Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The teardown experts at iFixit have promptly torn down Apple's refreshed 16 GB iPod touch, a day after the device was announced and went on sale. The $199 iPod touch is Apple's new entry-level touch model, adopting the camera and color options of the existing fifth-generation models.

ifixit-16gb-ipod-touch.jpg
The teardown analysis of the 2014 16 GB model found no significant changes from Apple's current 32 GB and 64 GB iPod touch models, which were released in 2012. This "refreshed" device includes the same components as the existing 32 GB iPod touch variant, but with half the storage.
At least, that's the way this camera-laden, 16 GB iPod Touch came to be. We delved inside Apple's "refreshed" device and found the same components we'd seen in Touches of yesteryear, but with 16 GB of on-board flash memory. So it's not really that this 16 GB variant gains a camera -- instead, it loses half of its 32 GB of storage.
Apple has on occasion taken the opportunity of minor product updates to test out new components, but there is little evidence of that occurring with the new iPod touch. Several of the chips have slightly different part numbers than seen on the original fifth-generation iPod touch teardown, but it is not uncommon for such components to be tweaked at times over a product's lifetime. Overall, the layout of the logic board components on the new iPod touch appears identical to that of the original fifth-generation model, providing no evidence of any significant internal changes.

Besides hardware components, the 16 GB iPod touch also shares the same poor repairability of its higher capacity counterparts. As noted in iFixit's original teardown of the fifth-generation iPod touch, the device received a 3 out of 10 repairability score because of its non-removable battery and linked components that must be replaced in groups.

Apple's fifth-generation iPod touch is recognized for its ultrathin form factor and its bright color options, but the hardware is more than a generation behind, with an A5 processor and 5-megapixel iSight camera that put the device's internals on par with the iPhone 4s.

Even with the relatively dated hardware, however, it is unclear when we should expect a more substantial upgrade for the line. Apple traditionally uses its September event to unveil new iPod hardware, but with iPod sales in decline and this recent refresh and price drop to rekindle interest in the device, it is unlikely that Apple will make further changes to its iPod touch lineup in the immediate future.

Article Link: Teardown of New 16 GB iPod Touch Reveals Same Internals and Layout as Larger Capacity Models

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
IPT eventually will be replaced by a version with phone capabilities.

You buy a prepaid-card from any provider and IPT is an iPhone when you need it.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
We've got a new model, which is the old model with less capacity, no smoke and mirrors.

"I think we need to take it apart and make sure they didn't change anything else"

That seems like effort well spent.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I'm half-surprised iFixit didn't find a soldered screen and battery glued with industrial adhesive.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
We've got a new model, which is the old model with less capacity, no smoke and mirrors.

"I think we need to take it apart and make sure they didn't change anything else"

That seems like effort well spent.

it's a lazy move from apple. they could of dropped prices even more.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Right price two years later

This should have been the original lineup/ price in 2012, and retire the fourth gen right away

solamar

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
So just to be clear, they announced a 2 year old product. Got it.

No, they announced massive drop in price on 1 and 1/2 year old product..

64GB model dropped 25% ($100) from $399 to $299 - I'd say that worth an announcement..

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
IPT eventually will be replaced by a version with phone capabilities.

You buy a prepaid-card from any provider and IPT is an iPhone when you need it.

Isn't that an existing unlocked iPhone that you can buy from Apple? Why would Apple want to lower margins??

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I wonder if they will break the user experience to crap on this model once they release iOS 8 later this year totally pissing off those who bought it for their kids this summer?

If they do it'll be a great way to loose customers by souring the taste in their mouths

lotzosushi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
I'm shocked. SHOCKED!!!! :eek:

lol. I wonder what this means for this fall when they usually update the iPod line... Is this a sign the iPods are stagnating and only getting minor updates from now on? A 500GB iPod classic would be nice. :rolleyes:

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
iPod Touch, dead or a phoenix to rise again?

This pricing could suggest Apple is trying to offload iPod stock and parts and kill the line. I mean anybody with an iPhone does not need IPT, and there is definitely a trend where people want larger screens so iPad's and iPad Mini's fill that gap. They could always rebrand IPT the iPad Nano or something.

But, remember that this generation of iPod introduced a new form factor for iDevices that the iPad Air, Mini and now the iPhone have all adopted. So IPT could remain as a "test" platform for future ideas Apple wants to try out before investing into their flagship products. IPT is still the thinnest iDevice out there, and it used to have the same core components as iPad's and iPhones at the time.

If Apple does continues the iPod product, we could see a new model in a year or two that might be a harbinger of what future iPhones and iPads will look like. Work out the kinks of a new design, process or assembly technique, maybe we will see one wrapped in sapphire, or a curved screen.

However, we are definitely in a "post-iPod" era and it may not be worthwhile to invest any more time, effort or money into a product line that is increasingly irrelevant, so Apple is just dumping stock.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
If Apple does continues the iPod product, we could see a new model in a year or two that might be a harbinger of what future iPhones and iPads will look like. Work out the kinks of a new design, process or assembly technique, maybe we will see one wrapped in sapphire, or a curved screen.

Doubtful. Why would you want to introduce new, expensive technologies via your most price-sensitive product category?

----------

it's a lazy move from apple. they could of dropped prices even more.

The iPod line is what is known as a "cash cow." High market share, low growth. To be milked for profits that fund your growth businesses. Classic business strategy.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I wonder if they will break the user experience to crap on this model once they release iOS 8 later this year totally pissing off those who bought it for their kids this summer?

If they do it'll be a great way to loose customers by souring the taste in their mouths

I'm shocked. SHOCKED!!!! :eek:

lol. I wonder what this means for this fall when they usually update the iPod line... Is this a sign the iPods are stagnating and only getting minor updates from now on? A 500GB iPod classic would be nice. :rolleyes:

I suspect that we've just seen this year's only iPod update. Shame.

I have too suspicions that are completely based on only my own thoughts. Therfore we should place this as front page news.

1. With iOS 8, they will update the iPod Touch line with a processor upgrade and older versions will run slower (this prediction should be a surprise to almost noone).

2. If Apple ever gets past the lawsuits over iMessage and FaceTime technology and finally opens it up to others, we could see the ipod touch being an entry level phone that requires no carrier plan subscription. Kind of works that way now with skype, but Apple marketing would only sell this feature when its all Apple.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Wow. The amazing new MacBook Air with a slight processor increase and $100 price drop, the revolutionary breathtaking slower iMac, and the groundbreaking new iPod touch. So far 2014 has been an extraordinary year for Apple. As Tim Cook said "Only Apple could make such amazing hardware and software"

"This is truly the best pipeline I've ever seen in 25 years" -Eddy Cue

In all honestly, it's kinda pathetic to see how cheap Tim Cook is. The 5th gen 16GB iPod touch with out a camera was around for a little over a year. Just because Tim Cook is a cheap greedy cow. The new iMac reinforces that! And the new iPod touch pretty much shows that as well.

Only Apple......

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
If they don't at least update them to the A6 chip in the fall, then I will truly believe they are dead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.