't do any damage, but I'm definitely not going to touch it now.

Thanks everyone

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I actually thought about doing this since a student in one of my classes suggested it, and she said it saved her Macbook after she spilled about a 2 inches of water on hers! But I'm wondering, would this technique still work even if there's moisture inside the casing, or will the rice draw all the moisture out regardless?

It will eventually draw all of it out regardless. That being said, it's not guaranteed to fix your issue. What happens is that, the parts inside the computer can start to corrode. If you knew how to take it apart, you could also try cleaning the corrosion with alcohol.

042007_0123_DellDimensi2.jpg

I would try the Apple store to be honest. Just be honest with what happened and hope for the best.
Buona Fortuna!

realchimera

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2011
Boston
It will eventually draw all of it out regardless. That being said, it's not guaranteed to fix your issue. What happens is that, the parts inside the computer can start to corrode. If you knew how to take it apart, you could also try cleaning the corrosion with alcohol.

I would try the Apple store to be honest. Just be honest with what happened and hope for the best.
Buona Fortuna!

As a 5th year ME phd from MIT I can tell you most of the people here have no idea what they are talking about, and they don't even have common sense of life or electronic device. I bet them have never build a computer themselves. Rice, silica gel won't help, I would just let it air dry. And it has nothing to do with corrosion. If you get an electrical short, either mainboard or cpu may get burnt already.

I think you should just ask professionals for help. Without electronic kits or spare parts, it's hard to diagnose the problem youself.

Last edited:

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
I'm sorry to say if your computer shut off right when you spilled water on it, it's most likely already fried. Also rice is used to absorb surface moisture, it's not going to do a dam thing for water inside the casing.

Your best bet is to buy USB hard drive enclosure, Remove+Clone+Wipe+Reinsert your HD, then bring your computer to a Apple Store for diagnosis.

Depending on the price to fix it, you might want to consider selling your computer for parts on eBay and then buy a new one (and a silicone cover for the keyboard :p).

Sadly Apple motherboards are not cheap, so eBay might end up being the best option. :(

Last edited:

RobbieHjarta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2011
New York
I'm sorry to say if your computer shut off right when you spilled water on it, it's most likely already fried. Also rice is used to absorb surface moisture, it's not going to do a dam thing for water inside the casing.

Your best bet is to buy USB hard drive enclosure, Remove+Clone+Wipe+Reinsert your HD, then bring your computer to a Apple Store for diagnosis.

Depending on the price to fix it, you might want to consider selling your computer for parts on eBay and then buy a new one (and a silicone cover for the keyboard :p).

Sadly Apple motherboards are not cheap, so eBay might end up being the best option. :(

That doesn't sound good. Ugh. How much are USB hard drive enclosures? I've been searching "Macbook Pro motherboards" on google, and found some decently priced ones. There's also a reputable computer repair place in town who is supposedly a God when it comes to dealing with Macs. Would the motherboard be the only part that's damaged? I guess my best bet is just to let it dry for a couple days, see if it turns on, if not, then get it looked at by a professional.

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
USB enclosures are about $10-20 USD. (Example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817392032)

Which MacBook do you have, the 13" or 15"? I can link you to a tutorial on how to remove the hard drive (so you can get your data off of it). If you don't have anything important or private, than skip doing this.

MacBook motherboards (or Logic boards) are usually in the $600+ range if replaced directly by Apple. And it cant just be any old one, you need to get the correct one for your model.

I don't know what the water shorted out, its possible its a less expensive part.

Let it dry for a week before trying it again.

Last edited:

RobbieHjarta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2011
New York
Which MacBook do you have, the 13" or 15"? I can link you to a tutorial on how to remove the hard drive (so you can get your data off of it). If you don't have anything important or private, than skip doing this.

I just bought one for $10 off Amazon. I have the 13" Macbook. I would need to purchase the screw drivers for opening the case, correct? I was wondering how I would be able to use the USB enclosure without being able to turn on the computer.

If I need to spend over $600 on it, I'm just going to save up and get an iMac. I never want this experience again. I can't believe how easy water got into the computer. It had to be sitting on the keyboard for less than a second before I flipped it over, and dried it intensely

JeffL5

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
hey guys I just created an account so I could share with everyone what had happened to me just last night . I was laying in bed with my macbook on my bedside table and a glass of milk beside my macbook. my dog had came in extremely excited and knocked a full glass of milk onto the left side on my computer and went directly into the usb ports and everything else on that side of my macbook pro. my computer shut off completely and would not turn back on. the power cord light wouldnt show up either . I quickly ran to the kitchen dried it off with a towel and then vacuumed all of the areas where the milk was spilled . I checked this exact website and people had said to cover it in rice and let it sit over night , so I proceded to collect all the rice in my house fill up a grocery bag pile the rice up and rest my computer on its side spill side down with rice underneath and covering the keyboard , this happened around 12:30 am and I just checked it now 4:00 pm and it works perfectly fine not a problem with it and everything is 100% back to normal . So if you find yourself in a similar situation I strongly suggest you do the same , it saved my macbook 24,000 songs and 2,000 pictures that I hold very close to my heart !! good luck to you all and thank you very much : )

agriesha

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2012
hey guys I just created an account so I could share with everyone what had happened to me just last night . I was laying in bed with my macbook on my bedside table and a glass of milk beside my macbook. my dog had came in extremely excited and knocked a full glass of milk onto the left side on my computer and went directly into the usb ports and everything else on that side of my macbook pro. my computer shut off completely and would not turn back on. the power cord light wouldnt show up either . I quickly ran to the kitchen dried it off with a towel and then vacuumed all of the areas where the milk was spilled . I checked this exact website and people had said to cover it in rice and let it sit over night , so I proceded to collect all the rice in my house fill up a grocery bag pile the rice up and rest my computer on its side spill side down with rice underneath and covering the keyboard , this happened around 12:30 am and I just checked it now 4:00 pm and it works perfectly fine not a problem with it and everything is 100% back to normal . So if you find yourself in a similar situation I strongly suggest you do the same , it saved my macbook 24,000 songs and 2,000 pictures that I hold very close to my heart !! good luck to you all and thank you very much : )

Ok, you're making me feel a whole lot better. I spilled an ounce and a half or so of soda on my MacBook Pro (which I just got this past April, darnit!!) last night. It immediately shut off, and in my panic I did try and turn it back on....but apparently the power button was too wet to send a signal. As soon as liquid hit it, I yanked it up in the air and turned it over, which also knocked off the power cord (which...was apparently a good thing). My boyfriend and I did our best to blot it upside-down with towels, and I ended up ripping off the protective case I had on it, and wiping some of the liquid out of there, and I took off the back and wiped as much as I could out of there. Plus I was sticking edges of paper towels down in all of the crevices I could get to. I left the thing sitting upside-down overnight over the edge of a table with the keyboard resting on a tray of rice and a ceiling fan going full-bore over the table so that the insides of the computer could get some air.

I'm terrified to try and turn it on, but given your stories, I'll probably try tomorrow. In the meantime, I think I'm going to go pick up an external hard drive and maybe take it to the Mac store on Thursday to see if they'll at least transfer the data for me.

Any other stories with similar hope would be appreciated! I'm freaking out a bit right now!

LizR

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2014
I spilled beer on my MacBook Air keyboard a few days ago. I immediately turned it off and left it upside down for maybe 24 hours without trying to turn it back on. I did towel/wipe it dry but that is all. After about 24 hours I tried to turn it back on and after pressing the on button many times it would occasionally show the low battery image on the screen. The orange light showing low battery lit up when I plugged my computer in but it wouldn't turn on. About 6 hours ago I took a blow drier to the keyboard for less than a minute I'd say. I just tried to turn my computer on and after a few attempts it worked. Everything is great except my keys are a bit sticky and my battery says it isn't charging. However, it does stay on as long as I keep it plugged in. Best of luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.