Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Japenese blog Mac Otakara today published a video showing what is claimed to be the rear shell from a 4.7-inch iPhone 6 alongside the iPhone 5s and several iPhone 6 mockups. Similar to earlier photos, the Mac Otakara shell includes a complex internal structure and cutouts for the camera, flash and Apple logo.

In line with previous rumors, the shell is significantly thinner than the iPhone 5s and has all of the anticipated cutouts for the iPhone 6, including a mute switch and elongated volume buttons similar to those on the current iPod touch. The shell also houses a cutout for a SIM card tray and possibly the power button, which may be moved from to the top edge to the side to make it more accessible when using the larger phone single-handed.

Apple may unveil both the 5.5-inch and the 4.7-inch version of the iPhone 6 simultaneously, with September 19 as a possible launch date. Based on Apple's past releases, a media event to introduce the new hardware would come roughly a week and a half prior to that date. Both models are said to include a faster A8 processor and new camera options that may see the 4.7-inch version ship with an advanced lens and the 5.5-inch version exclusively use optical image stabilization to improve photo quality.

Article Link: Claimed 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Rear Shell Shown in Video With iPhone 6 Mockups, iPhone 5s

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Can someone show us the space grey rear shell!

BTW the silver back looks like the antenna bands are very minimal and blended in and polished nicely, not bold like some of the mockups show.

PlainviewX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2013
Looks like I'll be going black this time around. Those seams on the white one look God awful.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
If that shell was a mockup, it'd be a pretty damn elaborate one....

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
We're going to double down on secrecy on products. I'm serious.

- Tim Cook, speaking at D10 conference, May 2012.

mr.bee

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
Antwerp, belgium
hmm, I'm not fond of this design actually. too round-ish and the position of the camera in combination with the stripes is just weird.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Is it just me, or do the seams look better on the rear shell? This was to be expected. They're still not my favorite design choice, but the way they rounded them off seems much better. The video also did a terrible job showing the device edge-on. Does the seam go down all the way on the bottom and top? I think that could make it look better, and in this still from the video it appears that might be the case? I've bumped the levels up a little bit so that it removes the shadow. It seems fairly clear that the plastic wraps down which looks much better than some of the mockups I've seen!

Attachments

• iPhone-6-bottom.jpg
    iPhone-6-bottom.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 503

audunhaugland

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2013
Norway
They are hopefully wrong

I'm planning to skip this version, but I really hope it wont look like this. Those bands look really bad.

nastinupe

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2014
It's nice to see someone with some common sense. They actually took all three phones and let us compare the sizes on top of each other. They also took the time to show the thickness of each phone compared to one another. I really appreciate that. At first I wanted the 4.7 but since the 5.5 isn't as wide as the Galaxy Note 3 I think that I would prefer the 5.5 inch. It's the width that makes the Note 3 so difficult to use.

I'm looking forward to purchasing this phone. I just hope that they offer a 128 gb version. I need more space badly.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
This design isn't even announced yet and I'm already sick of seeing it. Part of this is that I didn't really like it in the first place, but I have no doubt when it hits stores the internet will be flooded with reports that it way better in person.

bchery21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2009
Boston, MA
We're going to double down on secrecy on products. I'm serious.

- Tim Cook, speaking at D10 conference, May 2012.

Give it up already :rolleyes:

On Topic: Per typical Apple product, the more you look at it the better it looks (for me, at least). I know people have issues with the width of the bands but doesn't looks too bad. The black one especially looks nice...

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
is it me or does 9to5mac always beat macrumors to the punch on new stuff. they posted this almost 2 hours ago and have had 4 more articles since.

Yep. Looks like they need either 1. simply more authors, or 2. authors that are a lot quicker on the uptake.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2011
The music in the video makes this legit. I remember I saw a video last year with the same music and the leak turned out to be true, so I'm going by that.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Next time instead of spending all the time selecting and mixing in music, generating captions ... take a couple of minutes and wipe all the fingerprints off the freakin’ phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.