Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamPro

macrumors regular
May 15, 2009
Hmm, many want larger 5"+ phones.
Why would they be looking at a dumbed down 2.5" phone on a wrist? Perhaps a different target? Or do they overlap? Then why so?

Not totally convinced with the smart watch craze... yet.
Just not seeing how this "smartwatch" is doing anything exceptionally well over the convenience of pulling out my phone or a phone already on a stand at work in the car etc. I thought the traditional watch took a hit due to smart phones that not only tell the time but also do much more? Why go back to having a watch that does less in addition to having to carry a smartphone?

I'm thinking the health band approach is the way to go. Yet, Google I/O really haven't showed much regarding this. Perhaps, sometime in the future the watch or some other form factor will completely replace the smartphone (not linked to the smartphone).

Still waiting....

Last edited:

Cali Fornia

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2012
Vienna, Austria
Looks like a solid presentation from Google, but I don't see how it exceeds Apple's WWDC. Google shows a lot more things at earlier stages of development- which makes it look like they're "doing more".

That's what I hate about Google so much. They introduce and sneak peak so much stuff that is not even coming to the market anyway. So senseless.

EricDejuan

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2013
This Keynote is seriously boring. Not trying to be funny. The Protestors are the most exciting part so far.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I'm more convinced than ever that a screen-less "watch" could be incredibly useful.

Even if Apple comes out with something that has a screen I would not be surprised to see them have at least one model that is nothing more than a band. (Like iPod classic vs. iPod shuffle)

Of all the reasons I might want an iWatch, the majority of them don't require me to look at the watch at all.

Cali Fornia

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2012
Vienna, Austria

Nexus Q? It even annoyed me when I tried to switch to Google that most of the official accessories for the Moto G were not available and no date was mentioned when it would. :mad:
Also, why announce the ****ing Moto 360 close to a year ahead just to attract attention (wearing them in interviews e.g.) but not willing to tell anything specific? Attention seekers.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Apple took 1 steps forward, but then Google took 5.

There was nothing impressive shown at IO.

Android L is nice, with a cool, Apple rip off UI update. But other than that... nothing interesting.

Android Wear is "meh".

unclevername

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2014
Spending money to get something that does the same exact thing as the phone I already have. lol go home Google you're drunk.

What a boring keynote, honestly. There's literally nothing of value that's worthwhile.

Android L is nice, with a cool, Apple rip off UI update. But other than that... nothing interesting.

Android Wear is "meh".

But the Googlebots will fawn over it as if it's the greatest thing in the world on Google+ and Google will remain tone-deaf.

This Keynote is seriously boring. Not trying to be funny. The Protestors are the most exciting part so far.

Sadly Google's hubris will ignore it, even though they deserve to be protested, and nothing will change because of it.

Been watching the Google I/O - They really have excelled themselves this year.

I hate to say it, but after watching the I/O, it makes it appear Apple take 1 step forward but then take 3 steps back.

I think you forgot your sarcasm tag.

Last edited:

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
That's what I hate about Google so much. They introduce and sneak peak so much stuff that is not even coming to the market anyway. So senseless.

The first Google wear watch starts pre order today. Google said first car offers Google auto will be coming this year. Better than Apple's CarPlay roll out. Google Chromebook is already in the market. Google demoed Chromecast last year and it is in market.

Companies do demo of concept ideas from time to time. It does not mean everything demoed will be out in market. Sometimes these ideas are built into the system

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Nexus Q? It even annoyed me when I tried to switch to Google that most of the official accessories for the Moto G were not available and no date was mentioned when it would. :mad:
Also, why announce the ****ing Moto 360 close to a year ahead just to attract attention (wearing them in interviews e.g.) but not willing to tell anything specific? Attention seekers.

But the Nexus Q was released. I dont quite follow your logic. Apple has also released products that it shortly discontinued.

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

you know Nexus Q was on the market. But it get canned in favor of Chromecast.

Google announced Moto 360 would in market this summer.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
You heard it here first, the iWatch is going to be more of a standalone device rather than being tethered to a smartphone like what Google is presenting.

Remember this is a new product category and we have to think of it in terms of iPod/iPhone/iPad caliber. Looking at those 3 devices, not any one device is dependent on another to use its core functions.

Android Wear being dependent on your smartphone does not feel like a new product category. Like what Steve Jobs have always said, it needs to be like magic!

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012

Android Wear is "meh".

I knew someone would call this UI a ripoff... even though its based off the look of Google Now, Google Play, Google Docs and the Google Maps update or hell even Chrome OS. All of which predates the release of iOS 7.

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc

Android Wear is "meh".

are you really gonna start with the who copied who? last i checked.. apple seemed to have integrated a lot of features that android has had for years now..

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Apple took 1 steps forward, but then Google took 5.

You mean 5 back.

This wearable from Google is laughable.

As usual, these tech companies need Apple to show them how to create a new product and how to do it correctly.

unclevername

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2014
are you really gonna start with the who copied who? last i checked.. apple seemed to have integrated a lot of features that android has had for years now..

Yeah those lock screen notifications are pretty nice...

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.