Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple appears to be planning on launching a new 16GB fifth-generation iPod touch, according to a source that spoke to MacRumors. The new iPod touch would be a 16GB version of the current 32/64GB iPod touch, coming in six different colors with a rear camera and a lower price tag of $199. Separately, iGen.fr reports that they have heard that a new iPod touch will indeed be launching on Tuesday of next week. Their source did not directly corroborate the pricing and specs, but did say it was a single model only, and not a revision of the entire iPod touch line.

Apple initially launched the 32/64GB fifth-generation iPod touch in October of 2012 with a $299 price tag, but later added a lower-cost silver-only 16GB iPod touch that stripped key features like a rear camera to lower the cost to $229.

ipod_touch_5_colors-800x538.jpg
As time passes and technology advances, component prices often drop, which may be why Apple is planning to bring feature parity to its iPod touch lineup nearly two years after the original launch of the fifth-generation iPod touch.

Apple's fifth-generation iPod touch has been lauded for its ultrathin design and its bright colors, but spec wise, the product is inferior to the current iPhone 5s, with only an A5 chip and a 5-megapixel iSight camera, which may be another reason Apple is launching a lower-cost version of the device.

It is unclear what will happen to the existing 16GB iPod touch, but Apple could choose to lower the price of that device even further or discontinue it in favor of the new version with a rear camera.

Article Link: Apple Planning to Launch New $199 16GB iPod Touch With Rear Camera, Multiple Colors

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2014
they won't kill it

it's the device for many people to get in contact with ios

later they will buy an iPhone, so it's kinda the mac mini of ios world.

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
If they added baseband, this would be a great entry-level smartphone..

ahbiteme

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Makes sense to me. Perfect for kids who don't need (or aren't allowed or whose parents can't afford) a full phone, but still lets them have access to apps, music, a camera, etc.

Shame that it'll be running a 2yo chip, as it can surely only be supported for a limited amount of time before it can't handle the OS anymore. But then I suppose that many of those who would buy this don't care about having the latest features and being able to play the most advanced games.

x5tuu

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2012
Hmmmmm, with the increase in wifi hotspots I *may* be able to get away with using a iPod touch like this as a fully fledged handset with the O2 TuGo app which let's you calls and text over a data connection.

Perviously without a camera this would have been a no-go

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
If they added baseband, this would be a great entry-level smartphone..

iPod touch + cellular capabilities = iPhone

I live in Modesto, CA and Xfinity just added WiFi towers throughout my town for Xfinity members (and a few other cities in the bay area), so now I get WiFi all around town while shopping, out and about or driving which means I can essentially use an iPod touch for things like iMessage, browsing websites, make and receive FaceTime Audio and Video calls.

So for $199 you can essentially go contract free and get by using an iPod touch.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Hmmmmm, with the increase in wifi hotspots I *may* be able to get away with using a iPod touch like this as a fully fledged handset with the O2 TuGo app which let's you calls and text over a data connection.

You can get this + a cheap MiFi-dongle and you're all set.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
The bettered iPod Touch, replacing the non-camera older version, says two things:

1) The iPT is not irrelevant or dead.

2) They are gearing up for revision/improvement to the advanced iPT versions later this year.

Due to the current stats of the iPT, there is no doubt that the iPT will undergo the routine 2-year refresh cycle in October. Fans of the iPT aim for it to be something on par with the iPhone, in terms of hardware, but they should be aware that the iPT has never been on par with the iPhone. The next iPT will a nice improvement, not a tech-geek fantasy.

ahlsn

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2013
Would love if the iPhone 6 looked like this with multiple color choices and slim format instead of going phablet.

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
Love the design of the Touch! Even the wifi-cutout on the back looks nice—and far better than the 'antenna-bands' on all the iPhone 6 mockups (hope and assume they will not look anything like that on the real iPhone 6 designs, though).

This is one of Apples finest designs, indeed.
My 8yrs old son loves his blue iPod Touch (though he misses a selection of cool covers for it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.