Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ios_8_icon.jpg
The third beta release of iOS 8 will not occur until Tuesday, July 8, according to a report from BGR. That timeframe would mark a three-week interval following the release of the second beta last week.

Apple commonly begins seeding versions of its major new iOS versions on roughly two-week intervals, moving to three-week intervals later in the testing period as work progresses. For example, with iOS 7 last year, the second and third betas arrived two weeks after their predecessors with the fourth beta shifting to a three-week interval. Apple did, however, then follow that with several intervals of around a week as it pushed out an urgent bug fix.

iOS 6 followed a similar pattern without the interim bug fix, seeing a two-week interval leading up to the second beta before quickly shifting to three-week intervals for the third and fourth betas.

BGR has a good, but not perfect, track record in predicting iOS beta releases, so it seems likely that there will be no iOS 8 beta release next week.

Article Link: iOS 8 Beta 3 Reportedly Not Launching Until Tuesday, July 8

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Damn. Beta 2 is the buggiest ios beta I've ever tested. No 4G, and twice now my phone has completely frozen on me with the only way to fix it being to wait 4 hours for the battery to run out before charging again!!

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
The sooner the better. Went back to 7.1.1 on my daily because 8 was entirely too buggy

mcfly88

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Damn. Beta 2 is the buggiest ios beta I've ever tested. No 4G, and twice now my phone has completely frozen on me with the only way to fix it being to wait 4 hours for the battery to run out before charging again!!
I completely agree, beta 1 was a lot more stable. Beta 2 feels a bit smoother, but freezes and crashes far more.

fkick

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2013

You can force a hard reboot of the phone by holding down both the home button and power button at the same time until the white apple appears. With beta 2 I'm having to do this at least once every 4-6 hours.

TheBuffather

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
Orlando, FL
Not happy about this. Beta 2 seemed much more stable to me at first, but now I can hardly develop with it at all. Crash after crash. It's useless to me as a dev.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Being 100% realistic, since BGR is saying July 8, it's a safe bet that it will be ANY other day but July 8

Agreed. MR already knows that a bit of web traffic comes from Apple's campus, so somebody in Cupertino is keeping up to date. I like to think Tim occasionally reads the articles and deliberately tells them to release at a different date as an epic troll move.

It's probably not true but you never know ... :)

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Bummer. Running into a known issue in my iPad mini 32g where it keeps filling up every few days even though I only have 10gb of stuff on it. The only way I've been able to clear it is to reset everything and delete data and then restore.

fardeenah

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2013
actually it makes sense because beta 3 of ios 7 came 3 three weeks after beta 2. i assume ios 8 will follow ios 7 beta schedule

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
IF this were true, then it may stand to reason that OS X 10.10 beta/DP 3 may follow suit.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009

Thank god you are a developer and have this on your developer phone and not on your daily driver right?

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
Thank god you are a developer and have this on your developer phone and not on your daily driver right?

I'm a starving developer so my developer phone is my daily driver. Am I allowed under your rules?

wolsoncpa

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2013
Why would anyone assume that they would push a new beta or release during a holiday week?

I'm not sure it makes sense to release it after a holiday week either... everybody waits to get back from vacation and then they hit "send"? It would make more sense to release it before a long break... or at least, just as much sense.

Dookieman

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2009
Beta 2 is running fine on my iPhone 5. It runs a lot better than beta 1 did. Some apps act up or funny, but no freezing or needing to restart.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.