Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has added a section for the "Best New Game Updates" on the App Store, allowing users to view recently updated titles from a number of developers. Notable updates to games were previously included in the "Best New Games" section which now includes more recently released titles.

best_new_game_updates_app_store-800x351.png
Titles listed under the new section include Plants vs. Zombies 2, FarmVille 2, and Maleficent Free Fall, which recently received updates that added new enemy types, new animals, and new stages, respectively. Apple also appears to be showcasing a mix of titles from both major developers such as EA and smaller indie developers.

Last month, Apple rolled out a new monthly App Store section highlighting the best apps, games, and updates, joining the other highlighted sections for "App of the Week" and "Editor's Choice". Apple also debuted an "Indie Game Showcase" section on the App Store in March which showcases the best games from independent developers.

Article Link: Apple Rolls Out Section for 'Best New Game Updates' on App Store

helicon1

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2012
Should be splitting games off into their own store and embedding the functionality into the otherwise neglected Game centre

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
A while ago an article talked about them creating relevant word searching (which should have been there since day one) but where's that?

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
A while ago an article talked about them creating relevant word searching (which should have been there since day one) but where's that?

After you do a search (on iOS) using a generic term, it's right under the search bar.

UuSLJ9zm.png

It's not particularly useful; reminds me of the paid section of Java-based prepaid mobile "dumbphones" a few years ago what with the tiny games and $1.99 100x116 wallpapers (you couldn't use your own).

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
After you do a search (on iOS) using a generic term, it's right under the search bar.

It's not particularly useful; reminds me of the paid section of Java-based prepaid mobile "dumbphones" a few years ago what with the tiny games and $1.99 100x116 wallpapers (you couldn't use your own).

Yeah, but as you said, it's not particularly useful. It should be able to bring up relevant apps right when you search... and even the relevance used in the current system isn't very stellar.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Yeah, but as you said, it's not particularly useful. It should be able to bring up relevant apps right when you search... and even the relevance used in the current system isn't very stellar.

It seems like they hand-wrote the list of related terms. I mean... didn't Yahoo learn that this method doesn't scale well back in the 90s? :confused:

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
There are really only two major updates I want to see for the App store, especially as it relates to games.

1. Integrate a game specific app store into game center
2. Provide access to the app store (game center or not) on the AppleTV

Do this and we have a HUGE win.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
People still play games on their phone? Hmm interesting.

If I couldn't play games on iOS I'd probably still own a console.

That being said, I'm not exactly within most console's target market; a simple in-browser Flash game keeps me more interested than most popular titles these days.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
If I couldn't play games on iOS I'd probably still own a console.

That being said, I'm not exactly within most console's target market; a simple in-browser Flash game keeps me more interested than most popular titles these days.

I have call of duty games which I play once in a blue moon.

I believe I'm done with consoles as well

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Too many sections...too less content if you ask me. They should be careful not to make all the same mistakes again as previously with iTunes. It took years to clean that up again with iTunes 11...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.