Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's proposed acquisition of Beats Electronics is facing its first regulatory hurdle after the Cupertino company announced the deal last month. As reported by Reuters, European Union's Antitrust Commission is expected to make a decision on the purchase by July 30.

applebeats.jpg
The EU regulators can approve the deal unconditionally, demand concessions if they have anti-competitive concerns or order a full investigation if they need more convincing that the acquisition will be a benefit and not a detriment to competition.

The pending $3 billion deal includes both Beats Electronics, which offers headphones and speakers, and Beats Music, a streaming music subscription service. Under the deal, Beats executives Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre will join Apple, giving the company a significant boost to its music industry connections.

Besides the EU, regulators in the United States also must examine the deal and determine whether there are any concerns with competition. Barring any unforeseen regulatory issues, Apple expects the transaction to close sometime next quarter.

Article Link: EU Regulators Expected to Decide on Apple's Acquisition of Beats By July 30

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Why are the Europeans sticking their big noses into an American merger? This is bureaucracy gone far too far!

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I think the only part they may have concerns about is the subscription music service. iTunes is the leader in online music sales and they may feel this purchase is a way to leverage that monopoly to take over the streaming market unfairly.

We'll see I guess :p

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
Why are the Europeans sticking their big noses into an American merger? This is bureaucracy gone far too far!

Because it's a global company that also operates in the EU? My guess though is that nothing will come of this because there are several other digital music providers.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010

Because one or both companies have operations within the EU and offer their services here as well. This is pretty much given with every major business merger/acquisition.

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
Because god forbid that a private company allocate their capital in the way that they think would best benefit them and therefore their customers. At least I'm not paying for that mess too... :rolleyes:

rossome

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2014
Steve's Apple is officially no more, looking at this picture with Tim next to Apple’s newest executive, who's been recorded multiple times advocating the murder of white people, domestic abuse, rape and objectification of women, illegal drug use, violence towards the gay community, and unwarranted, illegal gun violence.

We do miss you, Steve, badly.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011

Maybe because Apple and Beats both sell products and services, and operate commercial divisions (at least Apple does, probably Beats too), in Europe?

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Would some better educated soul explain how Apple acquiring a speaker/streaming company could benefit other companies? :confused: I mean, I suppose if the public reaction to the acquisition is as negative as it is on MR, companies like Samsung and Google could see a slight boost in sales. :p

As others have pointed out, you misread that, me.

Last edited:

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Because god forbid that a private company allocate their capital in the way that they think would best benefit them and therefore their customers.

If a private company could somehow force every single human being on this planet to use their product, do you for one second think that they wouldn't?

While a company's best interest might not be the polar opposite of a consumer's best interest, the two can never be aligned. Hence we have governments and trade organizations limiting what corporations can and can not do.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Would some better educated soul explain how Apple acquiring a speaker/streaming company could benefit other companies?

It won't. And it doesn't have to. It has to benefit *competition*. And actually it doesn't even need to do that. It just cannot hinder it.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Would some better educated soul explain how Apple acquiring a speaker/streaming company could benefit other companies? :confused: I mean, I suppose if the public reaction to the acquisition is as negative as it is on MR, companies like Samsung and Google could see a slight boost in sales. :p

It states benefit to competition, not competitors.

inplainview

macrumors member
May 3, 2014

Yes, yes. The world only exists from NY to California...

----------

The name alone isn't worth $3 billion. You might not like the headphones but they sell like crazy.

I agree. I was just making a comment about the sound quality of the phones. Yes they sell. Does this mean that people are stupid or have no clue about sound quality? But then again sound is subjective so whatever.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Steve's Apple is officially no more, looking at this picture with Tim next to Apple’s newest executive, who's been recorded multiple times advocating the murder of white people, domestic abuse, rape and objectification of women, illegal drug use, violence towards the gay community, and unwarranted, illegal gun violence.

We do miss you, Steve, badly.

High-Horse-09-18-13-400x400.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.