Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MOS Reach is a simple new power solution from MOS, a company that has previously released products like the magnetic MOS and MOS Menos, designed to organize cables in an intuitive way.

MOS Reach combines a three-prong power outlet and dual USB ports with a three-foot cable and a slim profile that is easy to mount on walls and surfaces, relocating power outlets that are inconveniently placed behind and under furniture.

mosreach.jpg
Using adhesive, the MOS Reach can be stuck to a wall or on top of a desk, making it easier to charge iOS devices, Macs, and other electronics. It is designed to be flexible, bending and twisting around "any kind of furniture or obstruction" and it also includes magnets and MOS cable ties to keep cables attached when not plugged into a device.
Features:

- Reach gives you easy access to power outlets that are otherwise obstructed by furniture--no more crawling under desks or shimmying behind dressers to charge your devices.

- Reach has been designed to be as unobtrusive as possible and its compact size ensures that it's never in the way whether you use it on your desk, your nightstand, or your wall.

- Reach consolidates your power outlets and USB wall adapters into an attractive moveable all-in-one power solution.

- Reach helps you cut down on cable clutter by making clever use of Neodymium magnets in conjunction with MOS cable ties to keep out-of-use cables out of the way until you need them.
MOS Reach is able to charge laptops with its power port, and its two USB ports have enough capacity (3.1 amps) to charge the iPad and the iPhone. The cable is encased in a soft-touch TPE jacket that is softer than the PVC typically used, according to MOS.

The MOS Reach is available in both black and white for $25 for the first 800 backers, with prices going up to $30 after that. The MOS Reach is expected to ship in January of 2015.

Article Link: MOS Reach Offers Modern Power Solution with Standard Socket, 2 USB Ports

Danindub

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
Wouldn't this classified as a non-authorised 3rd party charger for iPhone?

as in one of those that can a) damage your phone b) kill you?

evilpaddy

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
Erm... Is it just an overpriced extension cable that happens to have a USB port???

Are these not readily available or am I missing something???

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Soo, I can wait until next year to get an extension cord with usb ports, or take a trip to lowes/walmart/radio shack/home depot/etc etc and buy one for cheaper...

tough choice.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
Couldn't we just buy a 10ft USB extension and plug it in off of my current apple power supply,then plug my lightning connector to that? Plus a 10ft USB extension is like 3.00USD.

BTW,that's what I do now.

Last edited:

BigJayhawk

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
New Jersey
Soo, I can wait until next year to get an extension cord with usb ports, or take a trip to lowes/walmart/radio shack/home depot/etc etc and buy one for cheaper...

tough choice.

Make sure you are getting one that has 3.1 Amps output from the USB port or your iPad may not be charged when you wake up in the morning. THAT is a big factor here (even exceeds the 2.1 iPad Standard).

And yes, why would ANYONE EVER want an iPad? After all, it's just a glorified iPod Touch, right? I mean that would explain why Apple didn't sell any iPads.

;-)

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Erm... Is it just an overpriced extension cable that happens to have a USB port???

Are these not readily available or am I missing something???

Yah, seems to be a glamourized extension cord on the surface. But the attention to small details, like the handy magnets to keep cords tidy, seem to separate it from the alternatives. There's always room for incremental improvements to products in the marketplace, and that seems to be the angle that MOS is going for.

codester

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2011
It's a USB port. If it's following USB specs, it should be fine.

Not exactly. The cheap chargers that are screwing up iPhones have cheap power regulators that let may let more than 5 volts through the USB cable thus ruining the Power IC chip on the logic board. I have fixed 8 iPhone 5's that have had this problem and it isn't fun soldering on the new chip. I'm sure this device has a decent regulator but most of the cheap chinese chargers are complete crap.

OC40

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
Chicago, IL

tough choice.

It's intriguing that you included radio shack and omitted best buy.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I did something like this in my sectional couch. One section has cup holders with an armrest that flips up with storage inside. Behind the couch is a Belkin surge protector that screws into the wall plate. I bought a beige extension cable on Amazon that matches my couch and ran it into the storage bin. I use that to plug in my MacBook Pro when I'm downstairs and the battery runs low. Then I bought an Anker 5-port USB charger on Amazon and that charges my Retina iPad Mini, our "family camera" Sony RX100, my Adobe Ink, our iPhones if we need to top them off during the day, or friends and relatives phones and tablets when they come to stay with us.

Sure mine does more, but for $25 I don't think this is a bad deal considering you get two 3.1Amp USB ports, 125V plug, and surge protection in a small package. My total cost was around $40—although it is really nice to just bring one USB charger on trips for all of our devices. I do recommend the Anker product if you just need a crapload of USB ports that can charge anything.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI

That's because if you went to Best Buy to get it they would tell you that the product doesn't work for your needs, and try to sell you a new computer, smartphone, washer&dryer and 65" television instead. With extended warranties...

kurosov

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2009
Yeah but aren't all 3rd party chargers also "following USB specs"?

Quite a few 3rd party chargers don't use usb and are straight plug to wire.

If you're using a usb based charger as long as the plug is to usb spec and the 30-pin or lightning cable is legit there shouldn't be any problems.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga

Not really, I priced the a few things around town and BB was more, I try not to go there unless I'm desperate.

Oh yah a few more to the list.. fry's, microcenter, big lots? :D

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
considering you get two 3.1Amp USB ports, 125V plug, and surge protection in a small package.
It appears to be a shared 3.1A, which means one full-size iPad and one iPhone (or comparable) at simultaneous full charge capacity. There are very few products that can charge 2 iPads at once.

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
Such a straightforward advertisement. At least it could use a more natural language, I suppose macrumors get paid for these ads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.