Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bahamut Eos

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Ooo, so sorry aperture users.

Hope this change over works better for you than the switch over to FCPX worked for me. I wouldn't bet money on it going well though.

bumblebritches5

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2012
Michigang
So what will happen to Preview? it still has cropping, and adjustments, etc. will all that be removed from Preview, or will Photos gain the ability to open PDF's and everything else preview opens?

iscand

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2014
Give them time and they'll also kill Final Cut and replace it with some fancy "Movies" app.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeAnd

Suspended
Jan 8, 2008
Bummer for Aperture users

I tried it out four years ago, but I found Lightroom to be better. I suspect most people feel that way, so I can't say it's a huge surprise that Apple is abandoning development.

mikeandbecka

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2005
Southern CA
Holy crap, they better know the doing. The professional development market has been a core of their business forever... Just look at the backlash they got when they watered down Final Cut...

Totally agree.. but FCPX isn't actually "watered down" its actually tremendously better than 7. It was just a crappy release and lack of communication that caused the issues. X is a killer PRO app and in the past 3 years we've had a tremendous amount of pro updates. They are on the ball with that app, surely I would have expected the same for such a great app like Aperture :( sad day for me!

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Idiotic move. Loyal pro customers have been Apple's backbone since day one, killing off a superb, professional grade program for a stripped down, iWork'esque counterpart is not a good move in the slightest.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
People,

You're kidding yourself when you say "The new Photos app must be DAMN good" then... It's not about being an Aperture replacement. It's about being for the mass market, hence Apple is giving the option of migrating from Aperture to Light Room. If you like all the features of Aperture, you won't want to go to Photos.

charliex5

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2008
Seattle, WA
It's still a perfectly functional application. If you need it, use it.

I've used Lightroom since version 1 but I've never cared for their management side of things. For me, editing large amounts of photos quickly is much better in Lightroom, its just always seemed much more difficult for me to manage the photos. I like to use the most up to date apps. This is just really disappointing.

Perhaps I can use the new Photos app to manage the photos and Lightroom for editing. I just spent hours this week organizing all my photos in Aperture. URGH.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
If this follows past patterns:

- The new Photos app will do 99% of what people used Aperture for.

- But not in version one! (There's is SOME hope that the delay of Photos to 2015 makes this not true, but the past pattern is: clean start, then build from there. We saw it with Final Cut on the pro side and iWork on the consumer side when the new version re-gained lost AppleScript tools.)

- But Aperture won't suddenly evaporate. People who need it can keep using it until Photos is ready.

ng-design

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2011
Nashville
This is disappointing. Aperture wasn't quite there yet, but it had potential. I loved the interface.

Lightroom is a powerful and robust program. It has many features, but it sometimes feels clunky and bloated. I hope Adobe will use this momentum of new customers to really step up their game.

With Aperture out of the picture, Lightroom needs to take this to the next level.

Bummer, Apple.

isophia

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2007
OH FOR GODS SAKE. Struggling not to swear loudly, its the bleedin continuation of apple dumping all its pro user base and dumbing down for consumer and prosumer. they massively cocked up the transition with FCPX (which has some fantastic elements i don't question - but some huge failings too) and have lost the massive dominance they had in the industry. Aperture has had no love so i guess better to know where we stand and prepare to have to shift to Adobe but seriously... Bad bad news :(

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I hope Final Cut and Logic are not next on the chopping block.

Give them time and they'll also kill Final Cut and replace it with some fancy "Movies" app.

Per Jim Darymple:

Apple was very clear when I spoke with them this morning that development on other pro apps like Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro is continuing. Professionals in those app categories should not worry about their apps—they will continue as normal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacquesass

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
This is potentially NOT a bad thing.

Photos on iOS8 will allow non-destructive editing - of both JPG and RAW - with iCloud storage and syncing. Apple's new iOS plug-in model should allow deep integration of third-party apps (like DxO Optics Pro or Nik Silver Efex), again with non-destructive editing - without having to round-trip DNG's or TIFF's.

I would LOVE the opportunity to take pictures in the field, upload RAW images to an iPad, start editing, sync RAW's to iCloud as soon as I'm in WiFi range, continue editing (such as using DxO PRIME denoise) on my MBP, see the edits instantly on my iPhone, convert to JPG on my iPhone, and then be able to upload to Flickr/FB/Instagram/etc. from my iPhone. This workflow makes Aperture's (and Lightroom's) workflow look clunky and painful.

napabar

Suspended
Jun 12, 2008
People,

You're kidding yourself when you say "The new Photos app must be DAMN good" then... It's not about being an Aperture replacement. It's about being for the mass market, hence Apple is giving the option of migrating from Aperture to Light Room. If you like all the features of Aperture, you won't want to go to Photos.

Stop making sense! This is the MacRumors forum, dammit!!!!!!

dumbthought

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2012
This doesn't feel right.

I don't like this news. The new iPhoto app can't please both amateurs and professionals / enthusiasts alike. I have a feeling there is going to be an internet rage about this.

While adobe may be quietly grinning, people like me who invested in aperture are going to remain nervous till they can checkout new iPhotos app.:(

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
Oh my god. I JUST bought Aperture this week. Any one think I could get a refund?

The Mac App Store (or even iOS App Store) states that App purchases are final but with that being said, I bought Snapseed when it was $4.99 and a week later they made it free. Apple refunded me the money. Depends on the case I guess. Give it a shot.

cliffster82

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2013
This is really weird.

I can't imagine professional photographers editing their high-dollar photos in the same application their mothers use to sync pictures of cats to all of their devices. Very strange indeed. Maybe something like "Pro Photos" will follow???

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
This is really weird.

I can't imagine professional photographers editing their high-dollar photos in the same application their mothers use to sync pictures of cats to all of their devices. Very strange indeed. Maybe something like "Pro Photos" will follow???

They'll just switch to Lightroom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.