Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier today it was reported that the iPhone 6 would launch in 32 GB and 64 GB variants, indicating that Apple may not launch a 16 GB variant of the next iPhone and leaving many wondering whether Apple would introduce a third 128 GB variant. Now Chinese site Wei Feng [Google Translate] is reporting that Apple may introduce a 128 GB variant only for the 5.5-inch iPhone 6.

5-5.jpg
5.5" iPhone 6 model photo via TechSmartt
The site says that the storage size difference would act as a major differentiator between the 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch models other than display size, allowing people to get a true "phablet" experience with lots of storage space to save various documents and data. This would partly mirror Apple's iPad models, which allow for up to 128 GB of storage while iPhones only allow up to 64 GB of storage.

However, if Apple abandons the 16 GB model and introduces a 128 GB variant for the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 only, it would mean the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 only has two storage size variants, going against Apple's trend of releasing iOS devices with at least three different storage size options.

In addition to a larger display, the iPhone 6 is expected to launch this September with a thinner design, a faster processor, and an improved camera. The larger 5.5-inch iPhone 6 is also rumored to exclusively have optical image stabilization to also differentiate it from the smaller iPhone 6, which will instead have an advanced lens module.

Article Link: Only the 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 May Offer 128GB Models

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
Commence the outpour of complaints.

Steve wouldn't have allowed this.
How am I gonna hold it with one hand?
How will I fit this in my skinny jeans?
Might as well put a phone in a iPad mini.
If I wanted a Phablet, I'd buy a Samsung.
But will Safari be snappier?

Did I cover them all?

Last edited:

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Would Apple really make the 5.5" iPhone their flagship model with the best features? That would be disappointing.

walkthruwalls

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2014
waters of Thailand
I'm taking this with a grain of salt since we also had rumors of the 5S to have the same higher capacity. But this would definitely be my next purchase if Apple will indeed give us this storage size.

It's about time. Android is enjoying their micro SD cards with 128gb capacity. Bring it, Tim!

thecurryman

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2012
Only make sense...Every Apple product line has "premium" and regular products.
The 5.5 is going to carry a premium price, so there will be "premium" features like larger storage, optical image stabilization, and possibly sapphire glass.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Both this and the OIS feature are things that take up space on the chassis, as it's likely that Apple would hit 128 gb by combining 2 64 gb modules. Not saying Apple couldn't get it in both, but they clearly are making trade offs between features and size. Not really a problem, it'll be fun to have choices.

I know you guys want all the features on all of the phones, but to be fair, even the 4.7 model will be a better iPhone than ever released so either way we win.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Would Apple really make the 5.5" iPhone their flagship model with the best features? That would be disappointing.

I remember Apple did this with the 3rd generation iPod nano, silver came in only 8GB ($149) but 16GB was offered in a variety of colors ($199).

The iPhone 3G was offered in 8GB black ($199) or 16GB black or white ($299).

This is not new Apple behavior.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
They must have read the other thread and created a new headline to generate more hits.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I need 128 GB on my phone. My 64 iGB now is packed to bursting.

What I need even more than that: a deep, soul-searching re-evaluation of what I REALLY need to have stored offline on my phone 24/7/365.

(Note to Apple--the final piece of this puzzle: let me delete an app and reinstall it without losing my app data. Prime example: games are huge files! And I hate to lose my progress. Let me store only my favorite few dozen games of the moment, yet let me re-install ANY of my zillion games at will and pick up right where I left off. It's not as though saved-game files will take up that much iCloud space. This would make both iCloud and local backups SO much more useful than the current all-or-nothing-or-weird-hack approach.)

iOSaddict

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2014
Commence the outpour of complaints.

Steve wouldn't have allowed this.
How am I gonna hold it with one hand?
How will I fit this in my skinny jeans?
Might as well put a phone in a iPad mini.
If I wanted a Phablet, I'd buy a Samsung.
But will Safari be snappier?

Did I cover them all?

Too expensive. Too ugly. Too late. Too iOS. Too Apple. Too Samsung. :D

borneo76

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
Indonesia
i just buy 4.7" iPhone, no need 5.5" because my iPad Mini do just fine...i need to upgrade my iPhone 4s..it's about damn time :rolleyes:

room237

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Queens, NYC
I don't want the 5.5. I was hoping for a 128GB on the 4.7 only because 64GB is enough for me, and for once I wouldn't have to go for the highest capacity model

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.